E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Strange stuff electrical

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 09:17 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545i
Default Strange stuff electrical

S0 5 of us get in the car to go to lunch today. Turn key... Nothing. Stop, think that's weird. Pull key out, pit it in & starts right up.

Go to lunch. Come out, get in turn key & again no start. Try pulling it out and trying again but no go. Hmmm....

Everyone out. Lock doors, unlock, just I get in and it starts right up. Weird?

Drive to work, drop off the harem of 4 girls I went to lunch with. Drive to local Indy. He hooks it up & checks for faults. Shows none. He turns it off & starts it multiple times. Scan shows battery is a-ok. 70% charge. (No charge which is nice!)

Go back to work. Park it. Work. Come out & it starts right up.

On way home I need gas. Stop & fill up. Get in, starts up but CCC doesn't work. AC is on but screen is black & no radio. Weird?!

Drive home, park.

Going to dinner. Starts no prob. CCC works but all radio stations have been reset.

Park, eat, get in & starts right up. CCC works, and parking distance sensors work sonically but no on screen graphics showing how close I am.

Weird stuff. Hmmm?

Last edited by Gangplank; 09-04-2014 at 05:30 AM.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:29 PM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

When the battery or alternator start to fail the electronics will get really screwy and throw all kinds of errors . Get the battery and alternator checked and make sure the charging system is working correctly ..

Last edited by H F; 09-04-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:19 PM
New Members

Battery was checked and showed 70% charging. It is 3.5 years old and I live in a HOT climate here in Las Vegas so 4 years is about the max we get out of them + my commute is not far either.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:50 PM
H F
New Members

70% is not fully charged . These cars are very power hungry , and require a fully charged battery and a healthy charging system . With 63 computer modules and sophisticated electronics that are very sensitive to low voltage .. Also batteries can start to fail at any time ,, you can't expect for a battery to last 4 to 5 yrs and hold that expectation .. When it's time to replace Its time to replace no matter how old it is . As soon as my battery acts up I replace it .. I hate to break down and have starting issues . I really don't expect a battery to last more than 3 to 3 1/2 yrs that's when I start to think about a new one if I get 4 it's all good . I also use a battery and alternator monitor that I plug into my cigarette lighter to give me a early warning if the battery voltage drops and Alternator charging is starting to fail ...

Last edited by H F; 09-04-2014 at 08:08 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:17 AM
New Members

Sounds like a good device to have. Found one on Amazon.

Last edited by Gangplank; 09-05-2014 at 05:09 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:32 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 530i

Originally Posted by H F
70% is not fully charged . These cars are very power hungry , and require a fully charged battery and a healthy charging system . With 63 computer modules and sophisticated electronics that are very sensitive to low voltage .. Also batteries can start to fail at any time ,, you can't expect for a battery to last 4 to 5 yrs and hold that expectation .. When it's time to replace Its time to replace no matter how old it is . As soon as my battery acts up I replace it .. I hate to break down and have starting issues . I really don't expect a battery to last more than 3 to 3 1/2 yrs that's when I start to think about a new one if I get 4 it's all good . I also use a battery and alternator monitor that I plug into my cigarette lighter to give me a early warning if the battery voltage drops and Alternator charging is starting to fail ...
Can you please give us the name and model number?
Best,
PatNg
Old 09-05-2014, 10:04 AM
H F
New Members

Originally Posted by PatNg
Can you please give us the name and model number?
Best,
PatNg
Couple pics of it in my car . Here is a different one than mine but I like it cause it has an actual test switch to check the system and also the one I have in my car . If the monitor gives me any indication of voltage drop or over /under charging by the alternator ,I then get my volt meter and do a actual voltage check directly to the battery. This Is a good inexpensive early warning system I just keep it in the lighter socket all the time, Better than it sitting in my tool box or center council ...
Amazon.com: Brookshire Innovations Battery and Charging System Tester EK1-139: Automotive Amazon.com: Brookshire Innovations Battery and Charging System Tester EK1-139: Automotive

Amazon.com: Easy Instant Car Battery & Alternator Tester - Test Battery & Alternator without Opening Hood!: Automotive Amazon.com: Easy Instant Car Battery & Alternator Tester - Test Battery & Alternator without Opening Hood!: Automotive
Attached Thumbnails Strange stuff electrical-008.jpg   Strange stuff electrical-004.jpg  

Last edited by H F; 09-05-2014 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:02 PM
New Members

Oil change, tranny flush, brake flush & New Battery today.

Drove home... All good. Pull in driveway, turn off car, seat belt malfunction light comes on. WTF?
Old 09-05-2014, 06:50 PM
H F
New Members

Did the new battery fix the electrical gremlins ?

I think since you just installed a new battery . It's possible the BST cable was damaged and triggered the seat belt fault ,, it's on the positive battery cable . You have to be really care full not to damage it when removing the battery cable .

Last edited by H F; 09-05-2014 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:40 PM
New Members

The gremlins were on Tuesday. Didn't happen on Wednesday. Replaced battery anyway b/c it's 3.5 yrs old.

So now no gremlins, but have passenger seatbelt restraint msg. Says keep belt on and drive to dealer.

I'm going to be sort of annoyed if it's the BST. Battery was replaced by a good local Indy so if they broke it I sure hope they'll replace it.

Is it possible it tripped when I simultaneously turned off car & released my belt? That's when it lit up.

Last edited by Gangplank; 09-05-2014 at 08:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Strange stuff electrical