E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Strange Noise after turning off

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 11:27 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White F11 520D SE 2013
Thumbs up

The last couple of mornings, after i turn off and open the drivers door after my 25 mile commute, i hear a very strange sound. Don't know how to describe it - like a muted, very tired baby cry! I have checked and i don't have any stowaway babies in or under my car so i'm wondering what it is. it lasts for about 5 seconds. i thought it might be something resetting/moving but it sounds too irregular for that, the outside temperature has dropped to about 2 degrees C now so is that anything to do with it (clutching at straws now)!

Can anybody make any sense of that cryptic description?

2004 530i SE
Old 10-23-2007, 02:01 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Cojones' post='484904' date='Oct 23 2007, 02:27 AM
The last couple of mornings, after i turn off and open the drivers door after my 25 mile commute, i hear a very strange sound. Don't know how to describe it - like a muted, very tired baby cry! I have checked and i don't have any stowaway babies in or under my car so i'm wondering what it is. it lasts for about 5 seconds. i thought it might be something resetting/moving but it sounds too irregular for that, the outside temperature has dropped to about 2 degrees C now so is that anything to do with it (clutching at straws now)!

Can anybody make any sense of that cryptic description?

2004 530i SE

It is normal to hear some noises after shutting the engine off. The car would be switching off its systems one by one and doing some reseting..etc.
I wouldn't worry about it. Mine does the same and I am sure others too.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Hmm, you day door open. That's unique: I've only smelled hot oil and brakes after stopping and opening my door after doing some pounding and high-rev shifts, braking, etc.

Inside, with the door closed and ingition off, there is a series of whirrs and clicks as various systems shut down. Maybe one of those whirrs, with age, has turned into a wail?? (like the squalling as a fan bearing begins to fail on a computer)

Ray
Old 10-23-2007, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

It is normal to hear some noises coming from different parts of the car after shutdown. The whirring and clicking audible from the cabin is likely the nav DVD disc spinning and/or seeking.

The muted "tired baby" sound that you might hear outside the car could be the cooling fan on the audio system amplifier. If you think the noise is coming from the left-rear quarter panel, then that's probably what it is...
Old 10-24-2007, 11:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Cojones,

I would rather not say that any strange noise is normal.
However, it is usual for the car to make some really odd noises. Mine also has the "tired baby" Wahhh sound. I put it down to the heating system closing down various flaps when you switch off. It also happens occasionally when you drive off from cold, on a cold morning, only it then does the noise in a series of shorter muted "barks" (it's not very loud). I put that down to the flaps opening, but the climate control sensing that both the interior and exterior are too cold, and so shutting the flaps again.

Of course, my suppositions could be complete cobblers, but it keeps me happy!

Mike
Old 10-24-2007, 12:00 PM
Members

My Ride: 525d E60

mine 'ticks' a lot and quite loudly too after turning it off..... and yes, it smells too (if there wasn't much traffic on the way home)

other sounds:

at startup it pumps something (dieselpump?)
and after the airco was on this releases a hiss (not loud) too

dvd drive also sometimes whirrs at odd moments.

some relay is also 'ticking' quite loudly if you turn it on 'contact' but not start it.

when it's cold outside it dings (as if I didnt notice that when walking to the car)

when I go too fast it dings (I know, I set the limit myself)

when I turn the engine off with the automatic in 'N' it dings

when I don't put on my seatbelt it dings (hardly hear that one though)

when I'm in a traffic jam and want to take my foot off the brake by putting it in 'N' I have to push the brake, also when rolling very slowly. No noise here, but so annoying that I'd like to mention it anyway

but otherwise the car is pleasantly silent and not ding-dong-ing at stupid moments.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted

Hello, it does the same for few seconds .. I got 535d 2005, I thought it could be some coolers spins, anyway do not get bothered by that.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:51 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by hondik' post='485643' date='Oct 24 2007, 03:36 PM
Hello, it does the same for few seconds .. I got 535d 2005, I thought it could be some coolers spins, anyway do not get bothered by that.

After shutdown, mine makes an electronic humming/whining sound for about 1-2 seconds every 15 seconds. This lasts for at least an hour. Coming from engine compartment. I notice is after i wash the car and im drying it. Not real loud but its definately there. Seems normal to me for some reason so I don't question it.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

Originally Posted by Veight' post='485655' date='Oct 24 2007, 04:51 PM
After shutdown, mine makes an electronic humming/whining sound for about 1-2 seconds every 15 seconds. This lasts for at least an hour. Coming from engine compartment. I notice is after i wash the car and im drying it. Not real loud but its definately there. Seems normal to me for some reason so I don't question it.
Ditto
Old 10-11-2023, 04:56 PM
New Members

My Ride: 530i 2007
Model Year: 2007
Engine: 3.0L FL DOCH 6 cyl

Originally Posted by the-oneil
It is normal to hear some noises after shutting the engine off. The car would be switching off its systems one by one and doing some reseting..etc.
I wouldn't worry about it. Mine does the same and I am sure others too.
ok now what if it’s making that noise when shutting off and you feel heat on your knees coming out of the stereo area and car hasn’t been on in the last 2 hours I fried my rdc module and it’s connected still if you check out my posts you will see what I’m talking about.