E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Strange Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 10:08 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Its hot here in Chicago. Well, at least it cooled off today.

Anyway, I've been cruising around with the AC on and everything is quite peachy with the car. However, every now and again I'll hear a very faint tick sound, like a pebble hitting the car (like the bumper or windshield). First thoughts were cars ahead peppering the E60 with tiny stones, calling for quick lane changes or the application of the hammer to get in front. Nice. However, I now notice this sound with no cars in front. Its really faint and cannot be classified as a creak or rattle. The car is solid.

Maybe its a function of the hot weather, AC and the door seals. I know there have been many posts regarding door seal issues. Or, maybe its related to AC only. Anyone experiencing this? Again, its very minor, pretty anal of me, but maybe its the beginning of something else.

CVT Benhogan
Old 08-03-2006, 10:10 AM
Members

Drive it and see if it gets worse have no clue what it could be though.
Door seals went bad in mine and its annoying as hell due to replace them on 21st.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

The last month was the hottest July we ever had over here in Germany. Temperatures were up to 106F. I've never heard a sound like that on mine and the A/C was allways on, but I also allways have the radio on...
Old 08-03-2006, 11:12 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' post='318653' date='Aug 3 2006, 01:08 PM
Again, its very minor, pretty anal of me, but maybe its the beginning of something else.
Isn't it funny how we monitor the health of our E60s better than we do our own bodies?

I have not heard such noises, but my baby has been parked at O'Hare all week while I've been slogging up and down the East Coast. I will listen carefully when I get back.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' post='318653' date='Aug 3 2006, 01:08 PM
Its hot here in Chicago. Well, at least it cooled off today.

Anyway, I've been cruising around with the AC on and everything is quite peachy with the car. However, every now and again I'll hear a very faint tick sound, like a pebble hitting the car (like the bumper or windshield). First thoughts were cars ahead peppering the E60 with tiny stones, calling for quick lane changes or the application of the hammer to get in front. Nice. However, I now notice this sound with no cars in front. Its really faint and cannot be classified as a creak or rattle. The car is solid.

Maybe its a function of the hot weather, AC and the door seals. I know there have been many posts regarding door seal issues. Or, maybe its related to AC only. Anyone experiencing this? Again, its very minor, pretty anal of me, but maybe its the beginning of something else.

CVT Benhogan
I was washing my car last month in the heat and the windshield cracked. The dealer replaced it free as they said it was a stress crack. Maybe your windshield is getting ready to do the same??? I used to hear the same sound before it actually happened.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:26 AM
Members

This may sound stupid, but when mine has been left in the sun, & interior gets real hot, the leather clicks where it touches, eg seat back to cushion contact point. I guess it sticks in the heat. If I just run fingers along the gap to release it, before setting off, it is OK. May be worth a try!
Old 08-04-2006, 06:35 AM
Senior Members

Check driver's seatbelt also, sometimes the mechnism clicks when your body moves. Really faint clicking too.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='318673' date='Aug 3 2006, 01:52 PM
The last month was the hottest July we ever had over here in Germany. Temperatures were up to 106F. I've never heard a sound like that on mine and the A/C was allways on, but I also allways have the radio on...

Iceman,

Good to hear from you. Its a honor.

CVT Benhogan
Old 08-04-2006, 06:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by TexaZ3' post='318914' date='Aug 4 2006, 10:35 AM
Check driver's seatbelt also, sometimes the mechnism clicks when your body moves. Really faint clicking too.
My driver side seat belt does that once a while. I don't even bother to ask dealer to look into it...
Old 08-04-2006, 07:32 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by lcc014' post='318926' date='Aug 4 2006, 09:58 AM
My driver side seat belt does that once a while. I don't even bother to ask dealer to look into it...

My car is at the dealer right now, getting bunch of small fixes like headlight brackets, MP3, bluetooth, door seals, rattle in steering column, so I told them to look into the seatbelt clcking as well. Will report what the will find.

Also, seems like I'm getting another set of tires (2nd replacement set) and my SA mentioned that (if I don't mind) they might put a set of Michelin Pilots NON run flats instead. I said it would be ok! :-) Has anyone had their RFTs replaced with regular Michelins?

Quick Reply: Strange Noise