E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Stock 550i fuel system capabilities

Old 04-24-2017, 10:46 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: White 2004 545i sport
Default Stock 550i fuel system capabilities

What's up everyone.. I have a 2008 550i LCI package. I've gone through and replaced all the seals on the motor among a few other things. The car is running like a top. I've had two complete nitrous setups sitting in the garage for awhile for other projects. I've decided that I'm going to install the bottle in the bimmer for awhile.

my question is how reliable is the stock fuel pump on these cars? How much are they capable of flowing before the pressure can't keep up? Is there a fuel pressure(low pressure) safety switch built into these cars from the factory?

what size/flow are the factory fuel injectors? I've heard that they can be unreliable on the n54 motors. Are the injectors on the n62 motors any different?

i have a wet kit setup with all the safety switches. But I'm considering just going with a small dry shot depending on the fuel pump and injector capabilities. Or might eventually get a small fuel tank and run a standalone setup with e85 or race gas in it for the octane. But that's something to consider down the road.. I'd rather just use what I already have.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:48 AM
Members

Also, if anyone knows (from experience) how these motors run on copper plugs, please chime in. I'd rather not run the platinum plugs with nitrous, as they usually don't do well.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:55 AM
Members

Ttt....

​​​​​​​anybody?
Old 04-28-2017, 12:31 PM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by chrisxiv
Ttt....

​​​​​​​anybody?
Probably nobody has the experience or knowledge to answer you. If you know that platinum plugs don't do well on nitrous (I really don't understand what you mean - the plugs wear out or the engine doesn't perform well?), why don't you just try copper plugs without nitrous and see how they (or engine) perform?

Search this Thread