E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Stinky Bimmer

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 02:47 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may want to look into removing the passenger seat plus maybe a few trim pieces in order to lift up the wet carpet area and get it really dry under there.

The issue is that the carpet is a lot thicker than just the carpet weave - the backing is a thick insulating foam that soaks up water as well as any sponge would. And it can get kind of thick in spots as it is molded to follow the contours of the floor structure.

Good luck.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:49 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530 XI, 19 VMR VB3, matte grills, RPI scoop, MTEC V2 Angel Eyes

Well everybody...I got real curious and of course wanted to get to the bottom of something, so I started taking moldings off t raise the carpet. There is allot of WATER!!!!! I am so sad! I am calling BMW tommorrow to see if they can do something for me but hope my extended warranty covers this. I got "ASC" factory type warranty. Also, would I have to put everything back together? or can I take it with the back seat off and moldings off? there is still allot of water in the molding. I am already planning for the worst and expecting them to say warranty doesn't cover this and in that case I'm taking the seat off (going to try) and try to clean all the water. Man this sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! any insight?
Old 09-27-2010, 07:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: ***SOLD*** 2006 530xi Sapphire Metallic Black with Auburn Dakota Leather Sport Seats, Dark Poplar Wood Trim,Cold, Premium,Premium Sound,Sport Package Steptronic,Active Cruise Control Comfort access, Comfort Seats, Front and Rear Heated seats Adaptive Headlights, Idrive, Navigation, Bluetooth, Sirius Radio, Ipod Interface ACS roof, ACS trunk spoiler, front ACS bumper spoiler with carbon fiber lip and carbon pillars. 20% tints all around. 19' Bremmer rims.

Originally Posted by casualvic
Well everybody...I got real curious and of course wanted to get to the bottom of something, so I started taking moldings off t raise the carpet. There is allot of WATER!!!!! I am so sad! I am calling BMW tommorrow to see if they can do something for me but hope my extended warranty covers this. I got "ASC" factory type warranty. Also, would I have to put everything back together? or can I take it with the back seat off and moldings off? there is still allot of water in the molding. I am already planning for the worst and expecting them to say warranty doesn't cover this and in that case I'm taking the seat off (going to try) and try to clean all the water. Man this sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! any insight?

I had the car towed to bmw with all the parts off on the back seat, i also took pictures with a ruler so show how deep the water was before I drained and dried everything. They could smell it when they opened the doors. I ended up go through my car insurance b/c i was out of warrantee. They asked if i had a warrantee and then told me about the drains are my responsibility. Mention that the owners manual doesnt mention the drains if they say its b/c the drains are clogged maybe they will meet you half way or something. But maybe you'll get lucky and it will be covered. My insurance carrier payed a big chunk of it and I paid the difference in labor etc... Insist that they have to replace the carpets and just clean them b/c you will get a mold smell since the padding is very thick. I called bmw and said there was water on my floor board that I was having it towed in b/c i was getting crazy messages on my idrive. Once I was there i explained all that I found and they acted like it was no big deal as if its something they see everyday. Thats when i found out that its a common problem. Just be honest and mention everything that you have concerns on.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: ***SOLD*** 2006 530xi Sapphire Metallic Black with Auburn Dakota Leather Sport Seats, Dark Poplar Wood Trim,Cold, Premium,Premium Sound,Sport Package Steptronic,Active Cruise Control Comfort access, Comfort Seats, Front and Rear Heated seats Adaptive Headlights, Idrive, Navigation, Bluetooth, Sirius Radio, Ipod Interface ACS roof, ACS trunk spoiler, front ACS bumper spoiler with carbon fiber lip and carbon pillars. 20% tints all around. 19' Bremmer rims.

Originally Posted by v_therussian
I thought I read somewhere that BMW says that the drains are NOT customer-serviceable. Meaning, there's no way for us to clean them ourselves and almost no way to know when they are clogged. Which would mean that BMW has to cover this issue IMHO.

I thought the same thing until they told me differently and pointed the drains out to me and explained what to do. So every since then I've been shooting air in and making sure leaves aren't under my hood by the windshield. After a washing i open the sun roof make sure everything is dry and shoot air into the holes. I'm not taking any chances if i know its going to rain heavy i put a car cover on my new car ha ha..
Old 09-27-2010, 12:21 PM
Members

I called my local BMW (Baron KS) and I have an appointment for this thurs 30 Sep. They already scheduled a loaner for me. I really hope my extended warranty "ASC" covers it. I also hope they fix the carpet or replace it. Will keep everyone posted
Old 10-05-2010, 03:13 AM
Members

What was the outcome man?
Old 10-06-2010, 11:11 AM
Members

Well, to start off, the representative was a DUD! I cannot believe he works for BMW. anyways, I took it to the dealership and droped the car off 9:00 in the morning and got a call around 3:00. and the rep said that my extended warranty "ASC" would not cover the work. But the rep never told me what the "work" was, he gave me a print out and it only stated the ammount it would cost ($600) and the print out didnt have anything saying what they performed on the car that day. So I left..pissed and worried. That weekend I decided to take out the seat, dry all the water and try to take matters into my own hands.
I removed the seat
raised the carpet
dried it
poured water in sunroof drain holes and water came out in lower front by tires.Well, here's were it gets promising. I installed a BMS chip in the ECU area a while back and when I put back the cover which goes on the right side by the window, I guess I didnt clip it on correctly and there was a gap. it seems like the gap let water come down to some part and some way got inside the right front and rear flooe board. I hope that is the case because I fixed it and now it is closed shut!
Old 10-06-2010, 12:12 PM
Members

Good stuff man! I hope it fixes your problem! And I hope that never happens with my 08 528i
Old 10-06-2010, 05:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

does the sunroof drain to the front only? or are there drains to the rear? reason i ask is, cause if your sunroof seal is old or original, and you park on an upward slope and its raining out, the water will leak in and wont drain out the front drains.
have you replaced your sunroof seal? i would change that first. they lose their shape and let water in, and make a lot of wind noise on the highway.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:11 AM
Members

Very sad to say that the water came back in!!!I thought I fixed the problem, but NO!!!!!! My next step is to replace the sunroof seal and to check if the rear drains are clogged, does anybody have any tutorials or hints? also, were can I purchace a good sunn roof seal?

Quick Reply: Stinky Bimmer