E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

!!!STEREO MALFUCTION!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 09:41 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi to all

today on the way back from work, my stereo just stop working, but for some reason only the LEFT HAND SIDE (RONT AND REAR) stopped working. i did notice though a few days ago and today the left handside front speaker was makingh a few crackling/distortional noises.

i hope its only a simple fix, maybe a fuse or loose wire but where do i start? have any of you guys had any similar problems? dont really want to be spending loads of money on getting it sorted so hope someone somewhere will be able to help so that i can do a DIY JOB on it.

i have checked the balance and fader from the i-drive, and it is in the middle and i havent been listening to it on full volume so i dont think the speakers are blown.

i dont have the logic 7 system, and my car is 2005 msport.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:49 AM
Contributors

Amp could be blown on 1 channel.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2012 535i M package

Originally Posted by parmblagan' post='760748' date='Jan 6 2009, 01:41 PM
Hi to all

today on the way back from work, my stereo just stop working, but for some reason only the LEFT HAND SIDE (RONT AND REAR) stopped working. i did notice though a few days ago and today the left handside front speaker was makingh a few crackling/distortional noises.

i hope its only a simple fix, maybe a fuse or loose wire but where do i start? have any of you guys had any similar problems? dont really want to be spending loads of money on getting it sorted so hope someone somewhere will be able to help so that i can do a DIY JOB on it.

i have checked the balance and fader from the i-drive, and it is in the middle and i havent been listening to it on full volume so i dont think the speakers are blown.

i dont have the logic 7 system, and my car is 2005 msport.
is your warranty gone?
Old 01-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='760750
is your warranty gone?
no. tha why it sucks LOL
Old 01-06-2009, 10:10 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='760750' date='Jan 6 2009, 06:49 PM
Amp could be blown on 1 channel.
if i get an after market amp, is it easy to wire up? i have done a few installs before so i take it shouldnt be to difficult, all i need to know which wire is which, from there it shouldnt be to difficult, so a wiring diagram would be usefull
Old 01-06-2009, 01:14 PM
Members

hi guys

i cant work this one out at all, i will strip the boot on the week end but all i need to know is where is the amp. i think its in the back oppoiste side to the battery, behind the covers. i dont want to really start stripping it to find i dont have a amp, so anyone with a 2005 uk spec e60 (not logic 7 system) does it have an amp in the boot?

i hope the amp hasnt gone, but i hope its just a faulty wire or blown fuse which can be replaced easly.

does anyone have any new ideas why the left hand speakers suddenly stopped working without any good reason
Old 01-07-2009, 03:47 AM
Members

i guys

i have spoken to my dealer this morning about the problem with my speakers, he thinks that the amp (thats if i have got one) has packed up. he also thinks that getting a 2nd hand amp would be the best option but i wnated to know:

a: other than stripping the car, how can i find out if it has a amp in the boot?

b: if it does have an amp, can it be replaced with an after market amp, will the system fuction properly?

c: if i get a 2nd/used amp can does it need to be programed by BMW again to match the car?

i have asked the dealer these question but he could answer them for me
Old 01-07-2009, 06:35 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Unless you have Logic 7 then you cannot blame the amp, I would blame the HU instead. You can see which amp you have just by removing the cover on the left side of the boot. If its a small alu box then its the hi-fi amp and bigger one is the L7 and none is the standard EU system.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:10 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='761610' date='Jan 7 2009, 11:35 AM
Unless you have Logic 7 then you cannot blame the amp, I would blame the HU instead. You can see which amp you have just by removing the cover on the left side of the boot. If its a small alu box then its the hi-fi amp and bigger one is the L7 and none is the standard EU system.

I had the same problem on my e60 only it was the right hand side. Anyway i first checked the speakers for loose wire all wer ok, then i pulled the headunit out BINGO there was a loose wire hanging out off unit pused it back in all ok. Hope this helps good luck.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:49 AM
Members

hey poolie

did you have the CCC Head Unit, was it difficult to remove it?

Quick Reply: !!!STEREO MALFUCTION!!!