E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Steptronic Transmission - Manual Mode

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 03:10 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind
Smile

My Automatic Transmission has been behaving in a weird manner recently. When on the manual mode it can upshift to higher gears upon releasing the accelerator. I state the sequence of events here:

1. I put the car on Manual Mode.
2. I start accelerating to 5,000 rpm or so on second gear (M2).
3. I release the accelerator pedal and slow down a bit.
4. The car upshifts automatically at 4,000 rpm to M3 then to M4 then to M5 then to M6 in front of eyes.

This behaviour never existed previously. The transmission has been doing this for around a month or so. It is behaving in the manual mode as if it is exactly in the DS mode, i.e. upshifting when you release the accelerator pedal for short amount of time.

Did anyone experience this problem before? And if so how can it be fixed? Is it just software gone corrupt or it might be some piece of hardware?

NB: I have also noticed that sometimes the transmission might shift 400-500 rpms earlier than red line when having the accelerator pedal on kickdown in DS mode. I do not understand how is this possible.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

the transmission is programmed to stop you hitting the red line or the limiter even in manual mode
Old 08-26-2009, 03:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

Originally Posted by BLooD' post='989060' date='Aug 26 2009, 01:14 PM
the transmission is programmed to stop you hitting the red line or the limiter even in manual mode

I know that. I stated that it upshifts after releasing the accelerator pedal in the middle rpm of the gear ( around 4000 or so), not at the limiter (my limiter is at 6,500).
Old 08-26-2009, 03:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by Shebs' post='989063' date='Aug 26 2009, 07:25 AM
I know that. I stated that it upshifts after releasing the accelerator pedal in the middle rpm of the gear ( around 4000 or so), not at the limiter (my limiter is at 6,500).
Upshifting in manual mode in the manner you described is not normal. My Step only upshifts automaticaaly in Manual Mode if I am approaching the redline. Looks like someone should look at your tranny.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

When you switch over to manual (move the shifter to the side), do you push up or pull down on the lever to take it out of sport automatic mode?
I am not insulting your intelligence, just trying to get an Idea.

Tonymac
Old 08-26-2009, 03:55 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tonymac' post='989069' date='Aug 26 2009, 01:44 PM
When you switch over to manual (move the shifter to the side), do you push up or pull down on the lever to take it out of sport automatic mode?
I am not insulting your intelligence, just trying to get an Idea.

Tonymac
You have insulted my intelligence for sure .

When I want to select the manual mode I go to the BMW dealer, uninstall my automatic transmission gearbox, install a new manual transmission gearbox and shifting stick, and then select the gears manually .

Tonymac, just joking man.

Guys I am really annoyed because I know if I go to BMW dealer they will diagnose the car in 29 hours then repair it in 76 hours, then I will get the car in the same condition again .
Old 08-26-2009, 04:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by Shebs' post='989073' date='Aug 26 2009, 07:55 AM

When I want to select the manual mode I go to the BMW dealer, uninstall my automatic transmission gearbox, install a new manual transmission gearbox and shifting stick, and then select the gears manually .

Guys I am really annoyed because I know if I go to BMW dealer they will diagnose the car in 29 hours then repair it in 76 hours, then I will get the car in the same condition again .
If my memory serves me right, I recall there being some posts about a transmission reset that you could do. You may want to try the search function here to find it.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

Hahhaha, sorry man... But that was fuuuuny!

Good luck bro!

Tonymac
Old 08-27-2009, 04:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

Try to reset the tranny and see if that works.

Originally Posted by Shebs' post='989073' date='Aug 26 2009, 07:55 AM

Old 08-28-2009, 04:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Moopai' post='990208' date='Aug 27 2009, 02:12 PM
Try to reset the tranny and see if that works.
And how can I do that?

Quick Reply: Steptronic Transmission - Manual Mode