E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

steptronic question...dynamic shifting

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 03:26 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just either use Manual Mode most of the time, then DS. Never want to use D - it's slow.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:51 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525xi 3.0 215 horsepower 185lb/ft torque Monocobleu Metallic paint, on beige interior.. Cold Weather Package... Heated front seats, steering wheel and headlamp washers. Standard 10 speaker soundsystem.

i just took out my 525xi on some backroads... i never knew that this whole ds thing even existed... thats why i was wondering... man is it alot more responsive, it holds the gear alot longer than it would normally... the new 3.0l engines in the 525s are really good compared to the 2.5l - 185hp
Old 08-15-2006, 04:59 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep. DS is much much better than D. If you're selling your car and let buyer drive in D, he/she'd say BMW power sucks!
Old 08-15-2006, 09:09 PM
DBU
Contributors

To add to the OPs confusion, the steptronic has two internal settings for each selectable mode (D, DS and M). These settings are named Economical and Sport. Each time the car starts (not sure, but I think this means each time the car starts from zero speed, i.e. takes off, rather than firing up the motor), the car learns your driving style. If you push down the throttle quickly, it goes into sport mode rather than econo mode. This feature is one of the hidden advantages of "drive by wire" (no throttle cable - it's all electronics).

The click the OP felt at the bottom of the accelerator is the "kick-down switch." You go there, and you are almost guaranteed an instant downshift (except if that would result in an over-rev situation).
Old 08-16-2006, 02:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by AceBMW5' post='322991' date='Aug 15 2006, 04:09 PM
In DS, does it shift down to gear 1 when coming to a stop, cuz i knnow that M shifts down to 2 automatically......
intersting, also another question,
Please see my reply in post 8.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 520d with BMW Night Vision, Adaptive Bi-Xenon, Adaptive Cruise Control, Pro Logic 7, Pro Nav with DVD changer and TV, Aux in for Ipod, Hella White Taillamps, Red Angel eyes, HUD, BMW Individual Backseat DVD with infrared headsets, Alp White 3, Comfort Seats with ventilation electric memory, sunroof, PDC, Alpine remap, M-Sport, Dynamic Drive, Steptronic ..... (ALL OPTIONS) (Why not get all options then buying a bigger engine?)

D= DRIVE
DS= DRIVE SPORT
Old 08-16-2006, 04:35 AM
Members

My Ride: carbon black/black dakota, M package with M aero kit, M suspension and 18" 135 M style wheels - steptronic, adaptive bi-xenon, active steering, moonroof, comfort seats, comfort access, nav pro, logic7, CD, HUD, PDC and some ...

I tried DS mode on longer Autobahn passages and in normal driving conditions (mix of city, autobahn and country roads), monitoring fuel consumption. Due to later shifting points, more frequent changes of gear and very late shifting into 6th at higher speeds, consumption in the mix went up from 13.4 l/km to 15.3 l/km, for Autobahn only from 13.0 l/km to 16.2 l/km! My recommendation, at least for the V8: use D mode for daily use, or M mode, if you think you have to.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:45 AM
Members

My Ride: 525D, auto, xenon, navsat pro, brown leather, pd, hifi, heated seats, sun-screens

Originally Posted by oyster' post='323146' date='Aug 16 2006, 02:35 PM
I tried DS mode on longer Autobahn passages and in normal driving conditions (mix of city, autobahn and country roads), monitoring fuel consumption. Due to later shifting points, more frequent changes of gear and very late shifting into 6th at higher speeds, consumption in the mix went up from 13.4 l/km to 15.3 l/km, for Autobahn only from 13.0 l/km to 16.2 l/km! My recommendation, at least for the V8: use D mode for daily use, or M mode, if you think you have to.

I know this has been discussed many times before, but it would be very good if BMW would be able to program the gearbox differently for each engine type. I have a 2.5D and it really does not make a lot of sense to have it shift back a gear if you hit the gas (no kickdown) and have a diesel engine rev up to 3500 rpm..

oh well, if the car would be perfect what would we have left to complain about on this forum ;-)
Old 08-16-2006, 06:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525Xi Build: Sep 2005 Del: May 2006 Ti Silver | Black | Premium Pkg. | Cold Weath. | Step | Xenon Adapt.

Originally Posted by Znod' post='322990' date='Aug 15 2006, 06:05 PM
Also, as mentioned, for the vast majority of all mortals, the Step will not shift automtically into 6th when in DS. Incidentally, if you hold forward on the lever when in a particular gear, then the Step will delay shifitng from that gear "as long as it thinks possible." Also, let's say you are going 60 MPH. Well, you can downshift as far as you want. Let's say you downshift all the way to M1. The car won't yet go to M1. But, the effect will be that it will put you in M1 ASAP--which is a very handy thing to be able to do.
I don't do as much highway driving as I used to, and never noticed it didn't shift into 6th. I'll have to play with that and the hold lever forward trick.

I suppose I'm getting old (or maybe just becoming a Camry driver ) but I use DS much less than I initially expected to. Yes, it is more exciting and visceral, but for my everyday drives, I'm finding I prefer the smoother shifts of D. And it really is hard to get used to how unresponsive the tranny is when stirring manually, coming from a real manual. For my driving today, I really find little advantage in shifting because the transmission really does a pretty good job of selecting the right gear, much better than old automatics I was used to. If I still lived in PA (with hills and curves one doen't find in KS), I'd probably want a bit more control over gear selection but then I would have insisted on the manual.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d M-Sport, Carbon Black, Almost all options [img]http://picasaweb.google.com/rodako/T2/photo#5076044138312609266 [/img]

I have a 535d. i drive always in D. But when I want to overtake or i need some quick extra power to accelerate fast, then I simple click momentarily to DS so that T2 (the name of my car) kicks down a gear.

After the manoevere I click back to D.

Of course I could simply have floored the gas pedal to beyond the CLICK and it would have had a similar effect. But using DS is simpler and consumes less fuel and fuss than flooring the pedal.

I also enjoy overtaking with only the First small turbo. It makes a nice sound. I use the bigger turbo only for killing bigger V8's

Quick Reply: steptronic question...dynamic shifting