E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Steptronic and Manual Mode: Learning??

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 07:41 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='247293' date='Feb 28 2006, 11:25 AM
Daft question - but if the step doesn't give you control and changes up or down as it sees fit anyway - then what is it FOR ?
Not daft, but I think that the anwser is that one still can exert some useful control. For example, let's say that I may or may not want to accelerate rapidly. So, I start in M1 and hold the lever forward to hold M1 for at least a while. Then, if I decide to accelerate rapidly, I still am in M1. Also, sometimes I will start off somewhat rapidly, shift manually well before Step would shift for me, and continue this process through the gears. This method of shifting can be more effective, from the point of view of brisk driving, than if I let the Step shift for me automatically in either DS or D. And, there are other half-decent uses of manual shifting on the Step--e.g., downshifting when I want provided the Step "thinks I know what I am doing."
Old 02-28-2006, 07:55 AM
Senior Members

I can see I need to continue to experiment.

One thing that puts me off using the 'manual' mode is that when I shift with the accelerator down, the car makes a noise like when you rev in neutral in a manual car.

This just feels wrong and I tend to ease off and put it back into D

Old 02-28-2006, 08:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='247308' date='Feb 28 2006, 11:55 AM
I can see I need to continue to experiment.

One thing that puts me off using the 'manual' mode is that when I shift with the accelerator down, the car makes a noise like when you rev in neutral in a manual car.

This just feels wrong and I tend to ease off and put it back into D

I don't recall the neutral-like rev in mine. I'll check it out more throughly the next time I'm in the car.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:09 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JayJay' post='205624' date='Dec 1 2005, 06:41 AM
'go on you know you want too'.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='247279' date='Feb 28 2006, 11:04 AM
In manual mode, not only does my car not allow faulty gear changes (ie where it would be outside the rev range) is also changes up or down for me, without input.

For instance at say 35mph I will put it in m4 an it will change down to m3 - even though it runs perfectly well in m4.

I haven't used the steptronic all that much because this action sort of makes it - an automatic !

I've read the transmission pdf on the forum, but it only relates to the current engines. I have an M57 engine and (it appears) a different transmission as well.

Does anyone know if it works the same way?
That PDF document was written before some of the new engines were out but it still applies to all Steptronic Trannies irrespective of engine type. It will just adapt somewhat differently to the unique habits of the driver and engine capabilities. That is why we can only speak in general terms and not be precise on when a tranny shifts and under what conditions. The only one constant is REDLINE what ever RPM that might be for a specific engine.

I also assume your description of the tranny shifting for you up or down limits the lowest downshift to M3 automatically. If not, please indicate how far down it does shift when in manual mode. If lower than M3 that could be an indication of the adaptability to a specific engine or... maybe a different CIP version.

I still recommend whenever anyone describes how something works (or doesn't) in their specific vehicle they include the PROGMAN (CIP) version either in the text or in their signature (mine in Sig - CIP 16.1).

FOr reference: here are my nominal shift points. Upshifts can vary tremendously based on throttle position. I have attempted to take as much of that out as possible by using as light a throttle as reasonably possible. Downshifts are as described. I have not included manual mode here yet. I will do that later.
My Tranny shifts as of CIP 16.1
Up shifts are feathered (light gas load)................Down shifts are foot off gas and brake until nearly stopped. When u step on brake (and stop) then it will shift into 1st in DS or D-Sport.
Up............D............D - Spt.......DS.........................Down......... ...D............D - Spt......DS
1/2..........N/A...........2400.........2400..................... ...6/5............1050.........N/A..........N/A...........RPM
2/3..........1700.........2300.........2300......... ...............5/4............1000.........1500.........1500....... ..RPM

3/4..........1650.........2300.........2300......... ...............4/3............950...........1450.........1450...... ...RPM

4/5..........1600.........2300.........2300......... ...............3/2............800............800...........800..... ....RPM
5/6..........1600.........N/A...........N/A...........................2/1............N/A.............FS............FS...........RPM

You will should be aware that I detect no difference in DS and D Sport other than inconsistancy in throttle position from run to run in upshifting while down shifting is exactly the same. I might also add that the Tranny learning can come on quite quick as if I make a rapid acceleration from 0-100 on a nice clear road then the very next run up through the gears in any mode seems to be shifting at higher RPMs. And the opposite is true as well. If I have babied the car for a few runs up the gears the shift points do seem to drop some in each mode. I do not believe I could prove this in a precise way, but may give it a try someday in the future. I also noted considerable "lazyness" in the 3/2 downshift. That is, the RPMs seem to float while the tranny is trying to decide if it (or I) really want to down shift to 2nd gear. I suspect this is the region of tranny slam as if it is hesitant or undescided and then you goose the throttle I could see this being the area that might cause this issue as it trys to decided; stay in 2nd, drop to 1st - what do you want?