E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Steptronic is definately not manual

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 08:46 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Step IS an automatic, complete with torque converter. :thumbsdown: Manual mode is manual in name only. SMG is a manual with an automatic clutch (no torque converter). However, when driving manuals I don't ever look at the lever to see what gear I'm in. Even if I did look at it I couldn't tell what gear I was in with tight 6 speed H patterns (E12 4 speeds were a different story). But I always know what gear I'm in based on the speed of the car/engine and seat of the pants feel. I would imagine you'll get the same feeling once you get used to the auto. It took me a while on my E53 but I didn't find driving in manual mode very useful so I normally just kept it in DS.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by my530i' post='354856' date='Nov 11 2006, 10:38 AM
I totally agree. I'd rather drive my 4-spd slush box Toy Solara V6 3.0L than driving my BMW E60 V8 4.8L in D mode Toy auto transmission (4-speed) or GM auto transmission is much more responsive than BMW's.
Yikes, that's harsh. I'm no fan of the slush box even in the BMWs but the Toyota V6 3.3L slush box (newer version that's in the Solara 3.0L) in my wifes car is so bad I can't drive the thing anymore. There is too much hesitation on turns. Toyota even has a TSB out on them with a band-aid fix but they refuse to update the transmission software on her car. Too bad BMW doesn't have a real 7 people mover yet. I hope the new X5 might cut it even with it's slush box.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:27 AM
Members

I have driven the steptronic (and the SMG) for an extended time and as good as it is it will NEVER be as good as a manual regarding control and feel. Yes it is more work to drive but that is why those of us who chose manuals do so...to drive the car.

For those who prefer the steptronic for various reasons that is fine as to each his own. But if you really want the full control feeling you do have an option - trade it in for a 6 speed manual.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Steptronic is definitely not manual

Duh.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:26 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='354898' date='Nov 11 2006, 12:50 PM
Yikes, that's harsh. I'm no fan of the slush box even in the BMWs but the Toyota V6 3.3L slush box (newer version that's in the Solara 3.0L) in my wifes car is so bad I can't drive the thing anymore. There is too much hesitation on turns. Toyota even has a TSB out on them with a band-aid fix but they refuse to update the transmission software on her car. Too bad BMW doesn't have a real 7 people mover yet. I hope the new X5 might cut it even with it's slush box.
I agree with you that Toyota 5/6-spd slush box is not drivable in my taste.
What I said was 4-speed automatic one, not 5-spd or 6-spd. Toyota 5-spd and 6-spd slush box is not drivable in D. From 3rd to 2nd or 4th to 3rd :thumbsdown: It hesitates to downshift and all of a sudden it downshift and shooting the car It's a total piece of dung heap. That was why I sold my 5-spd slushbox RX330 after 3 months owned it.
I'm glad that BMW has steps to make up for dung-heap ZF automatic transmission. I don't know why BMW German engineer can except that kind of sluggish. I believe the decision maker has to be from Toyota or the like.
I always like 6-spd manual transmission, but it's not really practical here due to bad traffic jam. SMG should be good, but when I bought my car, it's the only close-to-my-perfect-spec car on the lot.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:37 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i 6speed

maybe i'm a purist or, as my father in law says, an idiot, but to me there is no replacement to a manual tranny.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by jobah' post='354948' date='Nov 11 2006, 04:37 PM
maybe i'm a purist or, as my father in law says, an idiot, but to me there is no replacement to a manual tranny.
I used to sound like you until I got my SMG...
Old 11-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

One of the biggest factors for me in buying the E60 was the option of a manual transmission.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:09 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jobah' post='354948' date='Nov 11 2006, 04:37 PM
But I'll also consider SMG a manual (with extra bells and whistles).
Old 11-11-2006, 09:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by Farbton' post='354914' date='Nov 11 2006, 01:27 PM
I have driven the steptronic (and the SMG) for an extended time and as good as it is it will NEVER be as good as a manual regarding control and feel. Yes it is more work to drive but that is why those of us who chose manuals do so...to drive the car.

For those who prefer the steptronic for various reasons that is fine as to each his own. But if you really want the full control feeling you do have an option - trade it in for a 6 speed manual.
"Control and feel." Exactly what I mean. In this category, jury is still out on SMG because it has an "auto" feature.

Anytime you are in "auto" be it "D" DS" or SMG "auto" mode, the car can be in 6th gear at 45 mph or 80+ mph. Sure, you know what gear your in, but at what speed when in the "auto mode?" Here' an example:

I'm accelerating calmly in a "step" in "D" or "DS" to 45 mph and climbing. Depending my pedal position, the tranny computer will shift at a preset RPM. Suddenly, at 3 or 9 o'clock, spirited driving demands. At this point, I have to look when I switch over to manual mode, what gear the car is in. It could be in 4th when I want 3rd instead. Or I could already be in 3rd and want to stay in 3rd, but if I didn't know "look" and downshift, I could be in 2nd and the car might bounce of the read line, which I don't want.

The point is that a tranny with "auto" mode removes your control and feel from that car. Additionally, the SMG up and down shifting contributes to the distraction when switch from auto to sequential. Perahps even in sequential, a "surprise" spirited temptaton may throw an SMG driving off because he won't "feel" the position of the shifter unlike the H pattern. The reaction time for touch (hand on shifter) is much faster than sight (look at speedo and rpm) and hearing (the 5 series is muffler is not very loud).

Now, with the manual H pattern shift, I know exactly what gear I'm in at ANY speed because I shift it.

The distraction of an "auto" even in SMG will cause seconds and in sudden spirited driving, that's not good. That's why BMW is still the only company that makes manual in luxury line. In professional racing, this is not an issue, but on the street (safety depends on the parties involved), SMG "auto" and steps are no match for traditional manual H pattern shifting.

I haven't driven an SMG, but theoretically, the up/down shifting and the "auto" is its handicap over a manual H pattern. Forget the step . . . it doesn't have a chance. Remember, I'm not talking about straight line acceleration here . . . just surprised spirited driving temptation on the road.

Quick Reply: Steptronic is definately not manual