E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Steptronic Auto

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 01:23 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

I have decided that the manual mode part of the E60 auto box is not worth having as I never use it. I only use it occasionally because its there but don't really need it at all. You're never quite in manual mode anyway as the box will change up and down without your input. I do use the DS mode a lot when on a country road blast or when I want to blow someone away at the lights but the majority of the time its in std auto mode. I find DS mode very controllable with just the accelerator - no need to take hand off wheel to change gear. Also BMW should offer a non manual mode box and charge less for it.

Just my opinion.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i, Jet Black, Black Dakota Leather, Poplar Wood, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Xenon Lights.

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Jul 20 2005, 04:23 PM
I have decided that the manual mode part of the E60 auto box is not worth having as I never use it. I only use it occasionally because its there but don't really need it at all. You're never quite in manual mode anyway as the box will change up and down without your input. I do use the DS mode a lot when on a country road blast or when I want to blow someone away at the lights but the majority of the time its in std auto mode. I find DS mode very controllable with just the accelerator - no need to take hand off wheel to change gear. Also BMW should offer a non manual mode box and charge less for it.?

Just my opinion.
[snapback]151290[/snapback]
Absolutely agree with you! There should be just AUTO transmission for lesser price. I don't see any use for manual without a clutch.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:37 PM
Senior Members

I agree, its a waste of time. I just use it on the motorways to put it in 6th gear for better economy.

When i was in Paris, i put it in 6th and the MPG dial under the rev counter was showing 50mpgwhen i was doing about 75mph. I thought it was an error so i reset the MPG computer in idrive and it was really showing 52MPG. I was doing 52mpg for about 10-15minutes.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by E60525d' date='Jul 20 2005, 04:37 PM
I agree, its a waste of time. I just use? it on the motorways to put it in 6th gear for better economy.

When i was in Paris, i put it in 6th and the MPG dial under the rev counter was showing 50mpgwhen i was doing about 75mph. I thought it was an error so i reset the MPG computer in idrive and it was really showing 52MPG. I was doing 52mpg for about 10-15minutes.
[snapback]151302[/snapback]
I used to use M6 mode on my 530d as it would change down with just a touch of the accelerator or cruise control. Still think BMW should put some sort of 6th gear lock on say above 70mph and not offer manual mode.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:50 PM
Senior Members

On the Porsche Cayenne tiptronic, the gears do not change automatically in manual mode. Thats much better.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

I like it. I find myself in manual mode more often now. Although an automatic, even one as smart as the Steptronic, can usually decide what gear is best for you, it cannot see what is ahead in the road. Curves, hills, slow traffic, wet pavement, a passing opportunity all are only things that the driver can sense and plan for. The Steptronic deals with them o.k., but I prefer to be in the right gear when I need it, not after the fact. The automatic shifiting in manual mode doesn't bother me at all. If I am approaching redline it shifts for me instead of limiting the throttle. I hated the surging/stumbling limiter in my e39. And if I don't feel like downshifting when I slow or stop, it puts me in a good position to take off when I'm ready. I wouldn't want it any other way. I almost forgot to mention that I like quickly shifting through 1st and 2nd, then really winding out that 3rd gear! There's no way I could do that in auto mode.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Originally Posted by E60525d' date='Jul 20 2005, 10:50 PM
On the Porsche Cayenne tiptronic, the gears do not change automatically in manual mode. Thats much better.
[snapback]151309[/snapback]

As far as I know, in manual mode, the gears will change down automatically but will not change up. Need to use the lever for that.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:44 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by gwf545' date='Jul 20 2005, 04:04 PM
I like it.? I find myself in manual mode more often now.? Although an automatic, even one as smart as the Steptronic, can usually decide what gear is best for you, it cannot see what is ahead in the road. Curves, hills, slow traffic, wet pavement, a passing opportunity all are only things that the driver can sense and plan for.? The Steptronic deals with them o.k., but I prefer to be in the right gear when I need it, not after the fact.? The automatic shifiting in manual mode doesn't bother me at all.? If I am approaching redline it shifts for me instead of limiting the throttle.? I hated the surging/stumbling limiter in my e39.? And if I don't feel like downshifting when I slow or stop, it puts me in a good position to take off when I'm ready.? I wouldn't want it any other way.? I almost forgot to mention that I like quickly shifting through 1st and 2nd, then really winding out that 3rd gear!? There's no way I could do that in auto mode.
[snapback]151313[/snapback]
I agree. Though, I suppose a standard automatic does let you select 2, 3, and sometimes 1, I like the easy up/down manual feature that lets me choose and stay in (most of the time) any gear. It's especially nice on twisty, hilly roads.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:01 PM
Members

I also like the steptronic, and really hope BMW keeps the manuel mode. I especially like to manuelly downshift to 3rd before fast turns so I can power through the second half. There is no way any automatic can can gear these high speed turn optimally for maximum control and speed.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:23 PM
Members

I just spent a couple of weeks in in Italy, France and Switzerland on vacation and rented an '06 320D with stick. Put close to 2,000 miles on it,with a lot of it on those narrow winding mountain roads, and though manual is fun that steady clutching was a drag. Really missed the steptronic manual mode which I use 75% of the time on my 545i sport home in the States. Love the control changing gears gives YOU without having to clutch constantly, especially in heavy traffic. Man, those roads are a challenge over there, 1 1/2 lanes wide and 2 cars, or better yet, a car and a bus have to fit through and get by each other. Wow. You European guys do some gutsy driving over there. Very impressive. Some really good drivers there.
Couple of additional thoughts;
Asked for and got Navigation on the rental. Used it constantly. Worth its weight in gold. On a motor trip over there be sure to get it. It's a must
The 3 also had I Drive and push button start. There is a rumor the '06 545i will have it. I don't see the need for it. What does it do for you except add another motion in starting the car. Don't want it, don't need it.
Did get 40 miles to a gallon on the trip with the diesel. Damn good with the price for Diesel fuel there. Car had lots of torque. Nice car, great trip. A lot better than last year, when my 545i got totaled out just 3 hours after my European delivery for those that recall my post last year.
Netjazz

Quick Reply: Steptronic Auto