E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Steering wheel vibrates upon startup...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 06:45 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any idea how to go about fixing this? Anyone else experience something similar? It doesn't do it all the time. Feels like it could have something to do with the steering wheel lowering and rising on entrance and exit.

-Erik
Old 05-17-2011, 02:49 PM
Members

Do you have the Lane Assist option? This option vibrates the steering wheel when activated and when you cross lines on highways. If yes, maybe it is defective and it triggers for nothing.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:02 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Ben535xi
Do you have the Lane Assist option? This option vibrates the steering wheel when activated and when you cross lines on highways. If yes, maybe it is defective and it triggers for nothing.
I don't think so. I have a 2004 530i without nav. It is really odd... I really don't want to take it in the dealer and get vasolined

-Erik
Old 05-18-2011, 10:13 AM
Members

My Ride: Sapphire Black 07 530i non-sport 7000k Angel Eyes 6000k HID Xenon adaptive turn Head lamps and Fogs, Clear LED Turn Signals front/back and side markers. Clear bright license plate lamp. Full interior lighting upgrade. Coding: daytime angel eyes, auto windows up, and digital speedometer. (Thanks to John at Motorcepts.com) OEM Tinted LCI Tail lights (Thanks to David at http://www.luxmotorwerks.com Oem Mtec rear bumper with diffuser and M5trunk finisher Debadged! The best paint work! (Thanks to Desimone BMW) 20x8.5 +18 20x10 +25 Concept One RS-8 Black Machined Chrome Lip V6.1 cables (Thanks to Bruce Miranda) Nitto Invo tires 285x30 R20 - 245x35 R20 Discounttire.com Vac Motorsports ecu chip upgrade, and fender roll http://vacmotorsports.com/ wish list: Rieger Front bumper Hamann side skirts Custom quad exhaust Rpi Ram air intake scoop M5 SMG shift knob KW Variant 3 suspension Brembo Big Brake kit LCI Heads Tints BMW M5

Originally Posted by burritoboy9984
I don't think so. I have a 2004 530i without nav. It is really odd... I really don't want to take it in the dealer and get vasolined

-Erik

Even if you take it to the dealer they will always tell you nothing is wrong and everything seems normal.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:52 PM
Members

i noticed a similar thing, and mine occurs when it lowers the steering wheel automatically upon entering the car and putting the key in the ignition. It vibrates and shakes a bit, and stops when it gets to position. i got around it by raising the steering wheel to it's highest point and leaving it there and driving with it like that, lowering it for comfort only when taking longer trips. but that is not a fix, just a work around.

seems like that cannot be right - if you can make it happen at the mechanics and he can see and hear what's happening, they should be able to fix. mine doesn't do it "every" time, so i cannot duplicate it on cue....but will keep trying.

B
Old 05-19-2011, 01:27 PM
Members

Originally Posted by zoelman
i noticed a similar thing, and mine occurs when it lowers the steering wheel automatically upon entering the car and putting the key in the ignition. It vibrates and shakes a bit, and stops when it gets to position. i got around it by raising the steering wheel to it's highest point and leaving it there and driving with it like that, lowering it for comfort only when taking longer trips. but that is not a fix, just a work around.

seems like that cannot be right - if you can make it happen at the mechanics and he can see and hear what's happening, they should be able to fix. mine doesn't do it "every" time, so i cannot duplicate it on cue....but will keep trying.

B
Sounds like the exact thing mine does...

-Erik