E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Steering Wheel squeak/whine

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 05:09 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 550isport' post='395295' date='Feb 25 2007, 03:05 AM
I think some other members who responded are talking about a different issue. My 07' 550's steering very occasionally will make a rubbing noise, like a whine as if the fluid was low. It has been this way from day one. Its very infrequent, but when it does occurr, I'm embarrased if anyone is in the car. I haven't had the dealer check it yet. I don't have the foggiest idea of what it might be.

Also, my ARS makes a touch of noise when in use (once you enter a corner). I presumed this is normal. Does everyone else with a sport pack 545/550 get this small noise as well?

Regards,
DRP
I have a similar problem in the steering of my '07 550i. I also hear the whine infrequently and it seems like when it occurs I am making a rather sharp turn like into a parallel parking spot. I thought (without any particular reason) that it might have something to do with my Active Steering. Do you have Active Steering on your 550i?

I have it on my list of things to have my dealership check but since nothing is particularly serious I am waiting until software v. 25.xx comes out.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:50 PM
Members

My Ride: 530d SE Touring, Silver, Black Dakota, Bluetooth, Panoramic Sunroof, Xenon, 18" 123 alloys, CD changer

Crazy, got my car back 10 days ago with the steering lubricated. Doesnt squeak anymore, but still doesn't feel quite right.

Anyway got a random call from BMW dealer today to say my new steering rack was in stock and would I like to book it in????

I knew nothing about it, but HEY HO, didnt tell them and am looking forward to getting my car back as it should be.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:46 PM
Members

I have a 2007 550i and I have exactly this same problem - just started a few weeks ago though. The car is almost 1 year old. PS fluid was slightly low and even after Dealer added fluid, the squeak/whine continues now and then when turning the wheel sharply at low speed, like in a parking lot. Embarrassing noise too, and loud. Is coming from the engine compartment, not from the column inside the car. If anyone gets a definitive diagnosis on this I'd be pleased to know what to do. I hate the thought of having a major component replacement this early-on.
Thanks.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:28 AM
Ian
Members

My Ride: 530D SE

I have just had my steering column replaced after first having a bottom end bearing lubricated and then a seal changed (both to no avail). If you think you have this creaking/groaning problem, the way to replicate it is to drive around an area with lots of 90 degree left/right turns e.g. housing estate/industrial estate. After about 10 minutes of driving around making lots of turns, the creaking should become pretty obvious.

Ian.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:19 AM
Members

For what it's worth - my car developed a bit of an intermittent squeak/whine in the steering earlier this year, most frequent when turning left at parking speeds. No knocking or grinding noises.

My local dealer had it for the day last week and diagnosed it as needing a new steering rack. Booked in for this week.

Sounds like it's a fault that's a bit more common than it ought to be. I hope the fix is permanent.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:27 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Ian' post='399549' date='Mar 7 2007, 07:28 AM
I have just had my steering column replaced after first having a bottom end bearing lubricated and then a seal changed (both to no avail). If you think you have this creaking/groaning problem, the way to replicate it is to drive around an area with lots of 90 degree left/right turns e.g. housing estate/industrial estate. After about 10 minutes of driving around making lots of turns, the creaking should become pretty obvious.

Ian.
Yes, I find it starts after the car has been driven for a mile or so (i.e. for me place of work to home) - every night without fail, as I pull into my street, the noise starts. It only occurs at parking speeds, which makes me suspicious of the extra assistance offered by Servotronic, but it could just be that at parking speeds there is more movement involved and more effort required from the PAS. Once the car is warm, the noise is present all the time at parking speeds.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:54 AM
Members

I exactly have the same with my 525d form 06/2005
Very very strange and very irritating when you have more people in the car (then i don't have music on)
:'(
Old 03-07-2007, 07:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Gone: 2004 525i Jet Black, Built 03/04, Premium Package, Black Dakota Leather, Halogen to Euro Spec Bi-Xenons Retrofit, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Steptronic Breyton Spirit Reps 20x9F 20x10R - Nitto NT555 245/35/20F-275/30/20R, M5 Front Bumper, H&R Sport Springs, Chrome Grills, 20% Tint, Euro Reflectors, Debadged, Aux Input, CIP v19.x

I had my steering rack replaced due to this issue.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:50 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Who has the same nosise as in this video? My car has done this for most of it's life. It does seem to be related to temperature and maybe humidity. But, it is always present.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=attach...st&id=31787
Old 03-07-2007, 09:03 AM
Members

No, that's not what I have - mine is a whine/squeak

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel squeak/whine