E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Steering Wheel squeak/whine

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 03:31 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About 25% of the time (I can't pin it down to the engine being hot or cold, so am thinking it's not the "business" end), when I turn the steering wheel, I hear a whiny squeak. Not very loud, and the kind of noise you might expect two pieces of rubber-ish material to make if rubbing. I can't decide whether it's the plastics rubbing, or whether it's trouble ahead on the steering column/rack.

Anybody had similar experiences?
Old 02-04-2007, 03:40 AM
Members

Originally Posted by marklp' post='387350' date='Feb 4 2007, 07:31 AM
About 25% of the time (I can't pin it down to the engine being hot or cold, so am thinking it's not the "business" end), when I turn the steering wheel, I hear a whiny squeak. Not very loud, and the kind of noise you might expect to pieces of rubber-ish material to make if rubbing. I can't decide whether it's the plastics rubbing, or whether it's trouble ahead on the steering column/rack.

Had this with my E39 and only happened in winter. You have to change a plastic rubber on your steering wheel. Not much of a trouble.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:54 AM
Members

I had similar problem with my Dec2003 525I.
After 18 months the dealer ' lubricated' felt washer in steering mechanism. Was OK for a while.
About a year later it reoccured. I declined the offer of lubricating the washer again ( as where in the service manual does it say 'strip down the steering & lubricate it every year' !! ).
Ther replaced steering column & rack. Its been Ok since then. Hope it stays that way, as now out of warranty.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 530d SE Touring, Silver, Black Dakota, Bluetooth, Panoramic Sunroof, Xenon, 18" 123 alloys, CD changer

I have a 535d SE and it does EXACTLY the same thing. Also the steering 'clunks' very slightly when you first move it after starting up.
I am actually convinced that there is something amiss with the steering at a fundamental level. I cant pin down specific occasions when it does it either. Tried to be really scientific about it, generally though it is after the engine has been running and you turn off for 10 minutes (say visiting a shop) then on start-up it is MUCH worse.
Sometimes it isn't even there. But when it is, it sounds really annoying and like a cheap bit of kit.

I am taking my car back to the dealer tomorrow for them to look at it (for the second time), I will let you know if they find anything or send me home!

If they cant fix it I am selling it, which is really frustrating, since it is wonderful in every other way, but the 'Ultimate Driving Machine' should have great steering.

Keep you posted

Andy
Old 02-23-2007, 12:06 PM
Members

Andy - please do let me know what happens...

Am going to book it in with the dealer (might as well make use of my AUC warranty!), as the noise appears to be originating from the "business end" and transferring up the column to the wheel. The noise isn't there when turning the wheel with the engine switched off, so thinking power steering/servotronic.

I will check the PAS fluid level tomorrow, just in case it's low

(thinking about it, I once had a Rover 600 that dumped it's PAS fluid on my driveway overnight -- and that made the same noise )
Old 02-24-2007, 12:56 PM
Members

My Ride: -04 530i 6-Speed Manual, Solid Black, Sport Package

Originally Posted by AndyHaldane' post='394050' date='Feb 22 2007, 12:23 AM
I have a 535d SE and it does EXACTLY the same thing. Also the steering 'clunks' very slightly when you first move it after starting up.
I am actually convinced that there is something amiss with the steering at a fundamental level. I cant pin down specific occasions when it does it either. Tried to be really scientific about it, generally though it is after the engine has been running and you turn off for 10 minutes (say visiting a shop) then on start-up it is MUCH worse.
Sometimes it isn't even there. But when it is, it sounds really annoying and like a cheap bit of kit.

I am taking my car back to the dealer tomorrow for them to look at it (for the second time), I will let you know if they find anything or send me home!

If they cant fix it I am selling it, which is really frustrating, since it is wonderful in every other way, but the 'Ultimate Driving Machine' should have great steering.

Keep you posted

Andy
I got the same problem with my 530 -04, the steering is 'clunking' very slightly when I first move it after starting up.
Please let us know how your visit at the shop went.

/Fredrik
Old 02-24-2007, 11:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

Originally Posted by marklp' post='387350' date='Feb 4 2007, 07:31 AM
About 25% of the time (I can't pin it down to the engine being hot or cold, so am thinking it's not the "business" end), when I turn the steering wheel, I hear a whiny squeak. Not very loud, and the kind of noise you might expect two pieces of rubber-ish material to make if rubbing. I can't decide whether it's the plastics rubbing, or whether it's trouble ahead on the steering column/rack.

I think some other members who responded are talking about a different issue. My 07' 550's steering very occasionally will make a rubbing noise, like a whine as if the fluid was low. It has been this way from day one. Its very infrequent, but when it does occurr, I'm embarrased if anyone is in the car. I haven't had the dealer check it yet. I don't have the foggiest idea of what it might be.

Also, my ARS makes a touch of noise when in use (once you enter a corner). I presumed this is normal. Does everyone else with a sport pack 545/550 get this small noise as well?

Regards,
DRP
Old 02-25-2007, 01:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Slightly off topic:

I am told that if you get a small clunk when moving off slowly - say from a junction. There is a spline on the steering column that needs a bit of lubrication. Mine was done under warranty and it's not happened again.

550iSport, I find that if my ARS(e) makes a touch of noise when entering a corner, I am going FAR TOO FAST! ! ! ! !

Sorry, but I couldn't resist it
Old 02-25-2007, 01:52 AM
Members

I posted yesterday about stiff steering, my 530d 04 has also a grinding noise and a clunk when uou pull away. It went away for a couple of weeks when they changed the steering column. Also someone posted a reply to say that his two early e60s had stiff steering and the new one doesnt.
So i think the early e60s have a major problem with the steering. The question is have the dealers been told what it is?
Old 02-25-2007, 10:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 530d SE Touring, Silver, Black Dakota, Bluetooth, Panoramic Sunroof, Xenon, 18" 123 alloys, CD changer

Dealer had my 535d overnight and recogised the fault, since it was doing it when I dropped it off (thank goodness)

They have changed the oil in the steering column and it appears to be better. No squeaks although I have only driven the car 4 times over short distances. It DID clunk again on me today pulling out of a parking space but less than normal.

Lets see what happens over the next couple of weeks. The dealers service manager did tell me that the next stage would be to replace the steering rack, so it is clearly not the first one they have come across.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel squeak/whine