5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   Steering wheel off Center after alignment - non A/s (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/steering-wheel-off-center-after-alignment-non-s-75945/)

ukr 04-28-2009 06:02 AM

The steering wheel was off a little to the right and I was told it would be centered after alignment. So, for $300 I had them do the alignment on my '06 530 sport non active steering. Now my steering wheel is off to the left. The tech who did the alignment wanted to got for a test drive with me so he could see what I'm talking about... At first, he said he might be able to pull it back just a little, then, he is telling me I have wide tires (which are oem rims and re050 runflats with little wear) and the road imperfections will cause the steering wheel to be off. The alignment is as good as it gets he sass, that everything is perfectly lined up and this is what the computer machine showed him to do when doing an alignment. Anyone else I take for a test drive will quickly point out which way the steering wheel is off. You know how the dash behind the steering wheel is slightly slanted down to the left, well, my steering wheel when going straight is a tad bit more slanted to the left than the dash. I look at the BMW roundel cross on the steering wheel to see where the center is. I might take a pic and post it later. Is it just an impossible task to have the steering wheel centered?

leventor 04-28-2009 09:28 AM

He is BSing you.... Tell him to fix it if not talk to the service manager...

Originally Posted by ukr' post='861448' date='Apr 28 2009, 07:02 AM
The steering wheel was off a little to the right and I was told it would be centered after alignment. So, for $300 I had them do the alignment on my '06 530 sport non active steering. Now my steering wheel is off to the left. The tech who did the alignment wanted to got for a test drive with me so he could see what I'm talking about... At first, he said he might be able to pull it back just a little, then, he is telling me I have wide tires (which are oem rims and re050 runflats with little wear) and the road imperfections will cause the steering wheel to be off. The alignment is as good as it gets he sass, that everything is perfectly lined up and this is what the computer machine showed him to do when doing an alignment. Anyone else I take for a test drive will quickly point out which way the steering wheel is off. You know how the dash behind the steering wheel is slightly slanted down to the left, well, my steering wheel when going straight is a tad bit more slanted to the left than the dash. I look at the BMW roundel cross on the steering wheel to see where the center is. I might take a pic and post it later. Is it just an impossible task to have the steering wheel centered?

Andy@SonicMS 04-28-2009 09:56 AM

If the tech didn't level the steering wheel out before doing the alignment, this would be the result. Your toe would be in spec on the computer, but the steering wheel would be crooked.

ukr 04-28-2009 11:38 AM

Let me understand this correctly, steering wheel leveling has no bearing on actual alignment of the wheels like toe etc.? So then the tech is BS'ing me about the alignment machine telling him where the center is?

-Mike- 04-28-2009 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by leventor' post='861630' date='Apr 28 2009, 12:28 PM
He is BSing you.... Tell him to fix it if not talk to the service manager...

+1!!! You should be perfectly straight after an alignment, no questions asked. Especially with OEM wheels/tires combo!

paulmc 04-28-2009 11:52 AM

Wheel alignment has nothing to do with your steering wheel. The computer has no idea where your steering wheel is. The tech has moved one track rod end too much then compensated by moving the other putting you steering wheel off centre. They guy is a muppet. Get him to fix it, only a 10 min job for someone who knows what they are doing.

Phantom Mark 04-28-2009 12:25 PM

As Paul said, any half decent tech would straighten the steering wheel to centre first then adjust the steering arms to the correct length to adjust toe etc.....muppet x100

BMWBen 04-28-2009 12:26 PM

damn right - after a wheel alignment your steering should be dead straight. I believe there are markings on the steering column that the tech should line up to make sure the wheel is in the middle before he starts.

KAF 04-28-2009 01:18 PM

Had the same problem after mine was aligned.

Took it back, they fixed it in 20 mins.

As stated, he must have had the wheel off centre when he set the tracking up.

fred1976 06-22-2009 12:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have the same problem. The technicians spent a lot of time to try fixing it with alignment but they couldn't. They are still looking for a solution... I keep you posted.