E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

steering wheel noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 06:05 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i, steelgray, step, premium, cold package, xenons

I have a 2004 530i with step, premium package and cold weather package. Since almost day one I have noticed a rubbing or squeaking noise from the steering wheel when I turn the wheel. I only notice it at speeds below about 15mph -- above that it is drowned out by road and engine noise. The shop foreman at the dealership diagnosed a defective slip ring and replaced it. The noise was entirely gone for about 3-4 weeks, only to return. Since then he has replaced the slip ring three more times (I kid you not), and each time the noise disappears completely for a few weeks. He e-mailed BMW Technical for more information but got none.

Has anyone else had this problem and/or found a long-term cure?
Old 07-07-2005, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Henry' date='Jul 7 2005, 10:05 PM
I have a 2004 530i with step, premium package and cold weather package.? Since almost day one I have noticed a rubbing or squeaking noise from the steering wheel when I turn the wheel.? I only notice it at speeds below about 15mph -- above that it is drowned out by road and engine noise.? The shop foreman at the dealership diagnosed a defective slip ring and replaced it.? The noise was entirely gone for about 3-4 weeks, only to return.? Since then he has replaced the slip ring three more times (I kid you not), and each time the noise disappears completely for a few weeks.? He e-mailed BMW Technical for more information but got none.?

[snapback]146773[/snapback]
I haven't heard much about that problem. Did the tech open a PuMA case with BMW? I find it hard to believe that he's getting no help from them since it's clear that there is a problem...
Old 07-07-2005, 09:15 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Henry' date='Jul 7 2005, 07:05 PM
I have a 2004 530i with step, premium package and cold weather package.? Since almost day one I have noticed a rubbing or squeaking noise from the steering wheel when I turn the wheel.? I only notice it at speeds below about 15mph -- above that it is drowned out by road and engine noise.? The shop foreman at the dealership diagnosed a defective slip ring and replaced it.? The noise was entirely gone for about 3-4 weeks, only to return.? Since then he has replaced the slip ring three more times (I kid you not), and each time the noise disappears completely for a few weeks.? He e-mailed BMW Technical for more information but got none.?

I recently purchased a 05 545, steptronic, active steering and I've also been irritated by the exact same "squeaking" noise at low speeds since the first week. Now, also feel "notching" when turning the wheel more than a half revolution.
Interestingly, I also purchased from the in the Seattle area, the dealer said they couldn't reproduce it... I'm bringing it back soon, it's very disappointing. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

I've heard this very light grinding noise at low speed ( like in a car park ) when turning 1 full cycle. It's not consistent. Only when I turn the steering wheel at a certain speed and radius. I'm not really stressed about it, but I'll get the dealer to have a look at it when my car goes in.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530I Black/Black, Premium/Sport, Navigation 2005 545I Silver/Black, Premium/Sport, Logic 7, Navigation

I don't know if i have the same problem, the noise on my car came from the 2 silver trim that is on the steering wheel.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i, steelgray, step, premium, cold package, xenons

Originally Posted by matt5' date='Jul 7 2005, 10:15 PM
[quote name='Henry' date='Jul 7 2005, 07:05 PM']I have a 2004 530i with step, premium package and cold weather package.? Since almost day one I have noticed a rubbing or squeaking noise from the steering wheel when I turn the wheel.? I only notice it at speeds below about 15mph -- above that it is drowned out by road and engine noise.? The shop foreman at the dealership diagnosed a defective slip ring and replaced it.? The noise was entirely gone for about 3-4 weeks, only to return.? Since then he has replaced the slip ring three more times (I kid you not), and each time the noise disappears completely for a few weeks.? He e-mailed BMW Technical for more information but got none.?

I recently purchased a 05 545, steptronic, active steering and I've also been irritated by the exact same "squeaking" noise at low speeds since the first week. Now, also feel "notching" when turning the wheel more than a half revolution.
Interestingly, I also purchased from the in the Seattle area, the dealer said they couldn't reproduce it... I'm bringing it back soon, it's very disappointing. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this.
[snapback]146820[/snapback]
[/quote]
Let me know what you find out. I have been dealing with BMW Seattle -- the shop foreman is Trent Schutter.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:54 AM
Senior Members

Was at the dealer's 5 days ago and personally saw a snr techie changing the defective slip ring of a relatively new 520i.

I was told that there were a few of such abnomalies and he seemed to be able to do it with his eyes closed The new slip ring has a red catch (for alignment purpose) which he has to remove before putting back the steering.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:29 PM
Members

Question

Originally Posted by Henry' date='Jul 8 2005, 07:15 AM
[quote name='matt5' date='Jul 7 2005, 10:15 PM'][quote name='Henry' date='Jul 7 2005, 07:05 PM']I have a 2004 530i with step, premium package and cold weather package.? Since almost day one I have noticed a rubbing or squeaking noise from the steering wheel when I turn the wheel.? I only notice it at speeds below about 15mph -- above that it is drowned out by road and engine noise.? The shop foreman at the dealership diagnosed a defective slip ring and replaced it.? The noise was entirely gone for about 3-4 weeks, only to return.? Since then he has replaced the slip ring three more times (I kid you not), and each time the noise disappears completely for a few weeks.? He e-mailed BMW Technical for more information but got none.?

[snapback]146820[/snapback]
[/quote]
Let me know what you find out. I have been dealing with BMW Seattle -- the shop foreman is Trent Schutter.
[snapback]146944[/snapback]
[/quote]

Sent it back to the dealer (BMW Northwest) and this time the shop foreman verified the "sqeaking" noise from the steering wheel. Said the slip ring was broken with bits of plastic everywhere Replaced it, but they ignored the "notching" complaint. Of course, 2 days later, that problem is even more pronounced, and now have a "clicking" sound...all at slow speeds.
This is ridiculous. My first BMW, 60+K and back to the shop for the 3rd time in 2mo of ownership.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:03 PM
Contributors

I have this same exact issue! any resolutions?
Old 01-11-2006, 07:18 AM
Members

Originally Posted by andy545' post='146826
Was at the dealer's 5 days ago and personally saw a snr techie changing the defective slip ring of a relatively new 520i.

I was told that there were a few of such abnomalies and he seemed to be able to do it with his eyes closed The new slip ring has a red catch (for alignment purpose) which he has to remove before putting back the steering.
Hey there,
Who is the senior technical guy you are referring to? I have "grinding" sound from my steering wheel but happens only occasionally and PML at KA is unable to provide any possible root cause. In fact, I wonder if it is due to running in of parts but I doubt. In the first place, what's a slip ring and what function does it do or serve? I have yet to know of someone at PML who is highly competent in identifying problems.

Quick Reply: steering wheel noise