E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Steering wheel memory issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 07:54 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have memory seats and steering wheel. When I switch the car off, the wheel rises up and away to make getting out easy. Fire the car up and the wheel comes back to where you left it.

Except it doesn't. I like the wheel extended as far out as possible, and the memory function seems to forget to extend it the last centimetre or so. Sounds tiny, but it makes the difference between comfortable and not for me.

I've done a search and can see others have had the same problem, but I don't see what the fix may have been. Can anyone help?

So far the dealer has tried:
resetting the memories;
updating the car firmware to latest version;
pretending there is no problem.

I'm fed up with them claiming there is no fault every time I pick the car up, only for me to show them again how to reproduce it. Any hints on what they need to do? (other than stop scratching their arses).
Old 08-09-2006, 08:31 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by MrTrilby' post='320578' date='Aug 9 2006, 10:54 AM
I have memory seats and steering wheel. When I switch the car off, the wheel rises up and away to make getting out easy. Fire the car up and the wheel comes back to where you left it.

Except it doesn't. I like the wheel extended as far out as possible, and the memory function seems to forget to extend it the last centimetre or so. Sounds tiny, but it makes the difference between comfortable and not for me.

I've done a search and can see others have had the same problem, but I don't see what the fix may have been. Can anyone help?

resetting the memories;

I'm fed up with them claiming there is no fault every time I pick the car up, only for me to show them again how to reproduce it. Any hints on what they need to do? (other than stop scratching their arses).
Go to a different dealer? Contact BMW? Maybe there is no fix for this issue?
Old 08-09-2006, 09:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by MrTrilby' post='320578' date='Aug 9 2006, 05:54 PM

resetting the memories;

I remember I had a similar issue (memory OK - but steering wheel would not extend all the way up) - software update solved it.
As suggested, try a different dealer.
Good luck.