E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Steering Wheel Memory

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 11:46 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

Originally Posted by pradden
If I lower the steering wheel all the way down to it's lowest point, and hit "M" , "1".... Then hit "1" to test it, it moves back up about an inch!!! What the heck is going on with it?
Does anyone else's car do this?
Old 05-10-2011, 07:34 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550 Black on Black with Sport Package

OK...not sure exactly what I did as I was getting quite frustrated with this not working properly.

I had the opposite situation to pradden as my steering wheel was resetting itself to the lowest level, as well as the 1 inch move.

I tried all the advise within this post with the car on/off/lock/unlock/etc. What I did different was that I moved the steering wheel to the full range from top to bottom.

TaDaaaaa...fixed.

Might just be a fluke but it worked.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-sport, retrofitted heated M-sport steering wheel with paddles, Sport-auto transmission

Originally Posted by Won550
Might just be a fluke but it worked.
No fluke - that's how you reset the wheel position. From time to time the car "loses track" of the steering wheel position, and this is the reset procedure. The key for those trying this is to move the wheel all the way up/down until it stops, release the control, then try to move the wheel further in the same direction -- if the wheel was out of position then it will continue to move further until its full stop. Do this all the way up and down and then the wheel will generally work properly (ie. move out of the way when you turn off the car, etc.)
Old 05-11-2011, 06:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

Originally Posted by Gilgorm
Regarding the dreaded mirror creep, I believe this forum provided an answer that may or may not be useful or applicable to you.
Using the i-drive, navigate to the "Last Seat Position" and DE-activate the feature. I don't know why but it worked for me and others as well. The only person that will be inconvenienced is the person with the other key since the car will not make any adjustments associated with the secondary key fob. Others have had the car reprogrammed and others have had the passenger mirror replaced (the main brain of the mirror functions).
THANK YOU! This DID fix that damn "mirror creep".

Originally Posted by Wpg550
No fluke - that's how you reset the wheel position. From time to time the car "loses track" of the steering wheel position, and this is the reset procedure. The key for those trying this is to move the wheel all the way up/down until it stops, release the control, then try to move the wheel further in the same direction -- if the wheel was out of position then it will continue to move further until its full stop. Do this all the way up and down and then the wheel will generally work properly (ie. move out of the way when you turn off the car, etc.)
Good to know, thank you. I'll give it a try this afternoon after work, hopefully this will do the trick!