E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Steering Wheel Memory

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 07:30 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550 Black on Black with Sport Package

Hi Everyone,

I followed the manual on how to set the steering wheel memory however it keeps on going back to the original/previous setting when I turn off the engine. When I turn the engine back on, the steering wheel does not go to the setting I just had it at.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-17-2011, 07:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

Are you using the seat memory? Thats the only way to set it. And you may want to clear any settings stored in the key and start over.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:26 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550 Black on Black with Sport Package

Does anyone know how to reset the memory in the key fob?
Old 04-19-2011, 06:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

From the users manual...

Key Memory
How the system functions
Doubtless you have often reflected on how
great it would be if you could configure
your vehicle's various adjustment settings
to meet your own personal requirements.
BMW has designed several freely selectable options into the vehicle during its
development. You can set these as desired
via the Control Center.
You can have up to four different basic settings adjusted for four different persons for
the specific keys. The only requirement is
that each person uses his or her own central key with remote control.
Additional keys are available at your BMW
center.
When your vehicle is unlocked with the
remote control, the vehicle recognizes the
individual user by means of a data
exchange with the key, and makes adjustments accordingly
Old 04-19-2011, 06:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

Originally Posted by Won550
Does anyone know how to reset the memory in the key fob?
you do it via the idrive
Old 04-20-2011, 10:18 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6 speed Manual

so how do you do that reset in the idrive?

my car resets the treble/bass,balance/fader (back to the middle settings) and programmable steering wheel buttons every time it goes into sleep mode, but the seat posn's and radio stations will remain. does it with both keys. i've tried disconnecting the battery overnight as well, still does it. posted the problem on this and other forums, nobody has ever heard of this, surely my car can't be the only one.

dealer does not know why it happens. they said i could pay for a software upgrade and that might fix it, but no guarantee.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

I'm actually experiencing the same thing with my 5. I have to lower the steering wheel every time I get in. Also the right side mirror adjusts slightly higher when I unlock the car with the fob, and I have to adjust that too...

So, I need to go into my iDrive settings and erase the settings stored in my key fob?

I don't suppose there is more info this in another thread?
Old 05-09-2011, 11:09 AM
Senior Members

I found this on Bimmerfest:

"The memory seat buttons are separate from the Key Memory. The Key Memory returns to the last settings from when that key was last used when the doors were locked and unlocked. So to use both systems together, start car and do this:

1. Driver 1 gets in and sets all settings as desired, presses M on seat then memory button 1.
2. Test the setting by pushing memory 1 to see if anyting moves. If nothing moves, you're fine.
3. Lock all the doors and unlock. This sets the Key Memory to that setting, which is now the same as memory button 1.
4. Driver 2 gets in and does the same, but for memory button 2.

The Key Memory can be set at remote unlock, so when Driver 1 presses the unlock button on their key, the position saved above is activated. Same thing happens when Driver 2 presses the unlock button on their key.

The other Key Memory setting is at door open.

In total, you can have more than 3 settings- 3 from the seat memory and one for each key you have.

thunderX"

Hopefully this will do the trick. I'll give it a try when I get home today.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

Originally Posted by pradden
Also the right side mirror adjusts slightly higher when I unlock the car with the fob, and I have to adjust that too...
Regarding the dreaded mirror creep, I believe this forum provided an answer that may or may not be useful or applicable to you.
Using the i-drive, navigate to the "Last Seat Position" and DE-activate the feature. I don't know why but it worked for me and others as well. The only person that will be inconvenienced is the person with the other key since the car will not make any adjustments associated with the secondary key fob. Others have had the car reprogrammed and others have had the passenger mirror replaced (the main brain of the mirror functions).
Old 05-10-2011, 03:39 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Gilgorm
Using the i-drive, navigate to the "Last Seat Position" and DE-activate the feature.
I tried the steps I listed above from Bimmerfest with no success. I only have the one keyfob, I think it is the main/primary one. I will definitely try your recommendation for deactivating the right mirror creep, it is so ANNOYING!!! At lease I know when it creeps (when I hit unlock with the keyfob). I used to not know when it would do it, and it was like it was messing with me .

Anyway, the other problem is the steering wheel memory. If I lower the steering wheel all the way down to it's lowest point, and hit "M" , "1".... Then hit "1" to test it, it moves back up about an inch!!! What the heck is going on with it?

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Memory