E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 02:24 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 528i

When I got gas today and turned off the car, the steering wheel adjusted to it's usual exit position. However, since then, the steering wheel has not adjusted for me like it should when I exit the car. I've stopped and restarted the car and let it sit a couple of times, but to no avail. Any thoughts? Suggestions?
Old 01-18-2010, 07:00 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was able to adjust in and out, but not up and down. Dealer ended up replacing the steering column under warranty.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

When that happens to me, I usually move the steering wheel all the way up, then I move it all the way down and then I move it to the correct position from there. It always works like a charm.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:14 PM
Members

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='1093349' date='Jan 19 2010, 07:56 AM
When that happens to me, I usually move the steering wheel all the way up, then I move it all the way down and then I move it to the correct position from there. It always works like a charm.
I tried that but it wouldn't budge so I took it in today.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:37 AM
Members

My Ride: | 2006 550i | Silver Gray Metallic | Sport Package | 6-speed MT | Logic7 | NAV | CWP | Tan Dakota Leather | Stock 124s | 35% tint |

Originally Posted by carolbob' post='1093123' date='Jan 18 2010, 06:24 PM
When I got gas today and turned off the car, the steering wheel adjusted to it's usual exit position. However, since then, the steering wheel has not adjusted for me like it should when I exit the car. I've stopped and restarted the car and let it sit a couple of times, but to no avail. Any thoughts? Suggestions?
same problem in my '06 550. mine actually goes all the way to the bottom when i shut off the car. pretty annoying. luckily i'm under warranty for another month. taking her in next week.

let us know what you hear from the dealer on this.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:14 AM
Members

Originally Posted by carolbob' post='1093123' date='Jan 18 2010, 03:24 PM
i have 06 525i w/ active steering that i purchased pre-owned. my steering whell moves up & down when the car is turned on & off, however i have never seen it retreat. it does not recede inwards or comes out towards the driver when car is turned on or off. IS that normal. please advice.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Members

Heard from the SA, they have to replace the steering wheel column. The wheel would go backwards and forwards but not up or down. Vick, I believe your steering wheel should be able to be fully adjusted, unlike what you are experiencing.

Disappointed as I've only had this car (CPO) since Nov and this is the 3rd time it's been in the shop. The 1st time I had to have the driver's side view mirror replaced along with the side view mirror switch on the door. The 2nd time was when my transmission was slipping and had to have a computer upgrade.

I hate to say I expect this kind of stuff with a bimmer, I would not expect these things in a 2-year-old Japanese car, though. This is my 12th car and 1st bimmer. Still, I love driving it and how it looks. I also feel safe because it is a solid car. It's just the little things that go wrong that suck.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:22 PM
Members

Originally Posted by carolbob' post='1096355' date='Jan 23 2010, 02:21 PM
Heard from the SA, they have to replace the steering wheel column. The wheel would go backwards and forwards but not up or down. Vick, I believe your steering wheel should be able to be fully adjusted, unlike what you are experiencing.

Disappointed as I've only had this car (CPO) since Nov and this is the 3rd time it's been in the shop. The 1st time I had to have the driver's side view mirror replaced along with the side view mirror switch on the door. The 2nd time was when my transmission was slipping and had to have a computer upgrade.

I hate to say I expect this kind of stuff with a bimmer, I would not expect these things in a 2-year-old Japanese car, though. This is my 12th car and 1st bimmer. Still, I love driving it and how it looks. I also feel safe because it is a solid car. It's just the little things that go wrong that suck.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

I adjusted mine to a point high enough and comfortable enough that it doesn't go up and down any more. I figured that this way there's less chance for the mechanism to break down. I know that it still works because when my wife takes the car, it moves up and down whenever she gets in and out of the car, since she's a lot shorter than me. Life is good.......
Old 01-23-2010, 01:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i Jet Black over Beige Dakota Leather/Premium pkg/Cold Weather pkg/Steptronic/Xenons/Folding rear seats w/ Ski bag Retired- 1973 2002 Inka Orange over Black/Dual Weber 40 DCOE Side Draft Carbs/Ansa Exhaust/VDO Gauges

Originally Posted by carolbob' post='1093123' date='Jan 18 2010, 06:24 PM
That has happened to me. I have always fixed it by resetting it- adjust the wheel all the way up and all the way down. The next time you turn the car off, the wheel raises normally on exit.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel