E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Steering stiff on the 545i

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 09:53 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since i picked up my car, I've noticed that the sterring is very stiff and not like the cars I test drove.
I spoke with the dealership and they gave me the usual answers..it's normal..bababbabahhh

How any of you guys experieced this with your 545i? I don't have the active steering nor the sport package....

Please advise,

Thanks
Samy
Old 08-30-2004, 10:02 AM
Contributors

With mine - 545 sport, with active steering, it's super light, not stiff at all. Not sure if active steering vs. not active steering would affect the stiffness. Sounds like a problem, especially if it's dramatically different from others you drove.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:10 AM
Members

I don't have active steering but I do have servotronic steering and it is noticeably lighter at slow speeds than E60s with standard power assistance.

Servotronic steering is a standard component of active steering.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545iA Titanium Silver/Gray, Poplar----Cold Weather Pkg, Comfort Seats, Logic 7 Audio, Heated Rear Seats

Standard steering is noticeably stiffer at low speeds compared to Active Steering. Might you have driven a demo with Active Steering, but not have that feature on your car?
Old 08-30-2004, 10:45 AM
Senior Members

Active steering is extremely light. If you have it, sounds like there's something wrong.
Old 08-31-2004, 04:17 AM
Senior Members

I have standard power steering and cannot say i find it overly stiff to turn. either take it back to your dealer and ask for a comparison test in another car with only standard power steering or get down the gym (only joking) one for the dealer me thinks.
Old 08-31-2004, 04:51 AM
Contributors

I have a 545 without AS and I find the steering a bit heavy but appropriate.

So there are 3 types of steering available???

Active - Variable ratio / variable assist.

Servotronic - Less power assist as speed increases. This would seem like the standard. Gosh - I had an 88 Honda with this kind of steering.

Standard - Full power all the time. I can't believe BMW would install such a system on any car.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Well over here servotronic is an option and I paid a few hundred euros for it. Maybe it is standard in the us.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by ULtraPLanet' date='Aug 31 2004, 02:51 PM
So there are 3 types of steering available???

Active - Variable ratio / variable assist.

Servotronic - Less power assist as speed increases.? This would seem like the standard.? Gosh - I had an 88 Honda with this kind of steering.

Standard - Full power all the time.? I can't believe BMW would install such a system on any car.
Well over here servotronic is an option and I paid a few hundred euros for it.

That is correct!
Old 08-31-2004, 12:56 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you should go to your or other dealers and testdrive other 545i w/o AS to see if it's different from yours. If you feel the different, they fcuk up. At dealer, most of complaints are normal and I don't know why. They earn money from warranty works, but deny to work on it.

Quick Reply: Steering stiff on the 545i