E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

steering problem - help ....

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 02:29 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 - 525Da with sports pack & some more stuff (color = carbon black with kastanjebraun leather)

Hi all,

About 3 weeks ago I picked up my E61 with sports pack. I was very thrilled to be honest.
But, I might have made one mistake ...

I've been reading on the forum that the runflat tires which come standard on this car are not that good
in our wheater conditions (a-lot-of-rain) .
I cross-checked this with my dealer and they confirmed that a lot of customers had experienced this and
changed their tires to Non RF's . So that's what I also decided to do.

On my previous car I had TOYO's and was very pleased with the results so I decided to go for TOYO's again.
This time the tire salesman (not BMW) suggested TOYO PROXES CT01.
Bmw suggested to change the tires I delivered to them by themselves. So that's what happened.

That Friday when I left the garage after my pick-up, I immediately felt something was wrong.
The car was (even at low speed) pulling right (steering wheel also was moving a bit to the right).
When not accelerating, one could feel that it's moving to the right, once acceleration starts, man it takes only 1-2 seconds to move 2 lanes to the right.

So the next week I went back to my dealer to explain this. We took a short test-drive and they
confirmed the problem. So I had to take it in.
They checked if the alignment was ok , this was perfect to them. Then they changed the wheels to the original RF's (from another e60 with sport pack present at that time).
They said (I wasn't able to test it myself) this fixed the problem.
So back to start.

I got in touch again with the tire salesman. He was a bit stunned and couldn't believe it was a tire problem. He changed the front wheels with his own wheels (also has a BMW) and the problem still existed on my car, his car (with my wheels) was going straight !

He suggested to have the car tested (again on alignment) by an 'objective' specialized company, so I did.
This company ran all sorts of test and also concluded this car was ok on the alignment part.

Back to the car salesman (man It feel's like writing a complete book here ).
He placed the TOYO PROXES T1R on an E60 (no sport package) a few days back and this was not giving any problem.
So he suggested he would order 2 T1R's and switch front tires with these, check if problem still exists and
if not he would also replace the 2 rear tires.

I having a bit of a doubt that this will solve the problem ...

After all I just expect the very best of my new car

anyone else has had this experience, any suggestions ?
Old 07-05-2006, 10:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

sorry to hear about your problem. seems like you are going to have a long way to find out what is the cause of the problem, i hope its just the tyres and not the car, or rims...in all cases...the link bellow will help you understand tyres better.. can you please go to half way down the page and read the section named "Coloured dots and stripes - whats that all about?" i think this may help you a bit...hope you get your problem fix...
http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbi...yre_bible.html
Old 07-06-2006, 03:54 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 - 525Da with sports pack & some more stuff (color = carbon black with kastanjebraun leather)

Thx, it's an interesting site, but no colored stripes on my tires ...
Old 07-06-2006, 08:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW 316ti, 2004 BMW 530d, 2006 BMW 530xd, 2013 BMW 320d touring, 2014 BMW 520d touring, 2016 BMW X5, 2020 BMW 320da touring, 2020 BMW 540i
Model Year: 1974
Engine: Flat six

I changed tires twice, last time to Bridgestone Potenza RE-050A NON RFT and i had no problem with that.

Something is wrong with that tires in your car...
Old 07-07-2006, 02:35 PM
Members

those who changed to Non RF's, what is the best tire to take ?
Old 07-28-2006, 12:39 PM
Members

Just to update you all,

today TOYO PROXES CT01 tires where replaced with TOYO PROXES T1R and they don't have this problem.

Let's enjoy the beauty now ...