E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Steering Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 08:08 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys/gals, need your help here to diagnose my steering problem. Everytime I make a wide turn my engine makes a weird whining noise and the steering wheel starts to vibrate. If I take the turns at a very slow speed I will not have the problem, but at normal speeds it will occur.

Now let me specify the wide turns. Typically they are right handers. I am not referring to simply making a right turn from one street to another, but rather a freeway off ramp or off ramp that has wide turns that suddenly tightens (does that make sense?).

If I turn the car off for about 5 minutes, it'll go away after start up. Some have said it can be the power steering and maybe the fluid is low (idrive does not mention anything) I am hoping it is just that simple, but I have a feeling it is not. Anybody have any ideas?
Old 10-05-2010, 08:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

maybe your front wheel bearings are worn. does the whine change with vehicle speed, or engine speed?
Old 10-05-2010, 08:55 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Orient blue '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, 6Speed MT, Xenon, Navi, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by BulldogE60
Hey guys/gals, need your help here to diagnose my steering problem. Everytime I make a wide turn my engine makes a weird whining noise and the steering wheel starts to vibrate. If I take the turns at a very slow speed I will not have the problem, but at normal speeds it will occur.

Now let me specify the wide turns. Typically they are right handers. I am not referring to simply making a right turn from one street to another, but rather a freeway off ramp or off ramp that has wide turns that suddenly tightens (does that make sense?).

If I turn the car off for about 5 minutes, it'll go away after start up. Some have said it can be the power steering and maybe the fluid is low (idrive does not mention anything) I am hoping it is just that simple, but I have a feeling it is not. Anybody have any ideas?
But did you check the level of the power steering fluid? What color is it? Do you have active steering and\or dynamic drive?

How many miles on the car?
Old 10-06-2010, 05:51 AM
Contributors

Turbo: Yes it does change with rpm/engine speed, I have a manual so as I get out of first gear it gets louder then quiets down. If this is the case, is it real expensive to change?

Dawid: I have not checked the power steering fluid. How do I check it? Active steering/Dynamic drive if that is in the sport package, I do not have it. Car currently has 50,400 miles.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Orient blue '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, 6Speed MT, Xenon, Navi, Blue2th, PDC,

Turbo: Yes it does change with rpm/engine speed, I have a manual so as I get out of first gear it gets louder then quiets down. If this is the case, is it real expensive to change?

Dawid: I have not checked the power steering fluid. How do I check it? Active steering/Dynamic drive if that is in the sport package, I do not have it. Car currently has 50,400 miles.
To check the fluid ? open the reservoir (see the pix) and check the level and condition of the fluid (color).

I would also recomend this manual. Very helpful in troubleshooting.

Amazon Amazon
Attached Thumbnails Steering Problem-530i.jpg  
Old 10-06-2010, 05:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

if the noise is directly related to engine rpm, then it sounds like a power steering pump, but you say it makes no noise when turning slow?? how about if you are parked or rolling along slowly and try turning the steering wheel real fast, does it make noise then? try again with elevated rpms.

does your car have active roll system?
Old 10-06-2010, 07:57 PM
Contributors

Thanks Dawid.

So I just realize it happens at slow speed as well. I leaving a parking structure parked on the 4th floor and after turning from 4th to 3rd floor I got the annoying sound again. If it is the steering pump, is this covered under warranty? I'm still under CPO. Also, I do not have Active roll.