E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Steering feedback on Sports package. Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 10:37 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I notice that there is a lot of 'road feedback' in the steering wheel on my 530 w/ sport package. I guess you could call it vibration in the steering wheel. You can slightly feel it - at idle, at speed. I got into a friends '01 Lexus GS300 and it didn't feel at all like mine does. It's steering was feather smooth, w/ 73K on it. My sister's '01 525 premium (without sports package) steering felt the same as my friend's '01 Lexus.

Is this a sport package thing where it's designed this way so you can 'feel' the road more?

Just wondering if anyone else notices this who has the sports package.

Thanks.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:48 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Road feedback is a good thing from a driving experience perspective, and BMW is one of the manufacturers that are know for their steering (and suspension) feel. Other manufacturers try to make their cars feel as smooth and "comfortable" as possible, and this is accomplished by insulating the car from the inherent vibrations in the car, which also insulates you from the feel of the car.

Among other things, the BMW sport package has larger wheels (and therefore lower profile tires) and a modified suspension, which contribute to better feedback.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by acribb' date='May 22 2005, 10:37 AM
I guess you could call it vibration in the steering wheel.? You can slightly feel it - at idle, at speed.
[snapback]131907[/snapback]
Yes the sports package has more road feel and sometimes will tramline with the grooves in the road and if the road surface is rough enough you can feel the roughness through the steering wheel a little, but then at that point you can hear the road roaring and you'l know the road is rough.

If you're saying theres vibration felt through the steering wheel at idle and at speed with a Smooth surface then I dont think thats correct. Going straight on a smooth surface and at idle it should feel just like your sisters non-sport model BMW.

Or could it be your tires are over inflated ? giving you feeling on every pebble you run over?