E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Steering clunk

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 04:41 PM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320
Default Steering clunk

Guys, my turn to ask for help...

On my '06 530i (with close to 140K miles), while the engine is off and the car is parked, when I insert the key in ignition and try to turn the steering either direction, I hear a clunk. I raised front wheels (one at a time) and tried to move the wheel side to side, there is absolutely no 'play' in the wheel. I don't see anything wrong with the control arm bushings (replaced few months ago), ball joints, or tie-rod-ends. I don't see anything wrong 'visibly' on the steering link either. Is that noise coming from the rack? inner-tie-rods? Appreciate your feedback...

I took some videos and uploaded, please take a look...

Control arm bushings have been replaced about 6 months ago, and I have replaced engine mounts few months. Other than that, all other suspension components are original.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:29 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

Really sound like its coming from somewhere along the steering rack. It doesn't sound like its coming from the wheels or control arms. Take off the covers from inside and observe.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I was thinking more from the spline shaft area but that sounds so scary I was almost afraid to comment on.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:04 PM
pcy
Senior Members

Gee_115 and Tony, thanks for your feedback.
I don't see any 'play' in the steering link/column or any of the components that are attached to the wheels, including the tie-rod-ends. I haven't looked under the steering wheel. We had a snow storm today, I will take a look further tomorrow. Is it possible the noise and the 'play' are inside the rack? I've never dealt with rack-related issues on any of the cars I owned.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

It's hard to say. I'll ask someone I know with some good experience with these items on Friday for you. I did have a bearing replaced on mine two years ago. Ok, it didn't sound like yours though. I was only getting a slight clunking sound when I turned into my driveway. This bearing was some where on the shaft. I'm thinking it was under the dash but I can't remember exactly.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:50 PM
pcy
Senior Members

Tony, thanks. Please let me know what your friend says. While recording those videos, I was rocking the steering back and forth while the engine is off. With the engine off (PS pump not running) and the weight of the car is holding the wheels, when I try to turn the steering, I hear one clunk; if I reverse the steering direction, I hear another clunk.

I don't hear/feel the noise/clunk while driving possibly because the PS pump would be running and the engine/road noise probably masks the noise.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:15 PM
Senior Members

When I had my noise the dealer returned the car saying could not duplicate. When I reviewed with the SA I was in the car with the eng off and rock steering wheel back and forth. Inside the car it sounded like a clunking noise but it was kinda hard to hear it. Mine sounded more behind the steering wheel area from inside the car. I didn't get under the car because I had my white suit on with white pin strips on. The SA agreed and took car back then had the bearing replaced. After the repair I no longer had the clunking sound enter my drive way. I think there are two bearings in there.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:43 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Do worn front wheel bearings cause this kind of klunk/noise?
Old 02-07-2014, 08:34 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, wheel bearings won't clunk.

One thing to check is if your strut braces (black support rods that run from the strut tower to a point just under the windshield) are secure. Unfortunately you will have to remove the plastic cover (PITA) at the base of the windshield to check to center mounted fasteners, but this is a common cause of clunking as the act of turning the tire distorts the strut tower in the body and pushes on the brace, causing the brace to move under the fastener.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:13 AM
Senior Members

PCY, I spoke with a colleauge he watched the videos. Unfortunelty its just too hard to tell. First thoughts were the steering rack but without pin pointing where the sound is coming from it was not possible to really say. He suggested that if you can't tell perhaps you can isolate the areas by disconnecting one side etc...

Quick Reply: Steering clunk