E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

steering calibration?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 09:29 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: white 05 530. ltd. ed. 03 yamaha R6

I went to a indie shop and they said i needed to have my steering wheel recalibrated. Is there such a thing and if so their isint much mention in the forums. Is this guy trying to get me? anybody got it done and if so how much did it cost you? thanks all....btw its to fix my active steering malfunction.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Titanium Silver BMW 530iA, Sport & Premium Package, Active Steering, Anti-Roll-Suspension, Adaptive Headlight, Navigation, OEM M-Tech Kit, Authentic RD Trunk Spoiler, VIP Modular Wheels: 245/35/20; 275/30/20, OEM M Trunk Finisher.

I had my battery die on me several times. The last time when it happened, it triggered an Active Steering Malfunction light to come on. I drove for awhile, hoping that that light would go off. As a result, it never went off and my steering wheel went crooked. I took my car to Long Beach BMW Repair Shop, they had to charge my battery fully over night, did a diagnostic test and recalibrated my steering wheel for $282. In summary, if your steering wheel is crooked due to an active steering wheel malfuction, you might have to recalibrate it if you can not reinitialize it.

Reintialization Process:
1. Turn on the engine
2.. Keep the car in park and turn the steering wheel all the way to the left.
3. Once the steering wheel is turned all the way to the left, turn it all the way back to the right.
4. After it is is turn all the way to the right, turn it back and have the wheels facing straight forward.
5. Turn off the engine, take out the key and wait for amout 5 minutes before you put the key in the ignition to start the car.

The procedures is in your owner's manual.

Good luck,

Daniel
Originally Posted by getnlazyr
I went to a indie shop and they said i needed to have my steering wheel recalibrated. Is there such a thing and if so their isint much mention in the forums. Is this guy trying to get me? anybody got it done and if so how much did it cost you? thanks all....btw its to fix my active steering malfunction.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:51 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

It will calibrate itself after a drive and a few hard u-turns in each direction.
Or you can do the above...I have done both. Also I haven't left key out of the ignition for more than 10 seconds.
Or you can buy the software to do it yourself....better route because you'll be able to do anything.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:29 AM
Members

if you have the access to SSS progman, you could calibrate it by going to the special functions section> steering wheel calibration..... i calibrated mine, because my steering whee was out big time. now its straight like my chinos, but u definitely need a steady hand to keep the steering wheel straight
Old 02-28-2011, 12:26 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by d4rkchocolate
if you have the access to SSS progman, you could calibrate it by going to the special functions section> steering wheel calibration..... i calibrated mine, because my steering whee was out big time. now its straight like my chinos, but u definitely need a steady hand to keep the steering wheel straight
Not everone has access to Software Service Station. If he did, he probably wouldn't be asking. You can also do this through DIS and INPA as well. My suggestions are to do this manually. Chances are you've already figured it out by simply driving the car and the light has went out already.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:52 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Not everone has access to Software Service Station. If he did, he probably wouldn't be asking. You can also do this through DIS and INPA as well. My suggestions are to do this manually. Chances are you've already figured it out by simply driving the car and the light has went out already.

Hence why I said, "if he had access" you'll be surprised to how many people on here that has the programs on their system, that doesn't know how to use it yet!! I was one of them.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:53 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

After I repaired the broken wire to the Electric Lock on the Active Steering system, I tried the conventional way of reinitializing the Active Steering system with no luck. I had to use INPA to reinitialize. The hardest part was translating German to English because for some reason the Active Steering part of INPA was in German...most everything else in English. Oh well.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Members

My Ride: white 05 530. ltd. ed. 03 yamaha R6

thanks everyone for their 2cents i actually took it to a shop in sgv and they reset everything and calibrated it for me. it's now straight. thanks again all and now i need to figure out why there's no power going to my head unit.