E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Steering adjustment stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 11:21 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i - Sport - 6spd - Orient Blue with Auburn/Anthracite

Hi All,

I had my car in for service yesterday (among other things, had to replace the "lifetime" battery") and after getting it back I noticed that the steering wheel position could no longer be adjusted using the little joystick on the side of the column.

I took it back in and, after a lengthy diagnosis, they told me that BMW had a service bulletin on this problem. Their plan was to reprogram the entire car in hopes that the appropriate control module would spring back to life. Failing that, they were going to have to replace the module. In the worst case, the cost was expected to be over $700 (I'm about 10,000 miles past the 50k mile warranty - sigh).

They insisted that replaceing the battery couldn't have cause the problem, but I can't see anything else that might have led to the problem...

Has anyone else experienced this problem and, if so, what did you do about it?

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2008, 12:30 PM
Members

My Ride: See signature

Did you happen to notice if your front seats would adjust or not? I had the same thing happen with the steering wheel, but in addition neither the driver's nor the passenger seat would adjust. Also, the rear, electric sun shade would not work. Miraculously, the next morning it had "healed itself". I did take it to the dealer a couple of weeks later for other work, mentioned this problem and they, of course, said they could not duplicate it nor were there any error codes thrown off. I did get a Progman update for the other issues. I have not had the problem since that one occurrence.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by jmdhuse' post='651632' date='Aug 21 2008, 12:21 PM
Hi All,

I had my car in for service yesterday (among other things, had to replace the "lifetime" battery") and after getting it back I noticed that the steering wheel position could no longer be adjusted using the little joystick on the side of the column.

I took it back in and, after a lengthy diagnosis, they told me that BMW had a service bulletin on this problem. Their plan was to reprogram the entire car in hopes that the appropriate control module would spring back to life. Failing that, they were going to have to replace the module. In the worst case, the cost was expected to be over $700 (I'm about 10,000 miles past the 50k mile warranty - sigh).

They insisted that replaceing the battery couldn't have cause the problem, but I can't see anything else that might have led to the problem...

Has anyone else experienced this problem and, if so, what did you do about it?

Thanks!
Of course replacing the battery had nothing to do with it Good luck with that - $700 for a new module - sheesh
Old 08-22-2008, 06:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i - Sport - 6spd - Orient Blue with Auburn/Anthracite

Originally Posted by Phil75070' post='651674' date='Aug 21 2008, 01:30 PM
Did you happen to notice if your front seats would adjust or not? I had the same thing happen with the steering wheel, but in addition neither the driver's nor the passenger seat would adjust. Also, the rear, electric sun shade would not work. Miraculously, the next morning it had "healed itself". I did take it to the dealer a couple of weeks later for other work, mentioned this problem and they, of course, said they could not duplicate it nor were there any error codes thrown off. I did get a Progman update for the other issues. I have not had the problem since that one occurrence.
The seat remembered both of it's settings, so it seems localized to the steering wheel module. Re-programming the car didn't fix it, and the module is back-ordered nationwide, so I guess I'll be driving with my arms in an uncomfortable position for a while...
Old 03-28-2012, 09:59 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by jmdhuse
The seat remembered both of it's settings, so it seems localized to the steering wheel module. Re-programming the car didn't fix it, and the module is back-ordered nationwide, so I guess I'll be driving with my arms in an uncomfortable position for a while...
I know this is very old but what was the outcome and what module did they order?