E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Steerig Wheel Lock

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 08:47 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

Over the past several months when I get in and put my key fob in the slot and try and start the car, I get the steering wheel lock message on the screen. It seems to be locking itself randomly as I am not setting it. It's happened 5-6 times so far. On the i-drive it says turn steering wheel to unlock it. When I try this I can't seem to be able to unlock it.....and after about 5 minutes of screwing with it by taking the key out and putting it back in....the steering wheel lock message is gone, and I can start the engine. Does this sound like a malfunction getting ready to happen? Like I said, I don't set it to lock....so i don't know how it's locking itself....unless I am locking it without knowing it. I can always tell when it is locked because when I stick the fob in it'll usually make a single "click" noise....when I get the lock message it'll click 3-4 times. Whats the proper way to unlock it? Anyone else experience this?

Thanks
Old 05-13-2010, 10:24 AM
Senior Members

wow 19 views and 0 replies.....thanks guys
Old 05-13-2010, 10:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 E60 523 executive 20"ASA / Bi-Xenon / Full M-tech / LED Angel Eyes / Matte Black Kidney's / LED Side Markers

Dont have this experience myself, but it seems to me if you have to fiddle 5 minutes to unlock the wheel, while you didn't lock it yourself, you already have a malfunction...Go see the dealer
Old 05-13-2010, 01:11 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

I have had it come up recently on the wagon a few times. Every time it happened, I had parked and turned off the car I had the steering wheel cranked to almost the lock. Next time I would start it EDL error.... Crank it like hell and push start.
Since I stopped doing this I have not gotten any more errors. I had TW scan it last week and nothing came up, just a precaution.

Also dose your 550 have Comfort access or the super duper steering thingy... could be a steering position sensor going bad...

Never happened on the 535 , but I had the car for like 16 months before it got dropped off at the dealer on cold november night...
Old 05-13-2010, 01:26 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bigbadbull
I have had it come up recently on the wagon a few times. Every time it happened, I had parked and turned off the car I had the steering wheel cranked to almost the lock. Next time I would start it EDL error.... Crank it like hell and push start.
Since I stopped doing this I have not gotten any more errors. I had TW scan it last week and nothing came up, just a precaution.

Also dose your 550 have Comfort access or the super duper steering thingy... could be a steering position sensor going bad...

Never happened on the 535 , but I had the car for like 16 months before it got dropped off at the dealer on cold november night...
No comfort access, but it does have the Active Steering. I always park with the steering wheel straight too. Never any errors either. How are you suppose to unlock the steering wheel? The manual doesn't say....and the i-drive just says to turn the wheel to unlock, but is it suppose to be done with the key in or out?

On a different note...are you going on the Fun Run this weekend?
Old 05-14-2010, 06:07 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Originally Posted by ktlocklear
No comfort access, but it does have the Active Steering. I always park with the steering wheel straight too. Never any errors either. How are you suppose to unlock the steering wheel? The manual doesn't say....and the i-drive just says to turn the wheel to unlock, but is it suppose to be done with the key in or out?

On a different note...are you going on the Fun Run this weekend?

Nope... To much yard/house word to do. The wife would flip out, I tried to get her to go but, she freaks out with how every one drives. Just put down 11 pallets of sod int he back yard too, so I'm fairly tired.

on the EDL issue
I basically stick my key in the column and power up the car, but not start it..
Crank the wheel Very hard in direction. Then start and that usually does the trick. I don't have active steering, so maybe a position sensor for that is going bad? I hope not though.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:45 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bigbadbull
Nope... To much yard/house word to do. The wife would flip out, I tried to get her to go but, she freaks out with how every one drives. Just put down 11 pallets of sod int he back yard too, so I'm fairly tired.

on the EDL issue
I basically stick my key in the column and power up the car, but not start it..
Crank the wheel Very hard in direction. Then start and that usually does the trick. I don't have active steering, so maybe a position sensor for that is going bad? I hope not though.
Damn..thats a lot of sod! My wife and I are going.....lack of anything else to do. After living in Napa Valley, I'm sure the wineries of AL will be a joke....but you never know. I'll try anything once.

Maybe I'm just not cranking the wheel hard enough to unlock it....i dunno. Still doesn't explain how it's getting locked in the first place. At least it's still under cpo so if it is a sensor, I should be covered
Old 05-14-2010, 07:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535i, Sports Package, Nav, Prem Sound

I think it's the SZL module. It went bad on my cpo car before I bought it (prior owner).
Old 05-14-2010, 07:07 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I am a big guy, so basically every time I get out of my car my leg will turn the wheel slightly and when I get back in the steering wheel is locked. It happens all the time, try turning a little more each way and then starting it. If that doesn;t help take it to get checked, there may be a sensor or something that is causing it. Good luck
Old 05-17-2010, 08:16 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pjinca
I am a big guy, so basically every time I get out of my car my leg will turn the wheel slightly and when I get back in the steering wheel is locked. It happens all the time, try turning a little more each way and then starting it. If that doesn;t help take it to get checked, there may be a sensor or something that is causing it. Good luck
I think it is something getting ready to go out....I was messing with it today......took the key out, moved the steering wheel, and it locked. Put the key back in, and it unlocked by itself..no steering wheel lock message on the i drive nor did I have to turn the wheel to unlock it.
I wonder if it's not recognizing the key randomly or something?