E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Stealerships!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

Sorry to hear about your mishap. I have been going to Crevier and had pretty decent services thus far.

Where did you take to register your battery for $20? Which indy shop is this if you could share with us. Thanks.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:25 PM
Members

My Ride: Coming soon...

Originally Posted by Diamond
Also with the newest bmw technology all indy shops simply cannot afford some of the needed equipment to handle things. You unfortunately need the dealer most times with these newer bmw's and being out of warranty could easily cost 6k per year if not more. yikes
It should be relatively easy to find an indy with current repair/diagnostic tools. It isn't as if BMW creates completely foreign technology with each model. I'll bet most of the new equipment necessary relates to diagnostic software updates. There's no way you should be paying 6k a year.

edit: unless you like to race!
Old 05-07-2011, 05:35 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by black550_m5sport
It's because of horror stories like this that I try to AVOID doing any modification that effects the electrical system/battery/computer on my car. (That covers about everything doesnt it?)

I'm not saying the OP did this or that is why he had problems. Sometimes regardless of what you do, luck is not on your side.

To me it seems that car companies spend millions of dollars on developing these cars, with teams of engineers who have the resources (and experience) and are paid to research, design, and test these rolling "systems" on a full time basis. The more mods I make to the "system" the more I risk upsetting the harmonic balance of all the parts which were designed to work together.

Even if you don't make mods you may still run into problems, so why tempt fate?

I've done mods before too. It's fun to make mods. Being in and out of the stealership $$$$$ chasing down problems because odd things are happening and things aren't working as designed is NOT fun.

I know I am in the minority here and that's OK. But to each his own!
Meh, I have done a lot of electrical mods to my car, no problem here and I am close to two years owning the car.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Meh, I have done a lot of electrical mods to my car, no problem here and I am close to two years owning the car.
wow 2 whole years.. an eternity
Old 05-09-2011, 12:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Lol, hey troll face, why don't you go back to your Powerbox thread. The crickets are missing you.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by leese8080
Sorry to hear about your mishap. I have been going to Crevier and had pretty decent services thus far.

Where did you take to register your battery for $20? Which indy shop is this if you could share with us. Thanks.
I got the battery reset at precision BMW in costa mesa. It only took about 5 mins. Also talked with their tech and he seemed to know his stuff.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:40 PM
Members

Originally Posted by black550_m5sport
It's because of horror stories like this that I try to AVOID doing any modification that effects the electrical system/battery/computer on my car. (That covers about everything doesnt it?)

I'm not saying the OP did this or that is why he had problems. Sometimes regardless of what you do, luck is not on your side.

To me it seems that car companies spend millions of dollars on developing these cars, with teams of engineers who have the resources (and experience) and are paid to research, design, and test these rolling "systems" on a full time basis. The more mods I make to the "system" the more I risk upsetting the harmonic balance of all the parts which were designed to work together.

Even if you don't make mods you may still run into problems, so why tempt fate?

I've done mods before too. It's fun to make mods. Being in and out of the stealership $$$$$ chasing down problems because odd things are happening and things aren't working as designed is NOT fun.

I know I am in the minority here and that's OK. But to each his own!
I totally agree with you but a stereo is the one place that i falter. I like good sound in a car... period. As an example, when i was in Australia for a couple months, i had a system put in the car that I drove for a bit and ended up leaving on the side of the road by the airport... it was worth it.

With the brakes, i learned my lesson. What a nightmare...

BMW probably like most companies, HATE it when you do mods... They just point the finger at the mod... The guy at crevier didn't even know what a voltage regulator was when i started asking them how they diagnosed the problem.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:57 PM
Members

Also... now that I think of it... my 2cents advice to potential used car buyers.. if you discover that a car you are considering buying has been "modded", be EXTREMELY careful before buying.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:55 PM
Members

I feel terrible for you...I had a 04 545 that was costing me a fortune at 86000 miles. I sold it for a new Ford Focus(I know what a downgrade) but I couldn't justify keeping this car and got a decent trade in for it. I had a bad feeling that the cost's of keeping this car was not worth it. I mean, I make a nice living, but I would like to retire some day, and I feel great driving this car, and seeing all these Euro cars driving around, and feeling like I finally made a smart decision....Good Luck