E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Stealership tales me to the toolshed..

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 06:28 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my 2006 525I in for a starter issue. It actually was towed in. Went to go home a few weeks ago and nothing, like I forgot to step on the pedal. They first diagnosed it as a bad key sensor ring, and then later said the starter was bad and it took the ring out. I also had them do a oil service, tire R&B, and a software upgrade to get the tranny 1st gear slam to stop.

Got the car back 1.5 weeks later ($1300 bill) and the tires felt out of balance, the tranny slam still occurred when coming to a stop (feels like someone is gently bumping you with their car), and I could smell a slight burning smell, like oil.

Had a ton of work to do so I thought I would try to drive it over Thanksgiving weekend to get the oil to burn off. The smell was strong when you first start the car.

I just dropped it back off again as it seemed to be getting worse. They called later today and said I have a broken head bolt. They said they see this sometimes. Can you believe this? I am on my 3rd 5-series and I have never heard of such a thing.

Also, they said I have the latest software and the cleared the memory of the adaptive tranny. I do have the BMW service bulletin which is exactly what I am experiencing:
[b]
Component Description:
13. ELECTRICAL SYSTEM: SOFTWARE
Bulletin Number: SI-B24-03-09
Bulletin Date: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 2,006 BMW 5 Series

Summary:
BMW: ONE OR A COMBINATION OF THE FOLLOWING SITUATIONS MAY EXIST: INTERMITTENT HARSH 4-3, 3-2 OR 2-1 DOWNSHIFT (JOLT) WHEN COMING TO A STOP WITH LIGHT BRAKE APPLICATION; JOLTS AND/OR JERKS FELT WHEN REACCELERATING AFTER COASTING; AND JUDDER ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10029426 )

I just finished filling out an emailed customer (dis-)satisfaction survey from corporate BMW and requested they contact me. I got this car used 4 months ago and it had 60k on it and is in great shape. I try to baby it to death and love to drive it.

To fix the head bolt, they said it normally would be about $600 with P&L. They didn't think it was fair that I just had a oil leak right when I got it back. They said I could just pay the labor for the mechanics wages, which is $30 x 4 hrs, or $120. I don't really think I should pay a thing. I now remember why I stayed away from the dealer for the last 5-series (8 years).
Old 12-06-2010, 08:27 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

W@W. That's BS..they broke that bolt I bet. lol. I too, have NEVER heard of this. $30 for mechanic's wages? Is that how much they're making when the dealer is charging us $120/hr labor.....and also same labor wage for some BS software upgrade too? Like they don't leave the car sit there and go do something else. Honestly I wouldn't pay them until the work is performed satisfactorily. If it's too much of a headache and you cave in, always remember to pay by visa/mastercard/amex and then think about it on your way home. Then come here and rant and we'll pump you up to a credit/debit card dispute and a letter to BMWNA and Stealership and you'll get it done + some.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:29 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They said it was a broken head gasket bolt? Did they mean a valve cover bolt? I've heard of those braking especially because the valve cover gasket bolts are made of aluminum. I wonder if they can "road force" balance your wheels tires instead since you still feel that they're not balanced.