E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Stealer woke my car up - jb3 story

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012 | 03:15 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

Okay, completely true story.

Took my car to VOB BMW (owned by someone else now) only because my dash was starting to look like a Christmas tree. I was planning on taking it in just for the battery cable recall issue and the check engine light was on due to the brake fluid needing to be flushed (If they actually did it or not, I have no idea). All I have done to increase power is put in the jb3. I was never impressed with it to be quite honest. I dont have DCI's so I set it to stage 5 and it felt slightly more powerful than stock. I later decided a few months ago to set it to stage 7 just to see (we have 93 octane here in Md. everywhere). With it stock and stage " 7 " I would launch the car from a stand still with traction control off, spin the tires for maybe 20 ft and it would hook up easily from there. I read so many posts how amazing it was and all the stories of how much faster the car was.... blah !
Well, after the 4 recalls were attended to, brake fluid flushed, and the DME reflashed, I hopped in and put it in drive and immediately noticed a difference. WTF is what I was wondering. Is it in sport mode??? I made a right turn onto the avenue (Rockville Pike) and gave it moderate gas.... boom! The freaking car felt like I floored it. I was totally confused to say the least. Anyway, onto the highway, and man, it really is faster than my old e46 M3. I am so much happier with it now, of course I want the DCI's or whatever else I can get to maximize the boost being turned up. Other than Meth, downpipes, and an exhaust, if anyone has any ideas or some used parts they want to sell me, let me know, I will buy right away!

Anyone have any idea what the Stealer may have done that let the jb kick in like this?

thanks!
Old 05-17-2012 | 04:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i

Installing JB in a car with issues won't do much for you; that probably explains your lack of impression with it. Sounds like they just got your machine bacj into a good state of tune, which allows the JB to leverage into tasty horses!
Old 05-18-2012 | 05:08 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535xi Purchased 2/2011Sapphire Black MetallicNatural Brown LeatherPremium, Sport & Cold Weather

Originally Posted by borderchris
Installing JB in a car with issues won't do much for you; that probably explains your lack of impression with it. Sounds like they just got your machine bacj into a good state of tune, which allows the JB to leverage into tasty horses!

+1 to that...I completely agree!
Old 05-18-2012 | 11:03 AM
Members

Isnt it weird though that I didnt have any check engine issues? The initial lag was significant and now it is cut in half at a minimum. Makes me wonder what they did to it software wise that made it work correctly?
Old 05-18-2012 | 06:39 PM
Members

There are many things that can lead to poor performance in your engine that won't code, although they may pre-code sometimes. Your ECM is capable of making tremendous adaptations to faulty signals, but in the end, much like a knock sensor with poor gas, your performance will suffer.
Old 05-19-2012 | 03:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Hey, check with member Sublime he had quite a few nice things that were slightly used. I know there was a set of down pipes, just haven't talked to him in a few weeks so don't know if he still has them. I'm thinking he mention that he posted it all in the classified section or was going to.
Old 05-19-2012 | 04:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 528
Model Year: 2009

Check engine lights do not come on because your brake fluid needs to be flushed.
Old 05-19-2012 | 06:05 AM
Members

I think that the majority of upright folks among us can figure that out. I suspect that during the code clear they also cleared his adaptations, which led to his situation. The issues may very well reappear.
Old 05-19-2012 | 06:48 AM
Members

Actually, the check engine light was set off due to a faulty dmtl pump (whatever that is).

Borderchris-
You think that I need to set the JB3 again? Even though I mentioned that it appears the car NOW has more power? Really? Tell me more please, very interested in what you think. Thanks!
Old 05-19-2012 | 06:58 AM
Members

Thanks Tony, will do that right now....

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Hey, check with member Sublime he had quite a few nice things that were slightly used. I know there was a set of down pipes, just haven't talked to him in a few weeks so don't know if he still has them. I'm thinking he mention that he posted it all in the classified section or was going to.

Quick Reply: Stealer woke my car up - jb3 story