E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Static in Standard Stereo **STILL**!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 06:12 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is now in for service the 3rd time (for me at least) for this intermittent static in the stereo (and other various noises and creaking and an oil change). It only happens when I first start the car and lasts for about 10 minutes to an hour and only usually when it is warmer outside, or when something is warm in the car...

I bought the car with 7900 miles on it and even the service history had shown the car in for the same issue, so that really makes 4 trips for this problem that I know of.

1st time - previous owner brought it in
2nd time - I brought it in. Told me it was TCU - we need to order the part, bring it in again
3rd time - I bring it back in, they replace the MASK unit instead. Static is still there
4th time - Car is in shop now. SA says they are going to do a software upgrade and go from there!!

What?? A software upgrade? I ***KNOW*** this is not going to fix this problem. I don't want to have to bring the car in again to address a problem that has been happening for the life of this car.

What **can** I do at this point?

Just keep bringing the car back in?

Does anyone know of a resolution who had a similar problem?

I've searched these boards and people have mentioned the problem too, I just don't see a posted resolution - if there even was one.

BTW, I saw the other post about 'static', and I think this is totally unrelated. It doesn't matter if it's raining outside or not, and again, this is only when the car FIRST starts, usually after the 2nd or 3rd start of the car for the day, then it goes away after a while. The static is on **all** sources, AM, FM, CD, it doesn't matter. You can switch from CD to FM to AM, it's an overpowering static noise emmanating from all the speakers. I seem to notice it on warmer days, since it has now started happening again pretty regularly now that the weather is warmer....

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:48 AM
Members

I don't recall anyone having the problem you describe...lots of us have some static but nothing like what you describe.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Steptronic, Premium, PDC, Logic7

They replaced my radio and installed a shielded AM antenna when I mentioned AM and occasional FM static. Also did a SW upgrade in the same service appointment. One of those worked.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:07 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by acribb' date='Apr 1 2005, 08:12 AM
BTW, I saw the other post about 'static', and I think this is totally unrelated.? It doesn't matter if it's raining outside or not, and again, this is only when the car FIRST starts, usually after the 2nd or 3rd start of the car for the day, then it goes away after a while.? The static is on **all** sources, AM, FM, CD, it doesn't matter.? You can switch from CD to FM to AM, it's an overpowering static noise emmanating from all the speakers.? I seem to notice it on warmer days, since it has now started happening again pretty regularly now that the weather is warmer....

Thanks for any help.
[snapback]109837[/snapback]

That was me. I thought it was a coincedence that the first couple of times it was raining, when I heard the static and volume changes on all sources, but it still did it later when it was not raining just recently so I think that theory is out. The dealer had the car for a couple of days, and went round and round with tests, and looks like they will be replacing the CCC in mine.

Question for you. When this is happening, can you press the volume button or rotate the knob Only one click back and forth, resulting in no sound, then the loud static?? This was the case with me, and then when it was over, I would have to raise the volume to get it back to normal. I will see if I can download the video sound I took of it, to see if it is similar.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by CRRobert' date='Apr 1 2005, 09:07 PM
[quote name='acribb' date='Apr 1 2005, 08:12 AM']
BTW, I saw the other post about 'static', and I think this is totally unrelated.? It doesn't matter if it's raining outside or not, and again, this is only when the car FIRST starts, usually after the 2nd or 3rd start of the car for the day, then it goes away after a while.? The static is on **all** sources, AM, FM, CD, it doesn't matter.? You can switch from CD to FM to AM, it's an overpowering static noise emmanating from all the speakers.? I seem to notice it on warmer days, since it has now started happening again pretty regularly now that the weather is warmer....

Thanks for any help.
[snapback]109837[/snapback]

That was me. I thought it was a coincedence that the first couple of times it was raining, when I heard the static and volume changes on all sources, but it still did it later when it was not raining just recently so I think that theory is out. The dealer had the car for a couple of days, and went round and round with tests, and looks like they will be replacing the CCC in mine.

Question for you. When this is happening, can you press the volume button or rotate the knob Only one click back and forth, resulting in no sound, then the loud static?? This was the case with me, and then when it was over, I would have to raise the volume to get it back to normal. I will see if I can download the video sound I took of it, to see if it is similar.
[snapback]110074[/snapback]
[/quote]

No. With my 'static', I start the car and then the 'static' starts to creep in, louder and louder until the full 'static' effect is reached. The volume on the stereo actually works, ie., it makes the static louder or softer. You can hear the source playing at the time, it is just overpowered by the 'static'. Real annoying, and the fact that it is intermittent is driving me crazy as well. It seems some earlier posters from about a year ago also had this problem. They never posted a resolution though....