E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

The state of NJ giveth and taketh away

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 01:52 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i Sport

Two weeks ago, I picked up a set of Miros from wi8123 who lives in NJ. A week ago I'm driving to Jose Tejas in Woodbridge for my nephew's birthday lunch. Not more than a few hundred feet from the entrance, I hit a concrete pothole doing about 10MPH that proceeds to bend the outside lip of my wheel. If any of you are planning to go there, there's a few potholes by the underpass that takes you to this place so watch yourselves.

Now, it turns out when I had the tires put on that this same wheel wasn't completely round, but it wasn't losing air and I was going to get the thing fixed eventually. Eventually came quicker than I thought thanks to the tire now slowly leaking air. The kicker is I could have had the wheel repaired right then and there in a few hours, but the guy tells me that where the bend is, they usually crack and would need to be welded, refinished and repainted and it takes a day.

I contacted Alloy Wheel Repair Service after seeing spediegunz post about it in one of his recent threads. They have a location over at Sovereign Mercedes off the Belt Parkway on Shore Parkway in Brooklyn.

I'm told to have the tire dismounted, repaired, re-painted, re-mounted and balanced is $125. I asked the guy Dan, "that's it??". He then tells me that a lot of people complain about that. I just laughed. Beats buying a new wheel for sure.

Anyway, I should have the wheel back tomorrow night. I'll update the thread with how the work is and a picture of the repaired wheel. I hope they can match the paint to the other 3

Attached Thumbnails The state of NJ giveth and taketh away-bent-wheel.jpg  
Old 06-11-2012, 02:00 PM
Senior Members

Attached Thumbnails The state of NJ giveth and taketh away-pothole.jpg  
Old 06-11-2012, 02:24 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Alpine White

Sorry to hear about your wheel. Makes me think twice about getting 20" wheels. I travel to Philly a lot, its worst in the city. Thats a great price for the repair. Wished I had someone in south Jersey that'll repair my road rashes for that price.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:19 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ponnu
It's actually a little more to the right in that picture. It's off the Northbound Route 9. I attached the picture with a black "X".

Check out that site, Storm. They may have an affiliate near you. If not, email them and see what they say.
Attached Thumbnails The state of NJ giveth and taketh away-image1.jpg  
Old 06-11-2012, 03:48 PM
Members

I feel your pain man, NJ roads are horrific. On a side note, Jose Tejas is the bomb.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 525xi

Originally Posted by 4U2NV
I feel your pain man, NJ roads are horrific. On a side note, Jose Tejas is the bomb.
Yes on both counts!!

Please post pics of how it looks like after the repair... My 19" Miro 111's has a similar bend from a freaking huge pothole courtesy of Newark, NJ.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:00 PM
Members

Definitely have a picture or two up here when I get it back, hopefully tomorrow.

And yes, Jose Tejas rocks, but I was so sick to my stomach that I didn't eat. lol
Old 06-12-2012, 07:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

i know exactly where ur talking about. i drove my 18 wheeler under that underpass to get back to rt 1 and was like holy shit!!! pathetic. rt 9 all together sucks in that area.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:19 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

The busier cities out in East Coast in general just have atrocious roads. When I go out there, I get a rental and I am pretty sure more often than not, the wheel(s) or tires are toast by the time I return them.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Senior Members

Best of luck with these guys im eagar to see the work since I made the suggestion LOL

Quick Reply: The state of NJ giveth and taketh away