E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Transm. Failsafe mode !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 01:57 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 E60 530i (M54) with 6HP19 auto transmission
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54
Exclamation Transm. Failsafe mode !!!!

Hey guys,

I have a series of action that occur until i do know from which point to fix it, can anyone assist me with the below narrated story:
My 2005 BMW E60 530i, (M54) 6HP19, been driving well, then two to three from now it started to misbehave on first to second
takeing off and second to first gear while stopping. Well in fact it it changes down to first gear 2-3 secs after the vehicle have already
come to full stop. It was been driven with that misbehaviour for around a week, then parked at home to avoid any further damages.

After another week from the time it has been parked I started the vehicle to attend the appointment booked at the mechanic, and
a message appeared on the iDrive screen (transmission fail safe drive moderately) and a a red gear symbol on the cluster. And at that
moment the car could not reverse immediately, I switch it off and on it on again, and it could now reverse at low speed, and it was
taking off in 3rd gear forward, and changed to the upper gears.

Reaching the mechanic, he scan the car, and I have added the snapshot of that. and he recon the fluid is low on the vehicle.
He then put the car on a ramp and started it and removed the drain plug of the transmission and confirmed that the vehicle had extremely low
fluids and also discovered that the oil pan/sump was having a crack on it, which allowed the fluid to leak out.

I purchased a new oil pan for the 6HP19 transmission, and LifeProtect6 fluids x 7liters as recommended "i guess - reference mechanic".
After he fitted the new pan and restore the fluid, he plug in the scanner, and NOW the vehicle transmission control Module is not reachable!!!!!!!!
We cannot get through it to clear the fault codes. At this point am so confused/drained/ disappointed and i dont know. Please help me.
Am stuck in Transm.FailSafe Mode.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:09 AM
New Members

My Ride: Low, Fatn sexy

I have repaired a few transmissions in my time with similar issues as you described
apart from not been able to communicate to the EGS (transmissiom module) a reflash with ista p may resolve your issues hear, unless the Medtronic unit is at fault
1. you mentioned you hanged fluid dis you change or remove tge plug that connects to your mecatronics to repkace the sleeve ?
2.the valve bodys play up on these
3.the suction pump block seal cracks this sucks your oil from the pan
4. There are 4 tube seals that seal tge valve body of these leak not sealing you will have shifting issues
5. If the shift solonoids ohm check ok theres a good chance the gauss filters are blocked on the end of the solonoids
6. Clutch packs and shims are burnt with hot spots if these have been starves of oil

i really vould go on and on about this but i hope you get it repaired
Old 11-16-2018, 04:37 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by MPWE60540I
I have repaired a few transmissions in my time with similar issues as you described
apart from not been able to communicate to the EGS (transmissiom module) a reflash with ista p may resolve your issues hear, unless the Medtronic unit is at fault
1. you mentioned you hanged fluid dis you change or remove tge plug that connects to your mecatronics to repkace the sleeve ?
2.the valve bodys play up on these
3.the suction pump block seal cracks this sucks your oil from the pan
4. There are 4 tube seals that seal tge valve body of these leak not sealing you will have shifting issues
5. If the shift solonoids ohm check ok theres a good chance the gauss filters are blocked on the end of the solonoids
6. Clutch packs and shims are burnt with hot spots if these have been starves of oil

i really vould go on and on about this but i hope you get it repaired
I highly appreciate your experienced input, to this issue, and it is likely that now, there is endless possibilities,
Should I even try to fix it, or look for a used working transmission?
Old 11-16-2018, 05:18 AM
New Members

If your handy with tools and like DIY you can tackle some of the work although it can be daunting if you dont do DIY.
A second hand transmisdion will bolt in in but but the EGS unit will need to be prodrammed to the DME.
the mekatronins is the crain to the whole process and the EGS transmisdion module dits inside the transmission. So extra cost ius associated with this a second hsnd trans. And well who knows how long it will last.
my recomendation would be to do the following
Remove the valvle body & mekatronics
OHM test the solonoids
depending what tran model have will depend how many solonoids
blue and green 5.1 ohms black 10 ohms there abouts.
does your mechanic use BMW ISTA D ? This will walk you through the procedure
The EGS & DME must talk to each other as ut uses throttle position & load to determine transmission shift patterns.
1. if it were my car i would first look into the communication issue
2. Drop the valve body remove and test solonoids
3. Check the 5 seals i talked about
4. Pull apart valvebody and put a zip kit through it. Excellent kit as they have mafe a kit that solves all the zf common issues that all zf transmission have.

i have judt done mine for the sake of doing it.

how many km or miles have you done on your current trans.?
getting hold of ista is what will be required
ISTA P required to code the egs to your dme.

Old 11-16-2018, 05:23 AM
New Members

My bet is you have a valve body and solonoid problem
Old 11-16-2018, 05:25 AM
New Members

https://www.sonnax.com/units/181-zf6hp19
Old 11-16-2018, 09:43 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by MPWE60540I
If your handy with tools and like DIY you can tackle some of the work although it can be daunting if you dont do DIY.
A second hand transmisdion will bolt in in but but the EGS unit will need to be prodrammed to the DME.
the mekatronins is the crain to the whole process and the EGS transmisdion module dits inside the transmission. So extra cost ius associated with this a second hsnd trans. And well who knows how long it will last.
my recomendation would be to do the following
Remove the valvle body & mekatronics
OHM test the solonoids
depending what tran model have will depend how many solonoids
blue and green 5.1 ohms black 10 ohms there abouts.
does your mechanic use BMW ISTA D ? This will walk you through the procedure
The EGS & DME must talk to each other as ut uses throttle position & load to determine transmission shift patterns.
1. if it were my car i would first look into the communication issue
2. Drop the valve body remove and test solonoids
3. Check the 5 seals i talked about
4. Pull apart valvebody and put a zip kit through it. Excellent kit as they have mafe a kit that solves all the zf common issues that all zf transmission have.

i have judt done mine for the sake of doing it.

how many km or miles have you done on your current trans.?
getting hold of ista is what will be required
ISTA P required to code the egs to your dme.
Thank you so much for the advise, it seems it is better to train your own dog, than getting another dog from someone else. I'll make your I follow the steps you are suggesting and move forward with it.

Thanks again