E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Start Stop Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 10:15 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520d

For those of us using Start Stop systems on E60 (I guess mainly EU 520d LCI onwards):
? Can you disconnect the system ?
? Were there any advices regarding stop/start during breaking in period
? Is the system reliable (swithcing on and off the engine could be problematic ?)

Any input would be appreciated...
Old 01-24-2009, 06:53 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by copello' post='776061' date='Jan 24 2009, 02:15 AM
For those of us using Start Stop systems on E60 (I guess mainly EU 520d LCI onwards):
? Can you disconnect the system ?
? Were there any advices regarding stop/start during breaking in period
? Is the system reliable (swithcing on and off the engine could be problematic ?)

Any input would be appreciated...
I believe there is a little button on the center console, an A with a ring around it, like the one that shows up on your dash when it goes in to stop/start mode, press the button and it should light up green and the car will stop using the auto stop/start.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by kadafi39' post='776182' date='Jan 24 2009, 05:53 PM
I believe there is a little button on the center console, an A with a ring around it, like the one that shows up on your dash when it goes in to stop/start mode, press the button and it should light up green and the car will stop using the auto stop/start.
No, he means that when stopping for red lights the car engine stops and then starts again...

The LCI 520d automatic doesn't have it.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '09 LCI 520dA Business. Alpine White; Heated Standard seats in Beige Fusion Artificial Leather and Light poplar wood trim, high-gloss; Sport Steering Wheel; Automatic A/C with Extended features; Hi-Fi loudspeaker system; Cup holders; Cruise control with brake function; Heated ext. mirrors - folding, auto dimming; Xenons with Adaptive headlights and High-beam Assistant; PDC; Sunblinds for side and rear windows; USB interface; Extended Interior Lights Package; Soft-close doors; Windscreen with green shade band; Elec Fr Seats + Driver Memory; Smokers Package; Floor mats, velour

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='776193' date='Jan 24 2009, 06:21 PM
No, he means that when stopping for red lights the car engine stops and then starts again...

But LCI 520d manual has. I would guess that copello is getting a manual because asking about it (and I believe the future car is displayed in this thread, looks like a manual to me).

And indeed there should be a button in the center console to disengage the Auto Start-Stop just like kadafi39 described. Additionally it is very intelligent one, it knows the temperature outside and also the temperature of the engine. I believe it even knows the A/C status and monitors if the windscreen starts to fog while standing engine stopped in the red lights.

My experience about Auto Start-Stop is from 1-series but I would imagine the system would be same in 5-series.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

So then Miikka, as you know this matter, please answer to copello's Q.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '09 LCI 520dA Business. Alpine White; Heated Standard seats in Beige Fusion Artificial Leather and Light poplar wood trim, high-gloss; Sport Steering Wheel; Automatic A/C with Extended features; Hi-Fi loudspeaker system; Cup holders; Cruise control with brake function; Heated ext. mirrors - folding, auto dimming; Xenons with Adaptive headlights and High-beam Assistant; PDC; Sunblinds for side and rear windows; USB interface; Extended Interior Lights Package; Soft-close doors; Windscreen with green shade band; Elec Fr Seats + Driver Memory; Smokers Package; Floor mats, velour

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='776312' date='Jan 24 2009, 09:35 PM
So then Miikka, as you know this matter, please answer to copello's Q.
Yeah, sorry about that one, I forgot to mention that I do not drive manual E60 but I will be driving automatic (only 3 days now till I have it) but I was trying to mention that I have some personal experience from 1-series. According to BMW, the technology is the same across all the models.

- Auto Start/Stop seems to be really well designed, I was personally very impressed about the engineering behind that one and I am not the only one. Same kind of comments I have heard from a colleague who recently chose BMW (3-series) and is now happy user for Auto Start/Stop. Of course most of the E60s are probably with automatics so there aren't that many with Auto Start/Stop
- I haven't personally driven a car with Auto Start/Stop from the beginning (the 1-series I drove quite much had already passed it's break-in period) but my colleague stated that there wasn't anything special about it; standard BMW rules for break-in period apply also with these type of cars
- It indeed can be disengaged if preferred (with a touch of a button) but I found it very nice feature actually and since it won't disturb during the time when you usually don't want it (winter, cold engine, etc.) then I found myself driving with that one enabled all the time. If the situation requires, you can wake up the engine very quickly by pressing the clutch, it is amazing how quickly the engine will wake up
- To my understanding (I didn't verify the technical implementation by myself), the design is such that the possibly constant shutdown and starting of the engine has been taken into account by changing the design in such way that things are strong enough to take it

I personally would not worry about it, it is a magnificent example showing BMW experience and their knowledge about engines. I cannot explain enough how impressed I was about it when I experienced it the first time, I was originally very skeptical about how well it will work (how it will disturb me and so on) and I must say that never before I have changed my mind so completely (regarding cars). I would use this technology if it would be available with automatic as well but in my case the desire for automatic is much greater than desire for Auto Start/Stop.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:53 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='776193' date='Jan 24 2009, 11:21 AM

That is what i was talking about aswel, the auto engine stop/start when at red lights and in traffic and the small button on the center console that looks like a capital A with a ring around it disengages it. I too thought copello had a manual as he was asking
Old 01-24-2009, 10:46 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d

Well thanks for this detailed answer !
Indeed my future LCI 520d will be manual, so with Auto Start Stop.
I believe the system has been enhanced to support the extra work for alternator and battery....
The last thing I will ask the dealer is if there is any recommandation during breaking in period (but from what you answered, I understand that the system is pretty much well designed);
Apparently, the effect on mileage is awesome in urban traffic....
Well, I will keep you posted as soon as I get my hands on it !