E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Start/Stop Button Trick

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 07:09 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Through another klutzy move I figured out that when shutting off the car you can push the Start/Stop button twice.

The first push turns off the engine ... which I obviously have been doing all along. The second push shuts down the radio. I've been clicking the key fob out to do this before.

I guess I should read the Owners' Manual afterall. But, I haven't been able to find out who else owns my car so I can't get us all together for a reading night.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Yup its kinda like Position 1 and 0 of the car... Pushing once to top the car is like turning the key from position 2 to 1 and then one more push is turning the key from 1 to 0.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 Alpine White 550i

If you are on a phone call through the bluetooth system and press the start/stop button once, your session does not get cut off. Handy when you're on the phone, want to park in your garage and not let your engine run.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:59 AM
Members

So what happens when you push it three times? Does the car tell you to "knock it off"?
Just curious...
Old 01-17-2006, 06:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

Originally Posted by evil96' post='225361' date='Jan 17 2006, 08:59 AM
So what happens when you push it three times? Does the car tell you to "knock it off"?
Just curious...
It re-starts the engine.

With comfort access it seems even more complicated. I have a manual transmission. I usually press down the clutch while in first gear and press the stop button. The engine stops. Then I let off the clutch and push the button the second time to turn off the electronics. However, more than a few times I have pressed the button the second time with the clutch still pressed down and the engine restarts.

I think I may need to rethink my procedure to eliminate this from occuring. Maybe I should put the car in neutral and engage the parking brake, and just hit the button twice to eliminate the restart situation. It will not restart if the clutch is not pressed down.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:42 AM
Senior Members

If you're not on the phone, you don't have to press the button twice. Just press it for aboput four seconds and everything will shut down.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

Originally Posted by markt540i' post='225367' date='Jan 17 2006, 09:09 AM
It re-starts the engine.

With comfort access it seems even more complicated. I have a manual transmission. I usually press down the clutch while in first gear and press the stop button. The engine stops. Then I let off the clutch and push the button the second time to turn off the electronics. However, more than a few times I have pressed the button the second time with the clutch still pressed down and the engine restarts.

I think I may need to rethink my procedure to eliminate this from occuring. Maybe I should put the car in neutral and engage the parking brake, and just hit the button twice to eliminate the restart situation. It will not restart if the clutch is not pressed down.
It should not restart unless your foot is on the brake - which woud be the same situation with or without comfort access. Does it work differently with manual?

However, if you do forget to press the button a second time and get out of the car and do not lock it (like in your garage), as far as I know, everthing stays on. Not sure if it ever shuts off (or if the battery has to drain out).
Old 01-17-2006, 01:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

Originally Posted by doug_999' post='225609
It re-starts the engine.

It should not restart unless your foot is on the brake - which woud be the same situation with or without comfort access. Does it work differently with manual?

However, if you do forget to press the button a second time and get out of the car and do not lock it (like in your garage), as far as I know, everthing stays on. Not sure if it ever shuts off (or if the battery has to drain out).
[/quote]

With the manual you do not have to press the brake, just the clutch. I have never left my car without turning off the electronics (pressing the second time). I read months ago where someone on this forum was doing this thinking it would turn off only to return to a dead battery. I always press it the second time.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White/Biege 545i, CWP, Nav, Active Steering, Auto Step ordered 2/1/05

In the older E60 models (pre-MY '06) one just needs to turn the key to start and let go of it to start the car. You don't need to keep the key turned till the engine starts.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:58 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='225247' date='Jan 17 2006, 12:09 AM
Through another klutzy move I figured out that when shutting off the car you can push the Start/Stop button twice.

The first push turns off the engine ... which I obviously have been doing all along. The second push shuts down the radio. I've been clicking the key fob out to do this before.

I guess I should read the Owners' Manual afterall. But, I haven't been able to find out who else owns my car so I can't get us all together for a reading night.

Tachyon,

I will forward all my questons about the pushbutton start/stop to you when I get my car. You are the forum expert on this. LOL

CVT Benhogan

Quick Reply: Start/Stop Button Trick