E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Start / Stop Button

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 09:46 PM
MEX
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whew!!
and most of us complaint about the new button being a 2 step process.

There ya go!! it CAN be a 3 step process (put key in, push button, press key!) , just great
Old 12-14-2005, 08:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i, Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Sound PKG, Cold PKG, STEP Tranny, Power sun shades, fold rear seats, rear seat heating, PDC, Nav

That kinda makes sense.

The state machine for engine start probably has a few entry points and conditions; or the programmer didnt to a Path Coverage test...
Old 01-06-2006, 07:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Comfort Access, Xenon Headlights, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Steptronic Transmission. Silver Gray Metallic with Gray Leather. Added Red rear reflectors. Swapped stock Style 124 wheels and Bridgestone run-flat tires for BMW Style 125 5-Double Spoke wheels, 8" x 19" front, 9.5" x 19" rear with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires, 245/40YR-19 front and 275/30YR-19 rear.

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='209804' date='Dec 10 2005, 05:36 PM
In my new 550 I figured out that the start up sequence works 2 ways. With the key fob in the ignition - but not clicked in - I can push the start button and then push in the key and the engine fires up. (The standard sequence: click in the key and then hit the start button - foot on the brake, of course, both ways).

Who knew?
Why put the key in the "ignition"? On my '06 550i I just put my foot on the brake and press the Start button once.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:51 PM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Originally Posted by E60VTA' post='220318
In my new 550 I figured out that the start up sequence works 2 ways. With the key fob in the ignition - but not clicked in - I can push the start button and then push in the key and the engine fires up. (The standard sequence: click in the key and then hit the start button - foot on the brake, of course, both ways).

Who knew?
Why put the key in the "ignition"? On my '06 550i I just put my foot on the brake and press the Start button once.
[/quote]

Heh. Don't make fun of people without Comfort Access. ;-)
Old 01-07-2006, 01:29 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have read that if you stopped your engine and removed the key. You can still start the engine by pressing the button within 10 seconds of removing the key. Apprarently its a safety function to avoid car jacking.
I tried it on a loan 1 Series and it does work. Some people think its a fault as kids could potentially start the car up if their legs are long enough to the pedal.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:45 AM
Senior Members

I hear the 2007's will have a new feature where to open the trunk you first need to open the hood, then close it, then walk to the back and open the trunk. I hear it's a safety feature to keep kids out of the trunk. And for those who opt to pay $1000 for the optional CPA (Comfort Package Access) you'll be able to just walk to the back and open the trunk from the fob.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:20 AM
New Members

My Ride: Rides: 1992 525i (Sold), 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (Sold), Everett-Morrison Cobra - built 1998, 2005 Nissan Frontier Pick Up (daily driver)

Originally Posted by E60VTA' post='220318' date='Jan 7 2006, 05:45 AM
Yeah, I thought the purpose of Comfort Access was that you didn't have to have the key out of your pocket or briefcase.

Have the key on you, touch the door handle to unlock the car and get in, put your foot on the brake and press start - drive away.

Why would you have to put the key in the ignition??? Why the heck would you pay $1000 for CA if you're still going to put the stupid key in the ignition???

Old 01-07-2006, 11:37 AM
Members

My Ride: 130i, 265 HP, just serious extras

Originally Posted by BMW530' post='220441' date='Jan 7 2006, 05:29 AM
Have read that if you stopped your engine and removed the key. You can still start the engine by pressing the button within 10 seconds of removing the key. Apprarently its a safety function to avoid car jacking.
I tried it on a loan 1 Series and it does work. Some people think its a fault as kids could potentially start the car up if their legs are long enough to the pedal.
Yes but its even more than 10 sec., I?ve read from people with up to one minute. Could be in the software version. A buddy stopped at the gas station, removed the key, got gas, went in to pay without (!) looking the doors, came back to the car, FORGOT to put the key in, pressed start, car started, went driving, then saw that he had forgot to put in the key, but he?s driving!

Funny isnt it? I hear some people are complaining with BMW already.

Must be a new "safety feature" for potential thieves (or those just becoming one being at the gas station by coincidence).

Old 01-07-2006, 01:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by dude_in_germany' post='220645
Yes but its even more than 10 sec., I?ve read from people with up to one minute. Could be in the software version. A buddy stopped at the gas station, removed the key, got gas, went in to pay without (!) looking the doors, came back to the car, FORGOT to put the key in, pressed start, car started, went driving, then saw that he had forgot to put in the key, but he?s driving!

Funny isnt it? I hear some people are complaining with BMW already.

Must be a new "safety feature" for potential thieves (or those just becoming one being at the gas station by coincidence).

[/quote]

Yes, funny, but this is true, I have read about this feature in German net mags.

Maybe some day the E60 behaves like the Nightriders good ol' black Pontiac T/A, KITT?
Old 01-07-2006, 04:11 PM
Contributors

i tried it

Quick Reply: Start / Stop Button