E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Start / stop button

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 07:31 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

Comfort access for $1,000 does seem very expensive. I plan to get it anyway or I know I would regret it. It will likely be standard next year or the next. And I agree, a start/stop button without comfort access seems silly. I would prefer to just stick the key in and turn it.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by vffun' date='Oct 6 2005, 10:12 PM
They should make it like the one in the new Passat at least...you simply insert the key and press it in to start the car...
[snapback]180664[/snapback]
My father as an 04 Lexus LS430 with smart key access. If any of you who are raving about the BMW start/stop without CA, maybe you need to look at other keyless system. The LS was one step close to true keyless; 06 GS comes standard and perfect it.

1. Put the key in your pocket.
2. Be within less than 12 inches of the car (touch the handle). The door lock opens.
3. Sit in the damn car and start the engine (push button). Your passenger can be holding the key if he/she wanted to.
3. Drive.

I believe that's what BMW with CA is trying to attain. Hence, without CA, it's simply a half-a$$ job. Proponents of "push buttons," you have a point about the messly extra step. Opponents of the push button "without" CA, you also have a valid point.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:54 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' date='Oct 6 2005, 10:38 PM
[quote name='vffun' date='Oct 6 2005, 10:12 PM']They should make it like the one in the new Passat at least...you simply insert the key and press it in to start the car...

2. Be within less than 12 inches of the car (touch the handle). The door lock opens.
3. Sit in the damn car and start the engine (push button). Your passenger can be holding the key if he/she wanted to.
3. Drive.
[snapback]180672[/snapback]
[/quote]

That's how Keyless Go works, no different........only it worked half the time as I stated above.

I don't think its all that difficult to push a button that unlocks the door and pull the handle to open it.

The only slight advantage of CA (to me) is the start/stop button deal.

I say slight because you need to have the key on you regardless. I don't personally just carry around a key, there is other crap on the keychain.

Therefore the keys are not in my pocket. So just like with the E500, I would have to get in the car, store the keys and then press the start/stop button.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

I completely agree. It does have the emotional aspect. It is not all that useful, but again, it is one of the new things on the market and I like it.

I also agree that Comfort Access should be standard on the 5 and 7 series. Just add an extra $800 or so to the price of the base.

I am also tired of reading "it's an extra step". It takes less than a second to perform this 'extra step', but you get the "cool factor" with it.

Again, CA should be standard, but if BMW has a push-button start on some of their newer cars, then I want it!

Originally Posted by Knubblo' date='Oct 6 2005, 12:48 PM
Hi,

Noticed that there has been a lot of discussions about the start/stop button from MY2006 Sept build. The general conclusions are

The ones who didn't get it, says it sucks (normal reaction if you missed something) and even if they would have got it it still sucks. And finally if they actually selected it they would select it with Comfort Access, but then again no, since that option is too expensive.

From my perspective the button adds both emotional as well as technical pros:

The button itself signals performance car, much like any GT sports car. The new "key" is more technically advanced than the old standard key. The crypto software in the new key is coded with DES whereas the standard key is only by a standard 128 bit encryption which is checked upon ignition.
Another benefit is the start/stop which starts the engine with the exact timing needed. Using the old key (if you are careless) you might keep the key at ignition too long causing engine damage.

Finally, I think it blends in quite nice together with the iDrive and the avant garde designed interior.

/Knubblo
[snapback]180477[/snapback]
Old 10-06-2005, 08:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by 50cal' date='Oct 6 2005, 10:54 PM
[quote name='Bimmer32' date='Oct 6 2005, 10:38 PM'][quote name='vffun' date='Oct 6 2005, 10:12 PM']They should make it like the one in the new Passat at least...you simply insert the key and press it in to start the car...

3. Drive.
[snapback]180672[/snapback]
[/quote]

That's how Keyless Go works, no different........only it worked half the time as I stated above.

I don't think its all that difficult to push a button that unlocks the door and pull the handle to open it.

The only slight advantage of CA (to me) is the start/stop button deal.

I say slight because you need to have the key on you regardless. I don't personally just carry around a key, there is other crap on the keychain.

Therefore the keys are not in my pocket. So just like with the E500, I would have to get in the car, store the keys and then press the start/stop button.
[snapback]180678[/snapback]
[/quote]

Perhaps if BMW implanted a chip in your head or have an iris scan, would you be happier? In the case of a woman who carries her purse around all the time, smart access is convenience. Perhaps if automakers make a "key" slim enough (access card) so men and put it in their wallets, I guess enough I will be happy.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

If comfort access is standard than I would live with it, if it is not than I wouldn't get it for sure because I have tested the GS and the salesman is holding on to the key and I didn't see the key until we were back at the dealer. Is a pretty weird feeling driving without a key, but I guess you will be used to it just like when keyless entry first come out on the market and you skip the step of turning the key to unlock the car.

As for the hurting engine part, let's just say you don't know your car well. It didn't exactly say on the manual but I figure that when a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am rental car have the start assist feature, shouldn't a car like E60 have it? So I try it on the demo and yup is there.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' date='Oct 7 2005, 12:12 PM
Perhaps if BMW implanted a chip in your head or have an iris scan, would you be happier? In the case of a woman who carries her purse around all the time, smart access is convenience. Perhaps if automakers make a "key" slim enough (access card) so men and put it in their wallets, I guess enough I will be happy.
[snapback]180688[/snapback]
With all the problems BMW is having with their electronics, would you still want the comfort access the first year they introduce it?
Old 10-06-2005, 08:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Knubblo' date='Oct 6 2005, 11:48 AM
Hi,

Noticed that there has been a lot of discussions about the start/stop button from MY2006 Sept build. The general conclusions are

The ones who didn't get it, says it sucks (normal reaction if you missed something) and even if they would have got it it still sucks. And finally if they actually selected it they would select it with Comfort Access, but then again no, since that option is too expensive.

From my perspective the button adds both emotional as well as technical pros:

The button itself signals performance car, much like any GT sports car. The new "key" is more technically advanced than the old standard key. The crypto software in the new key is coded with DES whereas the standard key is only by a standard 128 bit encryption which is checked upon ignition.
Another benefit is the start/stop which starts the engine with the exact timing needed. Using the old key (if you are careless) you might keep the key at ignition too long causing engine damage.

Finally, I think it blends in quite nice together with the iDrive and the avant garde designed interior.

/Knubblo

If you like I made a little video on the Start up and stop of the E90... essentially the same as the New E60 start.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=16811
Old 10-06-2005, 08:28 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Knubblo' date='Oct 6 2005, 01:48 PM
The crypto software in the new key is coded with DES whereas the standard key is only by a standard 128 bit encryption which is checked upon ignition.

/Knubblo
Knubblo,

I hope you didn't let a saleperson talk to you about DES and 128-bit. For the sake of this forum, I will try not to be too technical and my memory might be rough, so correct me if I'm wrong:

DES (data encrytion standard) uses 56 bit long keys. 3DES (triple DES) uses 112-bit long keys. DES has been proven crackable in a little over half an hour of brute-force exhaustive search.

128 bit is very secure. That's wehre AES (advance encrytion standard) comes in to replace DES back in 1998. I think AES can come in 128, 192, and 256 bit long keys. AES is the federal standard for secure network (electronic) communication. That's why website with (ssl or https) are 128 bit encryted. It's near impossible (in practical terms) to crack this encrytion.

Hence, if a car key is 128 bit and push button is DES, somebody is going BACKWARD. I do believe the car key is 128 bit encryt. That's just my cobb web memory with computer network and RSA Lab.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:33 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 50cal' date='Oct 6 2005, 10:54 PM

[snapback]180678[/snapback]
It's an MB, what do you expect . . . for it to work ALL the time? My father's LS430 works eveytime. My brother's S500 . . . he hasn't been bragging about it, but I'll ask him.

Quick Reply: Start / stop button