E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Start / stop button

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 10:48 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Noticed that there has been a lot of discussions about the start/stop button from MY2006 Sept build. The general conclusions are

The ones who didn't get it, says it sucks (normal reaction if you missed something) and even if they would have got it it still sucks. And finally if they actually selected it they would select it with Comfort Access, but then again no, since that option is too expensive.

From my perspective the button adds both emotional as well as technical pros:

The button itself signals performance car, much like any GT sports car. The new "key" is more technically advanced than the old standard key. The crypto software in the new key is coded with DES whereas the standard key is only by a standard 128 bit encryption which is checked upon ignition.
Another benefit is the start/stop which starts the engine with the exact timing needed. Using the old key (if you are careless) you might keep the key at ignition too long causing engine damage.

Finally, I think it blends in quite nice together with the iDrive and the avant garde designed interior.

/Knubblo
Old 10-06-2005, 10:57 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Knubblo' date='Oct 6 2005, 11:48 AM
Hi,

Noticed that there has been a lot of discussions about the start/stop button from MY2006 Sept build. The general conclusions are

The ones who didn't get it, says it sucks (normal reaction if you missed something) and even if they would have got it it still sucks. And finally if they actually selected it they would select it with Comfort Access, but then again no, since that option is too expensive.

From my perspective the button adds both emotional as well as technical pros:

The button itself signals performance car, much like any GT sports car. The new "key" is more technically advanced than the old standard key. The crypto software in the new key is coded with DES whereas the standard key is only by a standard 128 bit encryption which is checked upon ignition.
Another benefit is the start/stop which starts the engine with the exact timing needed. Using the old key (if you are careless) you might keep the key at ignition too long causing engine damage.

Finally, I think it blends in quite nice together with the iDrive and the avant garde designed interior.

/Knubblo
[snapback]180477[/snapback]

I personally feel the start/stop button is BS without comfort access (which is a rip off). If you could still turn the key fob to start, that would be one thing, but now there is an extra step to start & stop the car. And removing the new key fob is more complicated than removing the previous key--you need to push in the key fob before you remove it.

I had a E90 loaner last week, and, yes, the new key fob is cool looking, but I didn't like the extra steps to start/stop the car.

I had keyless go on my E55 (bought a dealer ordered car). At least with the Mercedes system you could insert & turn the key fob if you didn't have keyless go.

E60s have always had comfort start--you turn the key and let go--no chance to grind the starter.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525i Jet Black (Base + PDC)

To your point about timing of staring the engine: The ones with the key works exactly the same as a button. You just turn once (instead of push), the car will start using the exact timing.

I have to agree that it looks nice. But then without CA, it just one extra step to start the car.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Knubblo' date='Oct 6 2005, 08:48 PM

[snapback]180477[/snapback]
No.
I don't have it, I would have paid for it, and would have paid for the copmfort access, just to have ebverything... you never knw.
But it is the biggest BS without CA! NO benefit at all!!! Comfort start is allready there!
I am happy I couldn't get it at the time I ordered mine, because I would have gotten it.

Originally Posted by stream' date='Oct 6 2005, 08:57 PM
I personally feel the start/stop button is BS without comfort access (which is a rip off).

E60s have always had comfort start--you turn the key and let go--no chance to grind the starter.
[snapback]180484[/snapback]
Exactly!
Comfort start is allready there! Ppl who make such coments like Knubblo probably don't know about it.
I don't think CA is a rip off, but it is not as comfortable as it should be, espacially when you have passengers, but I would have gotten it. I just couldn't and am now very happy.
The start/stop button itself is PURE BS!

The look is BAD, since the keyfpb is butt ugly, and it is one more step to do, the total opposite of idrive, which was invented to have all functions controlled by the computer and get rid of all the buttons.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:16 PM
Contributors

True, I wonder why BMW did that? Either gives the entire pkg or none. Why 1/2 and extra step for those who do not get the CA?
Old 10-06-2005, 03:30 PM
Members

Originally Posted by amigo525' date='Oct 6 2005, 03:16 PM
True, I wonder why BMW did that? Either gives the entire pkg or none. Why 1/2 and extra step for those who do not get the CA?
[snapback]180578[/snapback]
Either way, BMW should include Comfort Access as standard for the money they are charging for the e60. All competitors like Infiniti Mxx and Lexus GS have it standard, BMW should include it standard too
Old 10-06-2005, 03:48 PM
Members

I admit, it's cool but not worth the wait. That was one think I liked about he E90 but that was about it, compared to the E60. Actually, there was one more think about the E90. It had an aux port and CLA built in under the armrest.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:57 PM
Members

Didn't order CA and still wouldn't if I had to do it over again.

The option is a ripoff as it should be standard (just like fold down rear seats), I'll deal with the "extra" step.......big deal.

Had Keyless Go on 2 E500's and worked about half the time.

Just another POS to break or work here and there.

Ordered comfort seats instead, another ripoff but shouldn't be standard.

Didn't want to load up a 550i to over $65k. If I did, would be kicking myself for not just going with the M5.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 M5 -- Exterior: Silverstone, Interior: Black. Fully Loaded. That just about sums it up! :-)

Hi Knubblo,

Liked your commentary. The start/stop discussion has clearly been somewhat of an "emotional" one!

If I hear one more time "Hey, I'm pissed because it's one more step.".....

Puh-Leeeeeze!

C'mon, we're intelligent people here. The fact that all of us found some way to drive an E60 suggests (I HOPE) that we're all pretty intelligent -- At least above intelligence of the guy who would stick his tongue on a frozen pole!

One more step isn't going to kill anyone. Unless you're on the edge of a cliff!

O.K. Knubblo, you reeled me in. You threw out the bait and I bit.

I just love this E60 Forum: For great information,...and humor too!!!

Cheers Everyone.
-Tony
Old 10-06-2005, 07:12 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525i Jet Black (Base + PDC)

They should make it like the one in the new Passat at least...you simply insert the key and press it in to start the car...

Quick Reply: Start / stop button