E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Start/Stop Button

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 02:33 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those of you agonizing over the start/stop button on the 06 models, I can say that it's really not that big of a deal -- and after a while, I actually preferred turning a key.

Buddy of mine just took delivery of a 330i and I got tool around it in for the weekend. (Sweet car, the E90 is, by the way.) And, while at first the start/stop button was a cool thing to play with, after a while the novelty wore off and I actually was pining for the tactile sensation of turning an actual key. Plus, the actual step of inserting a key fob, and then moving your hand to push a button actually takes longer than just the old fashioned key (maybe comfort access will change this.)
Old 08-08-2005, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' date='Aug 9 2005, 12:33 AM
For those of you agonizing over the start/stop button on the 06 models, I can say that it's really not that big of a deal -- and after a while, I actually preferred turning a key.

Buddy of mine just took delivery of a 330i and I got tool around it in for the weekend.? (Sweet car, the E90 is, by the way.)? And, while at first the start/stop button was a cool thing to play with, after a while the novelty wore off and I actually was pining for the tactile sensation of turning an actual key.? Plus, the actual step of inserting a key fob, and then moving your hand to push a button actually takes longer than just the old fashioned key (maybe comfort access will change this.)
[snapback]157281[/snapback]
I couldn't agree more. The comfort access definately is another story.
I have only seen one start/stop button I liked, that's the one on the new Passat. The start/stop button is where you put the key in, so when you put the key in and push a little more, the engine starts. It also doesn't look that bad.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' date='Aug 8 2005, 05:33 PM

Buddy of mine just took delivery of a 330i and I got tool around it in for the weekend.? (Sweet car, the E90 is, by the way.)? And, while at first the start/stop button was a cool thing to play with, after a while the novelty wore off and I actually was pining for the tactile sensation of turning an actual key.? Plus, the actual step of inserting a key fob, and then moving your hand to push a button actually takes longer than just the old fashioned key (maybe comfort access will change this.)
[snapback]157281[/snapback]
Agreed. I have only driven one car with start/stop - a renault megane. you could take the fob out whilst driving but not switch off until you put it back. Handy eh
Old 08-08-2005, 03:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525i Silver Gray/Auto/Prem/Xenon/Nav/Sirius

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Aug 8 2005, 03:49 PM
I have only seen one start/stop button I liked, that's the one on the new Passat. The start/stop button is where you put the key in, so when you put the key in and push a little more, the engine starts. It also doesn't look that bad.
[snapback]157293[/snapback]
What the heck is the point in that versus put-key-in-and-twist ???
Old 08-08-2005, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I agree too. I've used keyless-go (comfort access) and that's fine since you don't need to insert any key but putting a key in a slot and pressing a button? That's exactly what we have now since technically, the E60's start program is initiated by turning the key. No need to hold the key until it starts, etc. Just insert key, twist momentarily, and let go. The car will do the rest. Way more efficient than inserting a key and then moving your hand to reach a different button...
Old 08-08-2005, 03:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

I actually like the twist type of Acura RL. Granted, the comfort access is the main attraction, not the twist or push mechanisms. No longer you need to remove the keys from your pocket, or yor bag, if you're a woman.

I love it when the car would unlock itself up when you pull the door handle. It's definitely worth $1,000 IMHO.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:34 PM
Senior Members

I agree with everyone here that comfort access is a nice feature.

The start/stop button, standing alone, is rather gimmicky, esp. on the E90. Loses its allure rather quickly and not very intuitive.

The only start/stop button feature that I enjoyed was in the Z8, maybe it was because of the center-mounted console. Who knows.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Only thing I like about the start stop I think... is the non metal key... But I dont like how the E90 Key Fob looks I like the classier E65 look... the E60 looks like cheap plastic. Wonder how the E60s will look.

I defiently like Comfort Access tho.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 2006 Jet Black w/tan leather. Premium package; Sport Package; Sat Radio

#1 How does comfort access work?
#2 What is FOB?

Thanks
Old 08-08-2005, 08:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Originally Posted by bitboy' date='Aug 8 2005, 06:58 PM
#1 How does comfort access work?
#2 What is FOB?

Thanks
[snapback]157357[/snapback]
1) This is a system where you are able to start the motor of your car by simplying pressing a button on your dash. This system does not require you to put your key in the ignition or any such 'port'. You can keep your key in your pocket/purse.
This works because the car is able to detect that the key is in your possession because it is within the required range (ie. in the cabin of the car).

2) FOB is simply the handle of any key. Most manufacturers have key-fobs with multiple buttons on them (ie. lock/unlock the car, arm/disarm the alarm, open the trunk, etc.). This does not mean "fresh-off-the-boat".

Quick Reply: Start/Stop Button