E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

start button

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 01:41 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Well, and then factor in the spotty functioning currently reported on the 330i...

Attributed to Car and Driver:

"Our 330i labored hard to lose. The electrical ticks began shortly after it was delivered. The new 3-series has a push-button start. Ours would work only after several exasperated pushes and fiddling with the key. Why, we wondered in the free moments this created, must you even insert the "key" into the dash when many push-button systems, including the IS350's, allow the radio-transmitting key fob to roam free?"
Old 09-26-2005, 02:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

The guys in Munich usually need 2-3 years to get something "right". I'm not sure why that is either. I'm sure they are very bright guys and a lot of car manufacturers "leverage" technology from other manufacturers. BUT, for some reason, BMW lags with stuff that others get "right" out of the gate. Case-in-point, MP3 (etc, etc, etc).

Originally Posted by UUronL' date='Sep 26 2005, 03:41 PM
Well, and then factor in the spotty functioning currently reported on the 330i...

Attributed to Car and Driver:

"Our 330i labored hard to lose. The electrical ticks began shortly after it was delivered. The new 3-series has a push-button start. Ours would work only after several exasperated pushes and fiddling with the key. Why, we wondered in the free moments this created, must you even insert the "key" into the dash when many push-button systems, including the IS350's, allow the radio-transmitting key fob to roam free?"
[snapback]175337[/snapback]
Old 09-26-2005, 06:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545 jet black/beige, smg sport,premium,sunshades,logic7,cwp,nav,pdc,bluetooth,16.0,light tint all around,Pirelli PZeroNero

absolutely stupid button-i am glad i dont have one,would be different story if the car had keyless entry and keyless start by recognising the owner-one day it will come!
Old 09-26-2005, 06:56 PM
Senior Members

Silly option. It's like the push starter on your BBQ grill.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:58 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525i Jet Black (Base + PDC)

Agree! I don't see the point of putting the key into the steering column, then press the button!
Old 09-26-2005, 07:00 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Orient Blue, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Package, Satellite Radio, Rear Reflectors, Chrome Grilles. 2007 Z4, Silver Grey Metalic, Premium Package, Sport Package, Heated Seats, Xenon, Premium Radio

I have a 2006 and I am glad I mine was built before the start button was added. It is really stupid. I definitely would not pay an additional $1000 so I can keep the fob in my pocket. If if has a start button - it must come with that option free. What a rip off.

Why would BMW have a start button that requires a fob ibe placed into a slot and then push a button? That's an extra step from just a key. How dumb. After all that ... one would then need to push the Idrive button to say "yes I accept" to the lawyer screen??!!! What ever happened to turn and go?
Old 09-26-2005, 07:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by RedSoxFan' date='Sep 27 2005, 11:00 AM
I have a 2006 and I am glad I mine was built before the start button was added.? It is really stupid.? I definitely would not pay an additional $1000 so I can keep the fob in my pocket.? If if has a start button - it must come with that option free.? What a rip off.

Why would BMW have a start button that requires a fob ibe placed into a slot and then push a button? That's an extra step from just a key.? How dumb.? After all that ... one would then need to push the Idrive button to say "yes I accept" to the lawyer screen??!!!? ? What ever happened to turn and go??
[snapback]175506[/snapback]
You need to confirm something on the idrive before driving off in the states?
Old 09-26-2005, 07:29 PM
Members

Originally Posted by RedSoxFan' date='Sep 26 2005, 08:00 PM
I have a 2006 and I am glad I mine was built before the start button was added.? It is really stupid.? I definitely would not pay an additional $1000 so I can keep the fob in my pocket.? If if has a start button - it must come with that option free.? What a rip off.

Why would BMW have a start button that requires a fob ibe placed into a slot and then push a button? That's an extra step from just a key.? How dumb.? After all that ... one would then need to push the Idrive button to say "yes I accept" to the lawyer screen??!!!? ? What ever happened to turn and go??
The BMWUSA website actually states that one doesn't need to insert the fob into the slot to start the engine...
Old 09-26-2005, 07:35 PM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Originally Posted by lennynchris' date='Sep 26 2005, 09:29 PM
The BMWUSA website actually states that one doesn't need to insert the fob into the slot to start the engine...
[snapback]175524[/snapback]
That's only if you choose the $1000 Comfort Access option he was referring to.

Otherwise, you must insert the fob and use the Start/Stop button.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:39 PM
Members

My Ride: 530xiT

Originally Posted by RedSoxFan' date='Sep 26 2005, 08:00 PM

In 6 months, comfort access will be standard. They know that when something like this first comes out, they can get an extra $1000 out of guys like me who can't wait a few months to order the car!

Quick Reply: start button