E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Standard Audio crap?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 10:07 PM
JDN
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by amigo525' date='Sep 2 2004, 09:13 PM
Is some one with me? I found the standard sound to be good.
I'm with you.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:44 PM
Senior Members

but your standard sound in the US is different than the standard sound the author of this thread is referring to.

US standard sound is referred to as HiFi (option 676) here. I would hope that this option is okay for most musical tastes?
Old 09-02-2004, 11:16 PM
Members

The first option for the UK spec cars which is the HiFi option should be fine for most people who don't have audiophile expectations.

I have that option placed into my car because Australian E60s come standard with only 6 speakers. I'm no audio expert but I wanted the subs that came with the 10 speaker option. Just couldn't find the budget to fit Logic7 in to my regret, especially as you can't retrofit it.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:10 AM
Senior Members

thanks for the info guys.

that explains why all the US E60's owners are happy with "standard" system, yours are the equivalent of UK standard + Hifi option, godammit you US lot get everything still at least we get the clear euro reflector headlights over here

oh well looks like i'll be upgrading my speakers then
Old 09-03-2004, 03:44 AM
Contributors

Arrow

I know the regular/standard sound comes with 2 woofers underneath the front seats.

Am I correct about that?

Thanks
Old 09-03-2004, 05:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 2011 F11 520d SE Touring Auto, Sophisto Grey, black dakota leather, prof. nav (media pack), sports seats, DAB, speaker upgrade, ConnectedDrive, Internet

(Northernmonkey), can you post the details if you successfully upgrade the standard 6 UK-spec speakers "in place" - i.e. what speaker brand/types?

I've recently ordered a UK 525d with several options but didn't upgrade the audio, which may have been a mistake on my part, reading the Forum! It is a company car order and as such as I'm not allowed to revise my order, even though car won't be delivered till November.

(Also I'm new to Forum and can't see where to enter the specs of my car- to-be, sorry guys/gals, but it's a 525d with 3 of the new option packages that are now offered in the UK - Media Pack, Luxury Pack and Visibility Pack)
Old 09-03-2004, 06:41 AM
Senior Members

BarrowBoy, will do.....haven't been to any car audio places yet but I guess I'll be looking at the Alpine custom fit series. I dont want anything that changes the look of the existing speaker locations, just something better that fits in place of the existing speakers and utilizes the existing grilles.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 550i - AS, SP, CWP, Nav, L7, Rear Sunshades, PDC, Comfort Seats

Originally Posted by GP545iSport' date='Sep 2 2004, 11:08 PM
[quote name='amigo525' date='Sep 2 2004, 10:13 PM']Is some one with me? I found the standard sound to be good.

I listen to jazz and classical music and it sounds good...now if you want to hear a weak sound..go to the E39 or the e49 with standard sound system.

323i 2000
525i 20002
525i 20004.

Next? Either the 7 or the 545i
I also find the standard system to be very good. Does this system have a sub-woofer or does it only come with the Premium sound package? [/quote]
Thanks for the information everyone.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:58 AM
Members

amigo525, yes you're correct. the standard US spec comes with 2 subs under the seats.

Barrowboy, welcome to the forum! I know you'll find lots of useful info here. I know I have. Also to put your car specs goto MY CONTROLS on the menu bar above and type your specs on your signature.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:33 AM
Senior Members

Ok, I was speaking to a guy today that owns a car audio shop, also a BMW owner

We were talking about upgrading the system in my car. Due to the nature of the BMW audio system he said it was not as simple as just installing new speakers. his advice to upgrade was todo the following:

- replace the bmw amp (and combined crossover module) with a decent one !!
- install an EQ to filter the signal from the amp to the speakers
- install the new speaker system in the existing housings

the story was this would result in a vastly improved sound quality but would take 2 days to install due to the work involved etc etc...he also mentioned that cars such as new E60's and certain merc's have fibre optic networks inside so this is another reason they need to take care+time doing the install.

does anyone on here have any comment on the upgrade suggestion, anyone done the same of anything different? I was kind of hoping I could just change the speakers but the compelling arguement to change the amp for a decent on also seemed valid to me.

all in the cost would be approx ?1400 which is using good quality speakers/amp etc from these people Genesis

i guess retrofit of Logic7 is not an option?

Quick Reply: Standard Audio crap?