E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Squeaky Window Seals.......redux....ad nauseam

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 04:08 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

OK.......I have searched all the previous posts on this subject, BUT.....

I can't find anyone with a definitive fix, or a TSB that solves the window squeaking problem. I am taking my car in for the the fourth time next week to have carboflo installed again. I have read several posts about new window seals, but my service advisor tells me he can't find any info on new seals. Does anyone have a service bulletin number, reference, part number...any info?? I am soooo tired of the noise, and so tired of having to leave my car for 3-4 days!! Carboflo seems to work great for a couple of weeks, but after a 2 or 3 washes, or rain, the squeaking returns with a vengance!!

Thanks in advance for any help!!
Old 03-25-2005, 12:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)

I feel for you kmslo ! Many of us are suffering in the same way.

I am also looking for a TIS on this to give to my dealer who is typically clueless.

For me I have found that using Rejex in the door areas where the window meets the roofline helps significantly although does not eliminate it completely. I dont know how long term this is (1 week so far) but so far so good.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

Just buy a tube of carbaflow from the dealer and apply yourself when required. Much easier than sending the car in for it
Old 03-25-2005, 01:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 535 D - to be delivered end Feb 2005 - color E08 - comfort seats - executive leather balck - 122 wheels - dynamic drive - active steering - pack luxe - tecnology pack - moon roof - 6CD player - hifi system - spare wheel - BT phone

My car was built in February and up to now no noise.

If is can be of any help, I believe that all cars produced after January 25 have new sealing or new window frames.

Could be interesting to investigate.

It looks to be a recuring problem at BMW because my 1997 E39 was also having this type of problem.

I would suggest when going to car whash to not buy the "wax" option it makes all rubber parts noisy including the wipers blades.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:18 AM
Members

My Ride: 530d (Jan 2005) premium pack, pro nav, steptronic

Originally Posted by FJPM' date='Mar 25 2005, 11:54 AM
My car was built in February and up to now no noise.

If is can be of any help, I believe that all cars produced after January 25 have new sealing or new window frames.
[snapback]106449[/snapback]
So they should be able to order the new part and replace it on existing noisy cars, not just apply an ineffective lubricant.
My car was produced mid January 2005 and I got the creack on the passenger window.
Bonne journ?e !
Old 03-25-2005, 05:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

Thanks all.....I may have to just keep applying the carboflo, although that's not really a fix. I asked my SA about the new seals, and he knew nothing about them. It seems the only posts I find here about new seals are from European owners, so maybe new seals haven't made their way to the US yet. I'm also sure that BMWNA doesn't want to have to replace what could be in an incredible number of bad seals. In the meantime......I guess it's carboflo!!
Old 03-25-2005, 06:01 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by marty530d' date='Mar 25 2005, 03:49 AM
I feel for you kmslo ! Many of us are suffering in the same way.

I am also looking for a TIS on this to give to my dealer who is typically clueless.

For me I have found that using Rejex in the door areas where the window meets the roofline helps significantly although does not eliminate it completely. I dont know how long term this is (1 week so far) but so far so good.
[snapback]106416[/snapback]
I'm not sure how using rejex in this area would help me.....I THINK the problem is between the window glass and the seals in the window frame?? Or, am I completely wrong here? When I crack the windows ever so slightly, the squeaks go away!! Is this the same thing you are experiencing Marty?
Old 03-25-2005, 07:13 AM
Members

My Ride: 535 D - to be delivered end Feb 2005 - color E08 - comfort seats - executive leather balck - 122 wheels - dynamic drive - active steering - pack luxe - tecnology pack - moon roof - 6CD player - hifi system - spare wheel - BT phone

Originally Posted by kmslo530i' date='Mar 25 2005, 05:01 PM
[quote name='marty530d' date='Mar 25 2005, 03:49 AM']I feel for you kmslo ! Many of us are suffering in the same way.

[snapback]106416[/snapback]
I'm not sure how using rejex in this area would help me.....I THINK the problem is between the window glass and the seals in the window frame?? Or, am I completely wrong here? When I crack the windows ever so slightly, the squeaks go away!! Is this the same thing you are experiencing Marty?
[snapback]106506[/snapback]
[/quote]

I got the same problem on my E39 528 and also on a Peugeot 405 and it was the door seal and not the window seal and it was also stopping if opening the window.

I just cross checked how the sealing are made on my 535D:

1 sealing connected to the body in rubber all around
1 sealing connected to the door in rubber all around the door
1 sealing on the top edge of the door above the window made of rubber for the outside and a kind of soft velvet type cover for the inside (you sould check this in particular because it is like my former MB which was doing no noise).

Anyhow stop using wax in the rincing water
Old 03-25-2005, 07:26 AM
Members

It looks that the problem is also well known in Germany

http://www.motor-talk.de/t573809/f278/s/thread.html
Old 03-25-2005, 09:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Eccelsa, 05 2005 (built 12-04), sapphireblack, beige dakota leather, electric seats, poplar wood trim, sport suspension, 124 style 18" alloys, differentiated f/r runflat tyres, steptronic, adaptive light control, bi-xenon, BMW PRO nav, cd, cd changer, electric-foldable and automatic antidazzle rear mirrors, automatic antidazzle internal rear mirror, adjustable central armrest, BT, Hifi Professional LOGIC7 , extended functions aircon, full lighting package, green comfort fascia on windshield, PDC park distance control, voice control, CPT9000 car phone, BMW Assist, BMW On-line, BMW Tracking, alarm system, programmable remote controls.

Originally Posted by kmslo530i' date='Mar 25 2005, 02:08 AM
OK.......I have searched all the previous posts on this subject, BUT.....

I can't find anyone with a definitive fix, or a TSB that solves the window squeaking problem.? I am taking my car in for the the fourth time next week to have carboflo installed again.? I have read several posts about new window seals, but my service advisor tells me he can't find any info on new seals.? Does anyone have a service bulletin number, reference, part number...any info??? I am soooo tired of the noise, and so tired of having to leave my car for 3-4 days!!? Carboflo seems to work great for a couple of weeks, but after a 2 or 3 washes, or rain, the squeaking returns with a vengance!!

Thanks in advance for any help!!
[snapback]106231[/snapback]
Hi kmslo,

I fought with the same bloody problem for ten months now, and only recently I was able to sort out the reason and the solution. After several applications of Carboflo, that did nothing to solve the problem, the dealer received a tech note from BMW Italy telling him that from February 2005 a new set of doors seals is available. They ordered it, installed it and it seemed to work perfectly.

Unfortunely, after a few days the right side front door started again to squeak loudly, even worse than before. I was really crazy and desperate, without anymore any hope to get it fixed once and for all. I still insisted with the dealer and sent a new letter of complains to BMW Italia and they decided to send a "technical delegate" from the headquarter to inspect the car. He came, inspected the car, drove it for a full afternoon and agreed that a number of issues were present and should be rectified. Concerning the squeaking door, he discovered that the seal replaced was not the "new" type, but still an old one, probably a warehouse leftover. You can tell apart the new seals from the old ones because the new units have a small green dot near the item number. Fixing it will fix the problem for ever (they say).

I suggest you to insist with your dealer to order the modified parts and install them; I confirm to you that, in a few thousand km, the three modified seals installed on my car never squeaked again.

If you like, I'll try to track down BMW part number and all the relevant informatioin form my dealer.

Regards

Quick Reply: Squeaky Window Seals.......redux....ad nauseam