E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Squeaky noise from engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 01:46 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, need some help here.

Lately I am getting a squeaky noise from the engine bay, just like the sound of the serpentine belt slipping, under these conditions:

- When above 1500 rpm
- When in drive or reverse
- Not when in Neutral

As far as I have reasoned, it has nothing to do with the belts since the noise is not coming when in neutral.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tommy.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:06 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

If I were you, I would drop the belt and spin each of the pullies (alternator, power steering, AC compressor, belt tensioner, idler pullies) by hand and see if any of them make noise. While the belt is off, check the grooves on all those pullies is clean.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:48 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pcy
If I were you, I would drop the belt and spin each of the pullies (alternator, power steering, AC compressor, belt tensioner, idler pullies) by hand and see if any of them make noise. While the belt is off, check the grooves on all those pullies is clean.
Thanks for the tip. I'll try that.
I am still a bit curious about why the squeaking/squealing doesn't appear when in neutral. I would recon the belts have the same resistance if in drive or neutral?

Tommy.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:52 AM
Contributors

Some people have used those spray-on fan-belt dressings to quiet noisy fan belts. Those are NOT recommended for serpentine belts. Noise can come from misaligned tensioners and belts that need replacement (typically @ ~ 90K miles - though some last longer); How many miles on your car/belts?
Old 05-10-2011, 05:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Here is a good product to use and is the same thing in most cases that is used my the suppliers. Küber Lubrication http://www.klueber.com/ecomaXL/get_b...d4f9609e9937d8 This is a non visible material that you can apply that dries clear and prevents squeaks. The hard part is identiying exactly where they are...

There is another product call Molykote D-96 Anti-friction coating http://www.dowcorning.com/applicatio...4368&type=PROD which is a little less expensive but is also slightly visible. This would be used primarily in an area like behind the door panel edge where its not really seen. Hope this helps!
Old 05-10-2011, 05:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Sorry for the above post, it's out of position. I meant to put it in the other squeaking post...!!!
Old 05-11-2011, 01:38 AM
Contributors

Hi all.

Since I have fixed the problem, I thought I would share the solution...
The problem was not the belt, nor the gearbox. It was a rubber hose connected to the coolant-container which has rubbed against the aluminium pipe leading from the intercooler towards the inlet. The rubber hose has actually through time gradually rubbed down the aluminium, resulting in a hole. There also seems to be something causing the turbo-pressure to be higher when in D or R. However, I removed the alu-pipe which was held by two metal clips and a temperature sensor, cleaned and sanded around the hole. Then I used a blow-torch and Alutite to cover the hole. No everything is squaky-free :-)

Squeaky noise from engine bay-pipe0.jpg
Hose rubbing against alu.

Squeaky noise from engine bay-pipe1.jpg
Resulting in a hole

Squeaky noise from engine bay-pipe2.jpg

Squeaky noise from engine bay-pipe3.jpg
Padded on a bit of Alutite. This is NOT the final result :-) I forgot to take pictures after filled and sanded down to flush.

Anyways, thanks for all the suggestions!

Tommy.

Ps, would like to put SOLVED: in front of post title, is that possible?