E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Squeaky Front Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 07:08 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Allright all you tech guys out there...

BMW just issued a Service Bulletin on the issue of brake squeaking in the front wheels with cars that have greater than 25K on them. Per my SA,
the solution was (a) live with it and (b), change pads, sensors and rotors.

The kicker is I took my car back before the 50K warranty was up and they changed the sensors and the pads [not the rotors], because the bulletin wasn't out so they claim they knew no better.

The problem never went away so I took it back and now they tell me about this bulletin. The part that sucks is the car has now got 50,400 on it and they want me to pay for the rotors....

Has anyone else had this problem? Are there other fixes like buffing or polishing the rotors that may work? I think changing the rotors is a touc excessive but I hate the noise and want to get rid of it like yesterday...

Help, comments and advice are all appreciated...
Old 09-28-2007, 05:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by subarashi' post='475300' date='Sep 27 2007, 11:08 PM

BMW just issued a Service Bulletin on the issue of brake squeaking in the front wheels with cars that have greater than 25K on them. Per my SA,
You have a link to that service bulletin? I know there was a bulletin last year with the brake pad sensors, but havent seen anything on this.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i / Black Sapphire Metallic / 6spd. manual / Sports package

I have squeaky front brakes but only at low speeds (say like when I'm pulling into a driveway and press the brakes). My car only has 18K miles. I'm going to try and get new pads and re-surface the rotors to see if that'll help at all to resolve the issue. Why don't you try doing this? Re-surfacing and a set of new pads shouldn't cost that much at all.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i, Carbon Black Metallic with Black Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, NAV, Cold-Weather Package, Folding Rear Seats, Rear Side Impact Airbags, Sirius, iPod/USB Adapter,
Model Year: 2008

Has anyone else had this problem? Are there other fixes like buffing or polishing the rotors that may work? I think changing the rotors is a touc excessive but I hate the noise and want to get rid of it like yesterday...

[/quote]

Years ago a wise mechanic once told me to take my car to an area with no obstructions, like a mall parking lot, early in the morning and put the car in reverse and go as fast as you feel safely doing and then slam on or quickly apply the brakes. I've done this with American and Japanese vehicles and the squeaking has gone away. It does return some months later.

One last point - I've found if you are the type that gently brakes, you are more prone to get squeaky brakes.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Front pads need normally to be changed at 40 - 60 k km's. If driven hard even before it.

Usually squeaking brakes means, that the pads have to changed, at once.

For miles - divide the km's with about 1,6.

Brake pads are like toothpaste, the more you use it...
Old 09-30-2007, 03:00 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i, Silver Gray, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather package, Black Leather seats with lumbar support, Poplar wood finish. Mods: M6 19" wheels with 245/35/19 Front Tires 275/30/19 Rear Tires, K&N Filter, H&R Sway bars, Magnaflow Muffler, Sprint Booster, Black front grill, M-tech front bumper, Debadged

Do you have the Service Bulletine for the squeaking brake issue? Can you please post it?

I have the same problem at 30K miles and I have 1 month left on the warranty...so I will try to see if they will fix it.

thanks
Old 12-08-2007, 04:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Originally Posted by vsark' post='476259' date='Sep 30 2007, 07:00 PM
Do you have the Service Bulletine for the squeaking brake issue? Can you please post it?

I have the same problem at 30K miles and I have 1 month left on the warranty...so I will try to see if they will fix it.

thanks
Don't have the SIB for the brake issue but my SA told me it was out there. Rudy - can you help with this????
Old 12-08-2007, 07:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '04 Jet Black Once upon a time it had chrome wheels... 'til i joined this forum :)

Originally Posted by subarashi' post='475300' date='Sep 27 2007, 07:08 PM

The kicker is I took my car back before the 50K warranty was up and they changed the sensors and the pads [not the rotors], because the bulletin wasn't out so they claim they knew no better.

The problem never went away so I took it back and now they tell me about this bulletin. The part that sucks is the car has now got 50,400 on it and they want me to pay for the rotors....

Had the same exact problem over here! They changed my rotors, pads, and sensors under warranty, but not until they tried to fix it three times prior. I kept bringing it in until they finally decided to replace everything. Anyways, you said you brought it in before the warranty expired, but they never fixed the problem completely. Bring it back because you have documentation that you tried to get it fixed. Hopefully you have a good SA that can help you through your problem, but even if you don't, you have documentation so you're in the clear.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:10 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport Pak

Just brought mine in for similar problem, which developed around 25K. It now has 26.5K. Service manager said they only replaced pads. Haven't got car back to report on results.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:12 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

I have the same problem fixed twice. They changed my rotors, pads, and sensors. The noise went away for 3 months.
BMW just replaced everything again, but the noise came back in less than 24 hours this time. I'm taking my car in after Chrismas holidays.

Quick Reply: Squeaky Front Brakes