E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sports Package?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 06:06 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Retired: 2007 530i Silver Gray/Gray Leather, premium/sport/logic 7/hd radio/comfort access/park distance control 2010 535i M Sport Alpine White/Black premium/M-Sport,L7,Sat,HD Radio/Paddle Shifters/heated seats/comfort access/navigation/sport gear stick

Good Evening,

The lease on my 07 530i expires in October andI have begun the plans for my next 5. Question is do you feel the sports package is a must? My current vehicle does not have it and I think it handles great, yet I have always some what regreted not getting it after talking to others. For those that have it can you tell me your thoughts, why it is so great, how the firm is the ride etc.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2009, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

I think it's one of things where if you've never had it, you won't miss it...have you driven an e60 with a sport package yet?
Old 03-25-2009, 06:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by britus05' post='826888' date='Mar 25 2009, 10:06 PM
Good Evening,

The lease on my 07 530i expires in October andI have begun the plans for my next 5. Question is do you feel the sports package is a must? My current vehicle does not have it and I think it handles great, yet I have always some what regreted not getting it after talking to others. For those that have it can you tell me your thoughts, why it is so great, how the firm is the ride etc.

Thanks
I couldn't imagine getting a 5 Series without the Sports Package which is why I've gotten it in the two 5 Series cars that I've leased.

Obviously, the 550's sport package comes with substantial cosmetic enhancements, such as the body kit, the shadowline trim, the flashier exhaust, and the bigger, flashier wheels, among others. To me, the 550 with the Sports Package just looks a whole lot better than a 550 without it -- not quite a M5 but much more aggressive-looking than non-sport.

But the real reason I get the Sports Package is the enhanced handling. To me, the thing that separates BMW from the competition is its performance when the road turns twisty -- some of the 5 Series' competition, such as the MB E550 or the E63 is faster in a straigh line. The 550i with Sports Package's suspension is stiffer and considerably more repsonsive than the 550i non-sport. Of course, the downside of the stiffened suspension is that the ride is noticeably harsher over rough patches of road. I would not call it punishing (my car in between my 2003 540i Sport and my 2009 550i Sport, an Infiniti M45 Sport, had a truly punishing, jumpy/crashy ride over rough pavement and would readily slam right down to the bump stops when on rough roads, sending shudders throughout the cabin) but it is not soft and you will feel the irregularities and holes in the road. The Sports Package also has the active roll stabilization system which definitely makes cornering flatter and the suspension that much more responsive in the twisties.

Also. the big, fat, small-diameter steering wheel that comes with the Sports Package, is, to me, a huge improvement over the non-sport wheel. Some may find it too fat for their tastes, but to me, it forces you to grip the wheeel with two hands at the proper position, which is better for safe and precise driving.

The Sports Package also gives you the 20-way multi-contour seats. These are the most comfortable seats in a car that I have ever sat it. Their range of adjustment is huge and they really cradle you and make you feel locked into the car.

Bottom line is that the Sports Package is not for everyone. On 550, it adds a huge amount of enhancements but tacks on a lot of money to the price. To me, the cosmetic enhancements and the stiffer, more responsive ride were why I got it. Others, used to a softer, more compliant ride, may find it too rough for their tastes. Not me. If you are considering it, take a test drive, back to back, of the sport and non-sport versions of the E60 you want to buy/lease. That should make up your mind for you.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Good Evening,

Thanks
Even without driving a sport package equipped car i felt that the handling needed some improvement. This was especially apparent when riding up at Bear Mountain on twisty roads there is just too much body roll which is why I made some modifications. I'd say non sport makes for a decent luxury ride though. I'd try both then make a decision.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ' post='826919' date='Mar 25 2009, 10:38 PM
Even without driving a sport package equipped car i felt that the handling needed some improvement. This was especially apparent when riding up at Bear Mountain on twisty roads there is just too much body roll which is why I made some modifications. I'd say non sport makes for a decent luxury ride though. I'd try both then make a decision.
The Sports Package with its stiffened suspension and active roll stabilization really does do away with the body roll -- at the price of a somewhat rougher ride. I love it.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:38 PM
Members

I totally agree with some post on here when a member described the sports package as "riding on rails" I have the sports package with 20 inch staggered rims and the car feels better then a ride at Magic Mountain when going around hills. But I do have to agree that you have to appreciate "feeling" the bumps" a little bit.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

It all depends if you what BMW mods or after market mods
But a sport Package mod is a must if you love driving.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:58 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Good Evening,

Thanks

DEFINITELY SPORT PACKAGE!!! That's it.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:54 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My E70 X5 3.0Si Sport and my 2008 E60 525i Sport LE

Ive driven my friends 2008 E60 530i with a 3rd party exhaust no power just sound of an "545" well my car feels crispier and looks sportish.

Its your choice but I would go for Sport Package
Old 03-26-2009, 02:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='826916' date='Mar 26 2009, 04:34 AM
I couldn't imagine getting a 5 Series without the Sports Package which is why I've gotten it in the two 5 Series cars that I've leased.
I agree.

However, if you get SP, I would ditch the RFT immediately - IMHO, the ride is too harsh with both.

If you lease the car, put the RFT back on when you turn it in.

Quick Reply: Sports Package?