E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sports Package for 530i

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 05:44 PM
RAI
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sport package transforms the E60 into a hi-tech wonder, instead of just another ride. The anti-roll feature has to be experienced to be believed. Incredible! And, it's smart enough to disengage when driving straight down the road, so there's virtually no ride penalty. The bigger tires do give a somewhat firmer ride, but it's not objectionable. I wouldn't have an E60 without it. Try it out- that's the only way you'll know.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades

So I take it the Sports Package is worth it. On to the next question - Are you guys running run flats or regular tires?
[/quote]

I had run flats from the factory...I never had any road noise or undue harshness from them however when they wore out I replaced them with Pirelli P Zero Neros which are an all season sport tire..They are better in the rain and snow than the runflats I had and were also half the price through Tire Rack.com
Old 04-04-2006, 06:12 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mch' post='264745' date='Apr 4 2006, 08:13 PM
I picked up my 2006 530i without Sport Package two weeks ago. The car does have a bit of body roll, but I was scared off by the many complaints about the run flats and I need all season tires for winter driving. Also, the Sport Package did not include the Comfort seats in 2006.
The car can't have more than 1% body roll with Sport Package - ARS adjusts the body once it over 1%.
As for Sports package on a BMW - this is simply a MUST.
Most BMW wheels are made by BBS if I'm not mistaken, so they should be pretty light.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:13 PM
Members

If given a choice between getting a 530 with Sports Package (18" Style 123 wheels) vs a base 530 with H&R Coilovers + 19" M5 rims (19" Style 166) which one would you guys choose?

If I went the latter route, I could still use the stock 17" as winter rims.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 Silver Grey 545i, Steptronic, Black Leather, Poplar Trim, Sport Package, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Nav, PDC, Cold Weather Package, Sun Shades, X-pel clear bra

Originally Posted by Arjun' post='264758' date='Apr 4 2006, 09:13 PM
If given a choice between getting a 530 with Sports Package (18" Style 123 wheels) vs a base 530 with H&R Coilovers + 19" M5 rims (19" Style 166) which one would you guys choose?

If I went the latter route, I could still use the stock 17" as winter rims.
I can't say I am an expert in coilovers- but that being said, I would choose the Sports Package which has ARS and not think twice about it. The sports package is that good and it is covered by BMW warranty. Again, I can't say the coilover option is not good or better, I am sure others will know, but the sports package is that good, why not just order the car that way.

You can get the style 166 later and then use the style 123 wheels for winter.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:20 PM
Members

Originally Posted by nicknec' post='264765' date='Apr 4 2006, 10:51 PM
I can't say I am an expert in coilovers- but that being said, I would choose the Sports Package which has ARS and not think twice about it. The sports package is that good and it is covered by BMW warranty. Again, I can't say the coilover option is not good or better, I am sure others will know, but the sports package is that good, why not just order the car that way.
Valid points you make there. My big hesitation is that I'm used to stiffer conventional coilovers rather than electronic driving aids such as ARS (which most tuning houses eventually discard in favor of conventional coilovers - look at Brabus for example).

Thanks for all the input guys. This site has proved to be very informative.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:29 AM
Senior Members

runflats come from the factory. But i would advice you to get them changed over
Old 04-05-2006, 07:45 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

Amoung with many options on e60. Sports package is a few that worth every penny.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:41 AM
Members

My Ride: Current car: 2006 530ia On Order for December ED: 2009 335i coupe

Originally Posted by Arjun' post='264771' date='Apr 4 2006, 11:20 PM
Valid points you make there. My big hesitation is that I'm used to stiffer conventional coilovers rather than electronic driving aids such as ARS (which most tuning houses eventually discard in favor of conventional coilovers - look at Brabus for example).

Thanks for all the input guys. This site has proved to be very informative.
Not all tuning houses are against ARS, in fact some are strong proponents. Here is a quote from Steve Dinan when he reviewed the new E60 M5 in the November 2004 issue of Roundel:

"The handling is sure footed, even though I would like to see more tire up front and active roll bars to reduce the understeer. One of my favorite new technologies is BMW's active anti-roll bars! I am disappointed that this particular technology wasn't incorporated into the car.

I like active anti-roll bars so much because they solve a problem I have wrestled with for almost 30 years. You see, when a car goes through a slower corner, the amount of understeer increases at a time whey you would actually like less understeer. In very fast corners, you want a little understeer for stability reasons-and comfort level-because the car actually understeers less due to the physical as well as aerodynamic reasons (not to mention the mental ones that creep into your head at very high speed). The active anti-roll bars can be programmed to maintain a consistent balance in the car throughout the speed range. They also can detect inside rear wheel spin on corner exit and stiffen the front bar while softening the rear, allowing the car to put down more power."
Old 04-05-2006, 09:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 e60 Titanium grey Auburn premium Sport 6-speed Logic-7 folding rear seats with ski bag Bi-xenon Cold weather package

Do it - don't think twice. the handling is great and the look is better. Also, you now get better seats.

Quick Reply: Sports Package for 530i