E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Is the sports automatic transmission just paddles + shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 07:37 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='376821' date='Jan 11 2007, 10:11 AM
Forgive me for quoting again:
The OP is from EU and I am quoting from EU (specifically UK) launch documentation.

It is clear that for example for the 535d (which incidentally I believe is what the OP has his eye on) that there is an auto box on the 535d and there is a sports auto box with FASTER shift times.

Dunno about the US market.

ABC

Again... it's all down to how the marketingspeak gets interpreted. That's about the only thing that's clear at this point.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:38 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='376863' date='Jan 11 2007, 04:37 PM
Again... it's all down to how the marketingspeak gets interpreted. That's about the only thing that's clear at this point.
If you look at my previous post, I wonder how many ways the quote could be interpreted?

I make it one.

Others may differ.

ABC
Old 01-11-2007, 08:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='376821' date='Jan 11 2007, 03:11 PM
Forgive me for quoting again:
The OP is from EU and I am quoting from EU (specifically UK) launch documentation.

Well, that documentation was not released to the press/public (it was leaked wasn't it). It was an internal presentation used for an internal briefing from UK marketing to UK dealers. Is it possible, even for a second, that marketing just got it kind of wrong and are misinforming even their own dealer network (stranger things have happened). I have worked with a lot of marketing groups and have seen this happen from time to time as they get carried away by the their own hyperbole.

I say that because it's quite interesting that the offical BMW UK Press release uses different language ... "One press of the Sport button behind the gear lever allows shifts to be made using steering wheel mounted paddles to deliver even faster, more dynamic, changes.". Now that is as ambiguous as the US press release.

I think, regarding this topic, we need to be put out of our misery once and for all. Could someone on this forum who works for a dealership (or has some connection with BMW) please get the specifics of this 'sports automatic transmission' for us.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:37 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='376900' date='Jan 11 2007, 05:28 PM
Is it possible, even for a second, that marketing just got it kind of wrong and are misinforming even their own dealer network (stranger things have happened).
Glad to see you've been converted from rumour and speculation.

I was using old currency.

ABC
Old 01-11-2007, 08:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='376865' date='Jan 11 2007, 04:38 PM
If you look at my previous post, I wonder how many ways the quote could be interpreted?

I make it one.

Others may differ.

ABC
I agree that there aren't too many interpretations. However, "your experience may differ" in reality. I just wonder how can they offer a significantly faster shift for ?70, unless it's just a reprogramming of the gearbox ECU, and if that is the case, how much faster will it really be?

(Edit: plus the misinterpretation possibility, as Raighne pointed out)
Old 01-11-2007, 08:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='376865' date='Jan 11 2007, 11:38 AM

I make it one.

Others may differ.

ABC

Please take this all in the spirit of healthy debate... I'm not trying to be combative. It's just that I see, live, eat, and breath lots of dodgy marketing-speak... decoding it succesfully is key. With that said, what we have to decode is making my "Spidey senses tingle". I can see lots of ways to interpret.

First, there's an asterisk. We can assume that the asterisk is meant to forward our attention to the special availability message in paretheses, or... it could be referencing a footnote that isn't attached that might clarify what is meant by "faster shift times". Second, faster how? Is it a system that truly actuates shifts more quickly, or simply a human interface that could allow a driver to operate it in a different manner and theoretically achieve "faster shift times"... say from the moment they decide to change gears to when they follow through with action. The chain of action as I see it consists of the driver deciding to shift a gear, executing the act (or acts) that sets the transmission's act of making a gear change into motion, and the eventual gear change itself. We don't really know which part of that chain they intend to describe. To assume it is the transmission's mechanical chain only would be premature given the information we have at this point.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:15 AM
Senior Members

Not a problem. Never has been.

The astrerisk refers to June 2007 availability (for that gearbox).

From my quote I make 2 gearboxes (one manual and one auto) immediately available and one gearbox (sports automatic) available June 2007 (according to the document).

They do use the term "three gearboxes" but as all the disbelievers among us, that COULD mean... anything..

ABC
Old 01-11-2007, 09:17 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='376769' date='Jan 11 2007, 01:02 PM
So the more I read about the 'Sports Automatic Transmission' available from June production, the more confused I get about what it actually is. There are mixed, unclear messages from BMW marketing which makes it kind of hard to decide whether it's worth waiting for.

The big question is...

- apart from the slightly different shifter and the addition of paddles is there any difference between the actual transmission itself (standard vs. sport)?
On the E90, the ?70 just buys the paddles... (No talk of different shift times?)
Old 01-11-2007, 09:21 AM
Senior Members

Semi duplicate. Sorry.

ABC
Old 01-11-2007, 09:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='376906' date='Jan 11 2007, 05:37 PM
Glad to see you've been converted from rumour and speculation.
I only allow myself to indulge in rumour and speculation during the 'anticipation phase' where is too much fun to imagine the possibilities.
Now that vapour has turned to substance it's time to get a bit more serious.

;-)

We are not so different after all.

Quick Reply: Is the sports automatic transmission just paddles + shifter?