E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sports auto gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 10:16 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Looking at buying a 535d M sport. Is the sports gearbox with quicker response in gear change standard or was it an option that came with the gear change paddles on the steering wheel?

Is there much difference?
Old 11-29-2010, 12:39 AM
Members

Hi,

I've seen a couple 535d advertised with the sports gearbox and the gear shift paddles on the steering wheel. Other than the paddles is the gearbox the same as in all 535d with the M sport package or is the gearshift quicker?

Thanks
Old 11-29-2010, 02:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

I have a 2007 535d LCI with the autobox. I added the SAT shifter later and I love it - the actual transmission hardware is identical but you get electronic updates that change behavior and speed of gearchange. You get two steering wheel resistance modes, shifts are quicker, more aggressive throttle response and the gear is held when you release the throttle. Defintely recommendable to get a car that has it as it is somewhat pricy to do yourself; you need to change the steering wheel, gearshifter and some trim pieces and you need coding so it can easily run more than a thousand bucks. Car is quick and powerful without it but it is much more fun to play with when you have the SAT.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:49 AM
Members

Hi Thanks Navarro for the reply, So if I read your post correctly the changes are quicker than a car without the paddles?
Old 11-29-2010, 03:09 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would something like this work? http://www.burgertuning.com/paddleshift.html
This one is specifically for 1 and 3 series though.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

Originally Posted by dazzpowder
Hi Thanks Navarro for the reply, So if I read your post correctly the changes are quicker than a car without the paddles?
It's not the paddles per say, it's the SAT. I've modded my car with just the SAT, without the paddles, and I get the quicker shift. It all comes from the ECU which is at the base of the gearshift lever. I'm adding paddles soon but that is just a small part of the SAT.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:23 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Persian_535i
Would something like this work? http://www.burgertuning.com/paddleshift.html
This one is specifically for 1 and 3 series though.
not for the 5 series, and if OP is looking for faster gearshift, the paddles alone wont do it, you need the ECU in the gearshift lever.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 BMW ///M5 V10

wrong section, but yes it shifts a lot quicker and it is optional
Old 11-29-2010, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by dazzpowder
Hi,

Looking at buying a 535d M sport. Is the sports gearbox with quicker response in gear change standard or was it an option that came with the gear change paddles on the steering wheel?

Is there much difference?
"quicker response" = SAT (sport automatic transmission), which includes the steering wheel paddle shifters...
Old 11-29-2010, 12:41 PM
Members

Sorry I couldn't find this post as I'd posted it in the wrong section. Thanks for the replies. Mods please delete

Quick Reply: Sports auto gearbox