E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

sport package and run flats

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 12:39 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need your advice again. I almost pulled the trigger today on a new 528 with prem, sport, nav, ipod, and sirius. I was all ready to sign but the questions I've had about the sport package and the run flats made me hesitate. I've been reading that the tires and sport pkg give the car a much lower profile and so it's more suceptible to road debris and driveway damage. I love how the car w/ the sports package drives, but I have to admit everything I've read has me a bit worried. What has your experience been? Is the car all that much lower with the run flats and sports pkg? Do you think it makes a big difference in terms of road and driveway damage?

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, A/T & Paddle Shifters, AW, NB Leather, Sport, Premium, Nav, 6FL

Originally Posted by oceanbluela' post='632733' date='Jul 25 2008, 01:39 PM
I need your advice again. I almost pulled the trigger today on a new 528 with prem, sport, nav, ipod, and sirius. I was all ready to sign but the questions I've had about the sport package and the run flats made me hesitate. I've been reading that the tires and sport pkg give the car a much lower profile and so it's more suceptible to road debris and driveway damage. I love how the car w/ the sports package drives, but I have to admit everything I've read has me a bit worried. What has your experience been? Is the car all that much lower with the run flats and sports pkg? Do you think it makes a big difference in terms of road and driveway damage?

Thanks for your help.
Get the car then get new tires! Case solved!!!
Old 07-25-2008, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

+1, just get the sport package and get yourself some non-flats off of tirerack.com
Old 07-25-2008, 01:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

The runflats aren't the cause of issues with low profile tires. They might actually help prevent wheel damage from pot holes, railroad tracks, etc by being stiffer.

Re driveways, even the sport package equiped cars are no worse than others due to the short front overhang. You can't go 4 wheeling or get too close to parking curbs but its not as bad as some make it sound.

PS: Most of what I read seems to be a "standard disclaimer" so that you don't go crazy with the car and blame BMW because you drove over a parking curb or took railroad tracks at 60 MPH and damaged a wheel.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:07 PM
5r1
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Blk/Blk Sport Package

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='632738' date='Jul 25 2008, 03:49 PM
+1, just get the sport package and get yourself some non-flats off of tirerack.com
Wise words.

You will love the sport package once you drive it
Old 07-25-2008, 01:11 PM
Members

Following everyone above, loved the sport package, the drop was great without sacrificing comfort, get the sport and then change the tires later.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 5r1' post='632745' date='Jul 25 2008, 05:07 PM
Wise words.

You will love the sport package once you drive it
In-between purchases buy wheel and tire insurance. There are reasonably priced deals that will take some of the sting out of wheel or tire damage. If you go for the expensive dealer packages they will have a higher level of ($$) coverage.

I actually like the RFT's but find myself super-vigilant watching out for potholes! I think it's more a matter of very low profile tires combined with ultra-stiff sidewalls that are unforgiving. While conventional tires with more flexible sidewalls will absorb more shock ... the RFT's transmit it to the wheel.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:30 PM
Members

I faced the same decision and actually ordered my car without the sport package for that reason.

But I later reconsidered based on overwhelming opinions that the sport package is a "must have" option.

I purchased a BMW for performance so it only makes sense to get every performance-related option that BMW has to offer.

I drove a non-sport xi for a few weeks until my car arrived. The sport is simply more fun to drive. The biggest factor is ARS. I make extra turns just for fun
Old 07-25-2008, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by RaveD' post='632757' date='Jul 25 2008, 02:30 PM
I purchased a BMW for performance so it only makes sense to get every performance-related option that BMW has to offer.

well said...
Old 07-25-2008, 02:19 PM
Members

Thanks everyone. I am going back to the dealer right now and make the transaction. With the sports package!
I'm excited! Thanks!

Quick Reply: sport package and run flats